Monday, February 11

Monday, Monday...

Well, today turned out, um, not half bad.

The baseball rep said to talk to the Community Rec. President. I left a message for him. He had somebody else call me back.

She was baffled as to how we could have not known. I mean, they have it on the high school display board, and they sent letters home with the kids. How could we not have known?

Well, my eldest is nine, so I never go to the high school, and we aren't in the public school system, so we're out of that communication loop. Sorry. (Although, come to think of it, this isn't through the schools...)

She didn't seem to like those reasons, but she did stop being quite so curt. She then went on to explain that they've got to "run the numbers" first and see what the teams look like (sounds like the group is coordinated by bookies, doesn't it? It was difficult not to snicker when that thought hit me, but I was still on the phone, so I managed to stifle it.) They'll let me know by Wednesday if the boys can play. She said she figures Smidge can play, but doesn't know the status of the other two groups.

Um, yeah.

So, not sure how this is going to pan out. I can't see having Smidge play and making his brothers sit on the sidelines (especially John, who has spent all winter out there, practicing his batting, running and catching - although, interestingly enough, he was the most gracious about this whole thing when I explained what I'd done. What a doll.)

If they can't play, I will probably try the next nearest districts and see if they'll let us play for them this year. Something.

I still feel like a heel.

On the Forever Home front, Zorak priced the materials for the fence today, and it looks like it'll be not only easier to do than we'd thought, but will also cost less than we'd anticipated. Yay! It looks like it's going to rain Saturday, so I don't think we'll be renting the tractor or moving dirt. But we can build the fence panels in the basement and get them stained. Plus, it's easier to dig post holes in moist dirt, anyway, right? ;-)

Oh, and we have propane. For a while, we didn't have heat, though, and that had me freaked out. I went all Useless Chick in Adventure Movie when the whole system shut down entirely and started blinking at me. Called Zorak up and he donned his shiny armor and walked me through it, saving both the day and my sanity in the process. I was thisfar from loading everyone up and spending the day at the mall, just in case the place exploded. (It wasn't anything that bad, but it was if you'd asked my imagination ten minutes into trying to figure it out! I'm such a goober sometimes. And yes, the pilot was lit. I'm not THAT much of a goober. Or, at least I wasn't... today.)

Tonight, we sleep soundly, and warm. Tomorrow, we... do more stuff! Hurrah!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up. Helpless Chick - I think not. Overwhelmed Mom, perhaps.

Welcome to Gooberdom - I am the welcoming committee. I'm right there with you - although the mall does not have any appeal to me! I would go there to get warm, but I'd prefer the library or a thrift store. ;)

Dy said...

LOL, Pam! Thanks for the warm welcome to Gooberdom. I'd have picked the library or a thrift store, too, but they're both closed on Mondays around here. The mall has a bookstore, coffee, and a carousel, though, so I figured it wouldn't be a bad trade-off. :-D
Dy

Needleroozer said...

Oh.my.gosh. "Useless Chick in Adventure Movie" That's me!! And the whole pilot light question- that's me with the water heater!
Too funny.

I will think good thoughts about all the boys making it.
LB

momanna98 said...

It's the same with baseball here. The notes go home in the schools and well... we somehow get lucky every year. Either someone tells us, or we see it on the school sign. We haven't signed up this year yet, but we are pretty sure Sat is sign ups. I have been scared we missed it since your blog about missing it. D would be devastated if he couldn't play.

Becca said...

Oooh, I hope everything works with the baseball team. The whole communication loop really isn't fair, is it?

Jenni said...

Oh I *love* those conversations. How could you NOT know? Well, I'll tell you. Having kids in public school I now know that not all those notes make it home and only part of the time is it the kids' fault. Sometimes the teachers forget to hand them out and sometimes the office forgets to give them to the teachers.

We have two rival wrestling clubs here in this small town. (Small town politics and grudges are better than soap operas for entertainment.) The middle school secretary favors the other wrestling club. Apparently every year our wrestling club coach's wife gets those little notes to the school and the secretary sits on them until a week after the other wrestling club's notes have been passed out. Sometimes she never gives them to the teachers at all.

Don't feel bad. You're a good mama. You're doing everything you can to correct the mistake. Too bad you aren't superhuman with built in radar to detect when activity notes are being distributed in the public schools. I would ask if the league could put you on a list to notify when the schools get notified, but they will probably just forget when the time comes.