Monday, March 21

So... How many David Allen Coe songs do you really know?

You know, I'll admit that I'm a cubby-holer. Until people have permanently embedded themselves into my psyche, I have to leave them tucked neatly into little mental cubby holes. This is purely for info retrieval purposes, here. Remember, I have no actual memory, and don't cite sources. I'm the one who couldn't produce a decent bibliography if Zorak was being held hostage by the editors of The Little Brown Handbook! But I digress.

My point being that I am generally surprised to get comments from ladies (and guys), who I already think are pretty interesting folks, sharing that they not only know who some random artist is, but that this knowledge was garnered voluntarily, rather than via the merciless bombardment of an old boyfriend (or some other equally heinous torture). I don't know why, but that is so much fun! I'm regularly pleasantly surprsied by this. Just one of life's little pleasures. We need to figure out the ultimate background music soundtrack for the Gathering of Imaginary Friends someday.

In the meantime, Chris (who is currently recovering from his adventures in cross country travel), suggested that we make a CD for the trip. Interestingly (or, to me, it is) we'd already decided it must be done. Sadly, it's probably gonna have to be a tape, b/c our CD burner is dead, and our stereo is from... um... alright, it had a turntable, ok? 'Nuff said. SO, being thankful we won't have to figure out how to make an 8-track, we're gathering great traveling songs to preserve for all posterity as "our moving music". What would you include on your tape (or CD, if you're particularly cool)?

Here are the guidelines:
1) Cheese is fine. Though we'll have to keep it to a limit. Certain types of Cheese are measurably more tolerable than others... if you know what I'm talking about, then feel free to go with the Cheese. Otherwise, I'm probably going to be full up on the Cheese Spread as it is.
2) It's got to have whatever it is that makes your head move independently of your shoulders, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. (Rap, however, is out. Sorry.)
3) Accordian, banjo, fiddle, electric guitar, bagpipes, sax, spoons and synthesizers are wholly acceptable instruments.
4) Organs are not.

OK, don't be shy. What music would you want to drive to?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, these probably around groovy enough for you, but I drive to uplifting "reason to keep driving" songs.

Phil Vassar's "Another Day In Paradise"

Indigo Girl's "Up on the Watershed"

Michelle Shocked "Come a Long Way"

Keith Urban "Somebody Like You"

Keith Urban "Who Wouldn't Want to Be Me?"

-Alaska

Anonymous said...

I will answer as long as I don't have to give Album titles- I have no memory for things like that. But I can name names..... anything by Billy Joel, Jimmy Buffet, John Prine, Chieftans, Jesse Winchester, Genesis (the old, old stuff, before Phil Collins), hmmm, who els? Oh! Little Feat, yeah, love to drive to Little Feat!
I also like to drive to music from other cultures. We have a great station here that plays stuff from Africa, from India, hawaii, etc. and I love driving to that.
It just has to be lyrical, or rockin' for me to drive to.
LB- I know, I still haven't answered my questions yet! My excuse is this 100 degree fever that my dd handed to me this weekend. I will post them tomorrow.
Signing off for the night, and going up to kiss the babies.
LB

Cheryl said...

Get the banjo in there. Something about a banjo just goes so well with travel. I recommend Pete Seeger. He has some great kid music too.

L said...

Allman Brothers: A Decade of Hits 1969-1979

Anything off this album, but especially for driving, "Jessica"

This is one of our family's all-time favorite albums, and what we pop in for long drives.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000001DUK/qid=1111496050/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/103-5651919-9851864?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Staci Eastin said...

Well, I think Billy Idol's "Mony Mony" would be good, considering one of your many posts that made me LOL.

Billy Joel's "My Life" is particularly good for moving. (Any Billy Joel makes me happy).

Older Van Halen, from Zorak and Theodore's day ("Dance the Night Away", "Jamie's Crying")

Foreigner, but "Hot Blooded" might not be the kind of song you want your kids singing.

Jimmy Buffet, but again, kids knowing the lyrics to "Margaritaville" might not be considered a good thing by some people.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy,

Congrats on the move. Here are some of mine, off the top of my head before my first cup of coffee:

Get Back, Billy Preston

Southland in the Springtime, Indigo Girls

So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright, Simon and Garfunkel

Tupelo Honey, Van Morrison

Graceland, Paul Simon

Ramble on Rose or US Blues, Grateful Dead

Stars Fell on Alabama, version with Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald

The Bells, Phil Ochs

That's it for me, at least this early in the morning!

Staci Eastin said...

Oh, duh.

"Sweet Home Alabama" by Lynard Skynard, MUST be on the driving tape.

Sheila said...

Ok, I'm a giant child of the 80's and these aren't kid friendly.

Here's my driving list:
Peter Gabriel: "Solosbury Hill" and "In Your Eyes"

U2: "Elevation" Dance alert on Elevation

Red Hot Chilli Pepers: "Otherside" and "Aeroplane"

Johnny Cash: Folsom Prison Live

Psychedelic Furs: "Until She Comes" and "The Ghost in You"

Violent Femmes 1983 album

L said...

I second Sheila on the Cash. Any of the compilation recordings. We have a collection of songs 1955-1983 released by Columbia Country Classics (the case is long gone.) The subject matter gets a little sketchy at times, but boy are they fun to sing!

It always cracked us up when the baby would belt out, "I got stripes, stripes around my shoulders..."

This is one disc that stays tucked in the visor.

Stephanie not in TX said...

Hah! CD's nothin'. I have an iPod, heh heh heh.

Organ music is absolutely on my playlist, as I don't go far without my prog rock, and that includes Emerson, who often plays some form of organ.

Lots of accordian music in my stuff too. Mostly Hooters or people-who-work-with-Rob Hyman. (Largo is probably the best album you've never heard of.)

Def Leppard, Beatles, INXS, Matthew Sweet, Yes, Rush, Indigo Girls, Marty Willson-Piper, Blondie, Sweet, Barenaked Ladies, They Might Be Giants, Fleetwood Mac, Duran Duran, Dar Williams, Squeeze, the Church, Spock's Beard, the Flower Kings, the Pogues, Crowded House, Clock, NIN, Marillion, the Buggles, Joan Osborne, Queen, the Chieftans. Phantom and Les Mis.

And then of course, Beethoven's Wig, Peter and the Wolf, Trout Fishing in America and They Might Be Giants' "Here Come the ABCs." For the kids. Being my kids, though, they also like Emerson, Lake and Powell. We also listen to books on tape on long drives. Going back and forth to Chicago we got through the unabridged Fellowship and Two Towers.

We load it all in and push shuffle (well, not on the books). We make different playlists based on types of music, for whatever suits our mood. Then we each have our own playlists for when the other is out of the car ;-)

I'd be pretty happy with Sheila's mix, too. (I *love* Elevation and Solisbury Hill)

Music used to be my life. Lots of it. All kinds. All the time. Any show I could get to.

BTW, I wasn't able to comment before, for some reason. But I'm glad you're going to Alabama. I can "see" you there much more easily. I think you'll like it.