Saturday, February 23

The Derby!

Today was The Big Day.
The kids had a fantastic time. The races were a riot. All the cars were such fun to see, and the boys' encouragement of one another was so heartening to the adults in the room.
The Littles had no trouble keeping busy.
They even enjoyed a little early luncheon out together...

And at the end of the day, we can say, it was a Good Day.

(James placed first in his den, John placed second or third in his. - It was hard to tell over the leaping and high-fiving and other sibling noises. - There was an overall Pack heat, and James took second in that one, as well. They were both so proud of their cars, and of each other. It was a great event! They cannot wait until the District Race next month, and I think I overheard them talking about "next year" already, as well!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

12 comments:

Melora said...

Love the pictures! John is just so intent, and I love James's happy smile. It sounds like a wonderful day. Smidge and Em are just too cute!

Jules said...

Way to go, boys! It looks like such a fun day. And the boys look so proud and happy. You gotta love it! ;)

mere said...

That is great! Well done boys! (And mom and dad who were there to help when needed!)

Great pictures!

mere

Mom2legomaniacs said...

You tell them I am proud of them! What a great accomplishment! They look so happy -- cute kids you've got there!

melissa

Anniesue said...

That is completely heartwarming! I'm so glad they had a great time! They look so handsome in their uniforms!

Heidicrafts said...

Derbies are great fun. Esp. when you aren't the one in charge.

I always enjoyed making my own car. Last year, I made one that looked like my childhood van, and Gonzo made a Pikachu car. Photos are here at Flickr.

One of my favorite over years of Scouting was one of the easiest. The block of wood was never cut. It was painted to look like a school locker, then a cut-out of Napoleon Dynamite was glued on as if he were leaning against the locker. It was a pretty fast car, too.

I've seen cars shaped liked hot dogs, carrots, Legos, a Butterfinger candy bar, a "car phone", and "car pool," a pirate ship, a tank, on and on.

Emily said...

WTG, Boys!!! Well done!!

They look so happy and proud. Too cute!!

J-Lynn said...

Congrats boys!!!

I have to say I did a double take when I saw Emily. She's REALLY NOT a baby anymore! Wow - she's adorable.

Jenni said...

Aw, sweet! Great pictures, too.

Unknown said...

It sounds like it was a great day. That kind of thing would be right up my race lovin' boy's alley.

Becca said...

Oh, they look so proud and happy!! Too absolutely cute.

Unknown said...

Oh Dy, aren't they cute? They wear the same uniforms as my boys. Boy, I wish that we lived closer as I know that our boys would hit it off and so would we! ;-)

I just love every time my boys put on their uniforms. So, do you hand stitch every patch like I do or how do you do it?