Thursday, March 3

What? Do More!?!

Sometimes we are asked to do more than we are doing now, or ever have done before.

That's not always fun.
Or easy.
Sometimes it is.
And that's nice.
But it can still be scary.

The question I beg, though, is how do you rise to the challenge?

This isn't about taking on more than you can handle or schedule. This isn't about trying to be everything to everyone. This is about reaching deeper inside yourself and finding the strength to do far more than you thought possible, when you are truly called upon to do just that. It's something that would benefit society greatly if more of us would do it on a regular basis.

Running is an often-used analogy for this concept. Sarah knows the feeling of running those extra few miles, reaching deeper than the burn in your lungs and coming out with an accomplishment well-earned. She has done that with her children, as well, burrowing deeper and harder to uncover just the thing her children will need, no matter how exhausting it is, or how often she wants to run screaming from the room. She keeps digging.

My wonderful friend, Melissa, has plumbed the depths of her heart, strength and humor to keep her home running smoothly while her husband is often gone, working hard. If you'd asked her fifteen years ago, "could you do it?" She'd have probably looked at you wonky and snorted before she said, "No way!" But here she is today, rich in humor, hope, strength and love, pulling it off. And yes, again with the desire to run screaming from the house on occasion. But that's not the point.

I could go on, listing examples of women who, when asked to Do More for their homes, their families, their countries and their faiths, have taken that slow, scary deep breath... and done it. I'm so fortunate to be acquainted with a great many women who have willingly and wholeheartedly Done More.

Most of the time, Zorak doesn't ask me to do much more than our original agreement (love, honor, bleach the whites). Granted, the boundaries are somewhat fluid, shifting back and forth as circumstances necessitate, but for the most part I've always known what he needed and what I could do. Sometimes I've failed him when he needed the basics. Sometimes I've been able to Do More for him than even he expected. It's not easier to Do More, but it's much better for everyone that way.

I do feel that God, on the other hand, has often glanced at me sideways and whispered, "I need a little more from you, Dy." This comes in subtle ways, such as unemployment or illness or some other upheaval which I cannot control. It comes in obvious ways, such as the daily commitment to do the best by each of the boys, to lift them up and show them the world around them through the eyes of beauty.

I can't think of any specific way to identify when you're being asked to Do More, but if you'll listen and pay attention, then you will know. It's not what you think you can do, it's deeper. And so worth it.

So, all this to say, it's time to Do More here. I'm bracing for it. It'll be good, but I'm sure I'll keep a clear path to the door for when I hit that running-screaming stage. I'm in good company, and want to thank each of you ladies for Doing More, and for doing it with humor and grace and style. Thank you for setting that example and being an encouragement.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Amy said...

Well, good grief. Did you read my mind or my blog?

Signed,

Utterly Overwhelmed

Laney said...

As a runner, I too can relate to your post. I always know when God is asking me to do more and my first reaction is "You have got to be kidding me, God!" But then He reminds me that His calling is His enabling and I can do ALL things through Him who strengthens me. If you knew me 3 years ago you would never believe that I would be a homeschooling mom! LOL!!
Dy, I know we just "met" but from what I read of your character, I know that the Doing More is going to get done by you.
May God bless you richly for your obedience, my friend.

Laney

Kim said...

I love this posts, and the one before this. I well remember eight years ago being told by God that was going to be asked to "Do More" and it did involve a move away from my comfortable life. It was hard, but I'm so glad I went through it.

Just the other day, I was saying to my dh "I wish I just didn't have to be so many things to so many people; it's exhausting."

I'm excited for the potential for change in your life; it means God is at work.

Hugs.

melissa said...

Girl your the "Do More" queen, and you don't even know it!! We start out thinking, "NO! God, I can't!" Then we do. Because we know it's the "Right Thing". And we end up thinking, "Man, I'm so glad that I didn't miss out on that". All we have to do is follow, and lean on Him for the rest. Because, come to think of it, we are ALL inadequate for the task at hand. You are such an encouragement to me. You are a great Mom to those boys, and you are wise beyond your years. Have an awesome day, and (raising coffee cup), Here's to Change!!
Melissa
P.S. Too funny, below, about the car tags!

Thom said...

You really hit the nail on the head,here. This blog has really touched my heart.Thanks.

And,yes. My sister IS awesome.
You homeschoolin' moms truly amaze and inspire me.

Have a great day,Dy!

Anonymous said...

Well, aren't I feeling like my back's been patted. Thanks for the unexpected lift. I didn't expect it, and coming from you it means a lot.

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Great post Dy! It seems that God has big plans for you and through it you will be sanctified. Amy, I thought the same thing. :) Blessings. Janet.