Wednesday, March 30

Depressing Book, Great Read

The Language Police, by Diane Ravitch. I know there are perhaps ten other people out there who haven't yet read this book. You must rectify that situation shortly. This book is well-written, and while she does have a certain personal bias which comes through, it's faint. She does a very good job of showing how both sides of the political spectrum have sacrificed our children's educational quality in a wrestling match for control of the children's minds. Egads. What a scary bit of knowledge.

Read, read, read. Whether you like it. Or agree with it. Or enjoy it. Or not. Read all you can and infuse your mind with all the knowledge you can possibly absorb. Then start the process of sorting and sifting, of making judgements and mulling over. Then, since you'll have more room (and an ever-improving filing system) read some more!

Don't let the world of learning become a lethargic exercize in uselessness in your home, or for your children!

And while you're reading to those babies, give 'em kisses!
~Dy

6 comments:

Kim said...

Well, I'm one of the ten who haven't read it yet. You know, this is the first time I think I've heard of it. Sounds like a book I should read.

Thom said...

I'll add it to my ever-growing "Things I Need to Read, but Haven't Yet" list.
So many books, so little time! ;0)

melissa said...

Well, if Thomasina, Kim and I all read it that just leaves 7 more poor souls. We are hopefully going to make it to the library today. I'll pick it up. Hope that you guys had a great day yesterday in the sunshine!

Anonymous said...

Make that 6 more poor souls.

SFP said...

I haven't read it, but I've had it on my desk for the last couple of weeks. The last library patron who'd checked it out kept it for months. . .

Cheryl said...

I think I'll check the library for this. I seem to remember getting it before but I never finished it.

You can find exerts from it on the net. I've read all those.