Tuesday, February 26

Dirty Work... (Forever Home Update)

This is the view from the edge of the upper meadow. Thanks to the pesky law of gravity, and water inevitably taking the path of least resistance, you can see that both come together here to form the Zen Waterfall in the basement. (Evidently, it's easier to get under the house than around it. Weee!)

The slope is fairly steep, and the valley is right against the house. Do you see the little yellow dump truck in the distance (near the middle of the shot, but way in the back)? To the left of that is a HUGE stump that prevents water from flowing away from the house. So, we've got to do something about that. The white things sticking up are the stakes for the fence, and we kinda-sorta figured it might be best to deal with the drainage issues before we put the fence up rather than try to finagle it around the fence later.

You can see all kinds of things in the photo above: the family pirate, James and Zorak doing a little survey work, Me-Wa playing with the heavy equipment, and in the foreground, my dead salad garden boxy-area-thing. Busy space.

This is a closer shot of Me-Wa grading the back yard to redirect the runoff. Until now, it has always flowed from the upper meadow, straight toward the house. Whatever didn't go into the basement, ran alongside the house until it found a way in, and then, finally, down toward the carport/fire thing, as a last ditch effort. Now, it will hopefully run *around* the house, and down the valley farther from the house, into the creek.

Now, here, you can see that they'd levelled quite a bit. They did more after I took this shot, but it rained last night, and I'm surrounded by an 80-foot-wide swath of mud and mire from every exit except the balcony door. (The mud pit goes all the way around both the front and back of the house.)

The guys found a concrete slab by the basement window, so we used that as the basis for the new grade. It all slopes away from the house, toward the middle of the mud swath, which will one day be green and lush and hopefully not boggy in the least (if we did our math correctly!)

And this is the best that could be done with the time allowed for the rental, and the equipment itself. As you can see, they did get the sidewalk torn up and moved down to the driveway. I haven't braved the mud swath to get to the barn yet, but they also put a good-sized dent in the garden by the barn.

This is basically our final grade. Again, they did a bit more after I retired the camera (the gutter drain is gone now and that corner's been built up and contoured, for example). From what I understand, we need a tractor and a Harley Rake, or a bobcat and a box blade to do the finish work at this point. (For the record: that last sentence is entirely Greek to me, and since I'm spooling up on carpools, schedules, and meals-to-go, that's Zorak's ball to run with this week. Once he fills me in on what we're doing and why, I'll be sure to let ya know.)

The kids had a BLAST this weekend, between playing with Me-Tae, playing in the dirt, helping Dad and Me-Wa... it was just good, good, good.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

14 comments:

Amber said...

That looks like it should help a lot! Dontcha just love how you have to make a huge mess in order to try and fix something sometimes? Our property is a mud pit right now too, except for the areas where the leftover rock and gravel ended up. Thankfully one of those areas leads up to the side door, which makes it a little easier to get in and out of the house. I'm hoping that someday the kids will be able to walk out the front door without losing their shoes in the mud. Either that or we're going to be using the side door for half the year...

J-Lynn said...

It looks great!

Becca said...

This is a no-joke, very big time project!! Box blade? Harley Rake? Yeah, those words are Greek to me to. Good luck with the mud--I bet the boys are in heaven!

Dy said...

LOL, Amber. I wouldn't even let the kids leave the house yesterday. I just *knew* we'd lose shoes and they wouldn't mention it until it got dark! Thankfully, foliage grows quickly around here, so we should have good ground cover in a relatively short time. (I hope.)

Thanks, J-Lynn. I know sometimes it has to look worse before it actually "looks" better. ;-)

Becca, this whole house has been one Seriously Big Project! We've been at it for two years, and are just now getting to the drainage issues. :-S EEK. But it's coming... it's honestly coming. (And for the boys and the mud - oh, how I sing the praises of laminate wood flooring! LOL!)

Dy

H said...

Dy- I canNOT beLIEVE you just quoted from Zorro on my blog!

I always suspected we were kindred spirits. (Well, kindred spirits in a "you're way cooler spirit than I'll ever be" kind of way.) And now I know we MUST be!

I'm so happy the drainage issues are being addressed. That will alleviate much of the mold worries on this end. (Whew!) Did you notice any difference during the last rainstorm?

Rebel said...

So you're saying that you did NOT want a Zen waterfall in the basement. Here I was thinking that a basement waterfall sounded so cool...

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Hey, we have a Zen water feature in our basement, too! Only ours is a calm reflective pool instead of a waterfall. Probably would have been more calming if I hadn't discovered it when I stepped on squishy wet carpet. And there may have been more time for reflecting if Ernie hadn't had to rush out for a shop vac while I rushed boxes out of the room. Maybe we're just not good at the Zen thing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can definitely tell the difference between the Before and After shots. Way to go guys! It will be so nice once that pesky drainage problem is gone for good.

Thanks for the well wishes, Dy. Starting to feel better and pull out of this nasty flu-bug. The kids are helping, bless their hearts, and the daddy has even ordered carry-out so nobody starved.

Can I just say how amazed I am at all you get done, dear, in your pregnant state. You are an amazing woman.

mere said...

Wow! I'm sure that's going to really help with your drainage issues. Let's hope there's enough rain to see it in action this year.

mere

Laney said...

LOL! Every family needs their own pirate!

I can't wait to see the finished product.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'm so excited for you guys. But I know you will always have projects. Will there ever be perfection? ;-)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

That definitely looks like a lot of work. It must be nice to have made such a good "dent" in the project, though! I hope your waterfall never returns and that your math is entirely correct. :)

Jules said...

Looks like a day in heaven for a family full of boys!

Lots of good work going on...

Jenni said...

Lookin' good! I know what a Bobcat is, but not the rest. The weather's nice here finally, so we've been out doing some of the same. Yipee!