Friday, March 25

Good Friday Morning!

A little morning blog just because I'm feeling particularly motivated. (lucky you, eh?)

What are you reading these days? James has decided he'd rather not tell me about what he's reading, as he thinks that'll discourage me from reading the book myself. Hmmm. OK. Well, Kiddo, this is going to call for drastic measures... so I have to completely mangle the story as I narrate to him, leaving him in stitches and correcting all my bizarre inventions. It is, really, a great way to see if your child grasped what he read. (It's also just a lot of fun!)

If we can find some Mommy 'n James time, I'd like to start reading The Eagle of the Ninth, by Rosemary Sutcliff, together. It's not quite on a level where John would enjoy it so much, but I do think James would enjoy it tremendously if we read it together, the way we read The Hobbit. The difficult part is finding time alone to read together. Who'd have thought that would be one of the big "issues" in a home?

Seriously, it is. I don't know about you guys, but there's no way I'm going to tell any child that he can't read with us, can't be a part of that effervescent magic that comes of reading together on quiet nights. I'm not going to deny him the mystery of pure imagination as it comes to life on each page. Just not gonna happen. Literature is too precious a gift to refuse to someone on the premise that he "might not get it". If he enjoys it and craves it, then he'll benefit from it, even if it goes straight over his head. The time spent together, sharing something delicious is a worthy endeavor. So, if John wants to read with us, then naturally, we'll do it together. But I do need to find a way to make room for that equally magical "one on one" time that James, in particular, craves with all he has.

Today's our day off, but seeing that we all have a pretty nasty dose of cabin fever and no transportation, I think we may do light lessons, just to offer up a little routine to the day. Like an extra day of math is going to kill 'em, anyway, right? Then maybe a walk out back to look for nests. We'll bake a little banana rice bread later on this morning and hopefully Zorak will bring us the Suburban at lunch so we can head over the Big, Scary Bridge to do some shopping and go stare at the otters.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

melissa said...

Woo-hoo look at you! All up, bright eyed and posting so early this morning! I am glad that I can leave comments today! I HOPE with all my heart that you at least have CREAMER today. I could give you my list entitled: Things I Have Used For Creamer . It's down-right scary what a desperate woman will put into her coffee.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the reading- my dd (5 at that time) insisted on listening when I was reading The Children's Homer to ds, even though the depictions of war were way too much for her- she would sit with us, but cover her little ears. It was so cute.
Hey, can I have your recipe for banana rice bread? I have been so unmotivated for allergy cooking lately, and this morning there is absolutely no breakfast food in the pantry.
What I need are some foolproof recipes that I can just hand to dd- she loves to bake. I wish I knew why I didn't right now!
Have a great day, I need to go play drill sargent now.
LB