Tuesday, July 10

More Reading Roundup

The boys and I also finished this week A Wrinkle in Time. That was a bit intense, I think, but we talk a lot about what we read and that helps. We moved the reading to mornings at snack and that worked much better than bedtime reading. There's a family tree in the back, which the boys spent quite a bit of time pouring over, and now they can hardly wait to get the rest of the series.

We spiked our bedtime reading with the second of the Indian in the Cupboard series, The Return of the Indian. This one is a bit darker than the first, and not as many laughs from the boys. They're still enjoying it, and it's good, in a different way.

Our current dish of Mental M&M's is the first book in the Young Jack Sparrow series. Total M&M's, and it's delightful. Well, no, not delightful. Not for me. There are far too many hints at romance between Young Jack and the Young Barmaid Arabella, for my comfort. Yet, James is getting older... oh, this makes my stomach hurt. Can we talk about something else?

Yes, the latest printouts from the Robinson disks are big hits. James is re-reading The Tale of Jolly Robin, and Our Hero, U.S. Grant, and he's thoroughly, deeply, and happily enjoying both of them. Of course, I'm starting him back quite a bit from his reading level, and we've agreed to play catchup over the summer. After reading Famous Men of Rome and Eagle of the Ninth this past year, these selections feel downright frolicsome. But I think it's good to frolic on occasion. It's good to slip back and re-read old favorites, re-explore the things you may not have picked up along the way the first time around. One day he'll be far too old to read Pollard's histories (which are geared for "the little boy, from six to twelve"), and as she says in her introduction,
"The big boy, who does not have to stop to spell out the long words and guess what they mean, will turn up his nose at it. But let him. That will not hurt us. It is the small boy we have set out to please..."
One day, in the not-to-far future, he won't be bothered with anything like this. I'm so glad we didn't miss out completely.

John's reading all the poetry he can get his hands on, and (joy-of-joys!) he's reading the Young Jack Sparrow books on his own, as well. He reads ahead, then sits in for the read-aloud. I offered to change our order or even move to reading something else aloud, but he's enjoying this the way it is, and I'm not about to complain when the children are enjoying books in their own way. How else are we to make them "ours"?

Smidge "does school" every day now. It's cute. He's quite good at it, and knows far more than Zorak or I really understood. You can't learn by osmosis, but you can certainly learn more in a rich and varied environment, where you hear the lessons of your siblings daily and sit in on history lessons and bigger read alouds. Look at any younger homeschooled sibling and you'll see it in action. I forget about that. He wants so badly to have his own binder and "signments". I give him enough to keep him happy and keep him moving in a good direction. But with this one, I remember it wasn't too long ago that James was the one with the round little face and the squat little body and the days that seem filled with all the joys that toddlerhood offers. We won't be rushing that out the door any time soon.

We won't be rushing at all, if we can help it. The journey's just too interesting, and the company is too good.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

L said...

Glad to be sharing your interesting journey and your good company!

Little Smidge with his 'signments', how cute!

Anonymous said...

oh Dy - I sure hope you are taking lots of pictures of your kids.. although the mental kind are good too.
I vividly remember one of mine (who is 20 now) showing up in Indian headress and war paint with bow in hand announcing proudly "I'm a chief" ... ahh those were good ole days (except when he pushed a kidney bean in his ear and we had to run to the doctor and get it flushed out, and I had no idea what was in there to begin with)
I miss those little people but at the same time love the big ones they have grown into. Now he's the tall lanky kid college boy studying computer networking and sporting a goatee and my daughter's 15 year old friends say "he's hot" (and she winces as if in enormous pain when she hears that).
Oh my word.. I would really love to have an opportunity to sit down and have a cup of coffee with you too.
Although maybe I shouldn't give you such a big glimpse into your potential future with those babies.. LOL

Dy said...

L - I enjoy your company, but do you have ANY idea how much you are missed? :-(

Judy, I really enjoy reading your son's writing. Then I panic, and start pestering Zorak to let me send the boys to you. And to let me go, too. Because I want you to homeschool *me*!

I'll bet it does just kill his sister to have her friends say *such things* about her brother. I remember having friends with brothers, and those friends thought I had very strange taste, indeed. *giggle*

We've enjoyed every stage, even the ones that make us a little weak in the knees. I look forward to the future with these little ones, as well. Thank you for being so encouraging.

Dy

Consent of the Governed said...

Thanks - re: my son's writing.. he's on hiatus now.. I keep pestering him to get back to his blogging because I miss his posts .. but work has been busy and he's been traveling a bit.. it's hard to blog AND have a social life.. especially when you are 23 LOL.

I am actually homeschooling my mom.. she is working towards getting her high school diploma..
she's funny too because she sounds much like my daughter .."why do I have to know this"

hugs.. me

Jules said...

I love the picture you paint of your homeschool. It sounds so idyllic and peaceful! Where are those fighting brothers? Where is that crying baby?

Oh, yeah. They're at MY house!! ;)