Thursday, February 7

Oh, they make me laugh.

The older two are working at the breakfast bar, finishing up their Latin. Smidge finished eating. He cleared his spot and ran down the hallway to finish getting dressed (why this is a two-part process, I do not know, but that's not the point of this post).

I heard John yell, "Walk!"

Now, the children tend to abuse any authority they might have over one another, so I try to discourage their desire to correct one another (even when they're right - yes, Smidge ought to have walked - John was just quicker on the draw than I). I'll allow it for life-endangering issues, but not for general purpose eye-poking. (There is a vain hope that if they know it's dangerous, then they'll be inclined to listen. This grand scheme, however, hinges on the others following that general pattern, which has yet to happen. And still, I persist. Go figure.)

So I said, in the same tone, "John!"

He replied, without skipping a beat, "Latin!"

Heh. Yeah. Latin.

They *know*. I know they know, because little exchanges like this tell me they've been listening. I have a choice: despair that they will never internalize and implement this knowledge; hope that eventually it will. sink. in.

I'm going for hope, today.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

That is hilarious. :)

Laney said...

He-he. Us mothers sure are predictable, aren't we.

Jules said...

Hi Dy! I heard about the tornadoes in the south and I had to pop in yesterday to see if everyone was alright! Glad to hear you weathered the storm okay.

I just wanted to let you know I have started blogging again. Stop in and see my new little spot in cyberspace sometime!

Take care!

Jules

melissa said...

LOL! Yep, never fear. It pops up at the strangest times. And it dawns on you......"Heyyyyyy, I'm not just repeating the exact same commands over, and over, and over only to have them fall on deaf ears." Ahhhh..it's those few triumphal moments that spring up here and there that get ya through, ya know?

Anonymous said...

I saw the tornado reports and came over to visit. SOOOOO glad to see you guys are safe and sound!!!

I'm just re-entering the blogosphere and re-connecting with all of the lovely folks I've lost contact with.

Please come visit when you have a free moment!!