Saturday, July 14

The windows

I started on the porch window. Removed the storm windows, which will be cleaned, repaired, re-screened, and painted before they go back up.

I scraped most of the paint from the frame, and removed what was left of the caulking... Well, it was all still there, it just didn't span the gap in most places. With luck, the implications of that, multiplied by the number of windows in the house, will soon be forced from my memory for good. (Oh, and the surprise yellow - you can see it in that shot above, there.)

Things were moving along quite nicely. Zorak was busy beside me, doing the fine sanding on the overhead areas. The kids were playing, the birds were singing. I was getting pretty excited about this whole thing.
And you know how you start to gain momentum once you've begun a task you've been dreading? You really don't want to haul back on that. So, I figured I'd go ahead and scrape the bars and muntins while I was there, feelin' good, gettin' it done. They needed it -
Yeah! Let's do it! Let's clean these bad boys! Let's -
OH MY WORD, Honey!! Honey, it's rotted! I've broken it! It just... oh, my... popped. right. off. *whimper*

Zorak looked at it and didn't flinch. That's because he recognized it as window glazing, not strangely rotted wood. Whereas I had convinced myself, back when I was painting all 80,000 linear feet of them on the interior, that they were fake muntins!

No, those are individual panes of glass. How quaint! There are no points in there, just the glazing holding them all in. Thankfully, we don't live in a quake-prone area...

So, we didn't get the eaves primed. Then it began to rain, and from the look of the satellite images, it's going to rain most of the week. We need the rain. The eaves probably don't particularly care for it, but the farmers will appreciate it. And we can always prime next week. That'll give me a week to learn how to glaze windows!

4 comments:

Jennie C. said...

God bless you! You sure do have a good attitude. I'm dreading a few beginnings around here, too...

Consent of the Governed said...

Oh Dy - My Dutch Colonial was built in 1918 and we just had 27 new Harvey windows installed this past spring.. they are lovely and more energy efficient.. well worth every penny.. I even saved on the tail end of heating season..no more scraping - repointing, painting, and now every single window works perfectly.
I was at first loathe to get rid of such "history" of our house.. the old glazing etc., but I gotta tell ya.. the new ones look great and are so easy to clean.
No more storm windows to clean.
The look of the house remained intact as well.

You really ought to look into it.

Laura said...

Lookin' good! I loved my real "six over six" windows we had in our house in NC. I have no idea from whose brain the idea for fake muntins came. What's the point?

Bob and Claire said...

I've never actually seen little panes that are real--we sure have the fake wood frame on the inside of our windows for that classic Colonial look. I'm so afraid Anna is going to snap one and break it someday.

So you didn't get the eaves primed, but you know what? I am so impressed that you are always charging ahead and starting big projects. I just can not get motivated to start things that I know I will not be able to accomplish in a fairly quick amount of time since I'll be interrupted so often. Instead, I piddle around on the computer, or read a few articles in the newspaper--not bad things, but certainly nothing of lasting value, LOL! I need a motivation pill or something. : )