Monday, February 4

Hopefully EmBaby Will By My Ally...

I *love* living in a house filled to the bursting point with male creatures. Really, I do. It's lively and funny (sometimes a little *too* funny). It's always active, creative, adventurous. It's also... um, brutally honest.

I made it to my hair appointment yesterday. HairGuy did all the work. I sat in my little chair, visited a bit, and read my latest brain candy. I don't know how to do what he does, so I don't try to follow along. Really, if your HairGuy is going to do something *wrong*, by the time you realize it, it's too late to stop it. Plus, there's always that doubt that perhaps it looks just fine and what you need is three days to live with it and adjust to the new look. (Am I right? I'm right.)

A house full of guys does. not. get. this.

I walked in and scooped up Smidge, gave him a big hug and told him how much I missed him. He pushed back a bit, furrowed his brow, and said,

"What did you do's to you's hair?"

I dropped him on the couch and wandered into the kitchen.

...Where Zorak started eyeballing my hair. I don't mean he admired it, or just looked at it. He eyeballed it like he suspected it of outlaw activity in an old Western mining camp.

"Did you pick that tone, or did he?"

(He did. I just sat there.)

He kept staring while he worked. A few minutes later, he could no longer resist and started picking at the front of it. My personal space was being invaded, and my vulnerability levels were already riding high (because it really is Very Very Light - much lighter than my borderline headcovering-like tendencies would have preferred - but I thought we'd already established that I didn't pick the tone.)

"Huh," he snorted. "You have a huge chunk at the front that he didn't get."

(Perfect. I didn't notice that when I'd left. Yet, notice I had not asked what he thought. I wasn't ready for that yet. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'd have found the chunk, eventually, but right there in the kitchen, with Zorak rubbing teriyaki-covered fingers through my bangs was not the most comfortable way of having my hair critiqued.)

I wandered away to the school room to hide for a bit. James entered. He stopped dead in his tracks and did this wide-eyed, slapstick comedy, full halt that can only mean something painfully blunt is coming from a 9yo boy.

"What? Is? That? Are you going grey, or did you do this on purpose, Mom? You don't even look like the same Mom!"

(Yeah. Like you have any hope of ever dating with this approach, kiddo.)

"You know, how about next time, you just don't do that, okay? It doesn't look natural."

(It's highlights. It's highlights they had to blend into year-old highlights from another salon. I know it's not "natural". Nobody thinks this is my natural color.)

"Well, if you're going to do this..." (He starts messing with the hair on the sides.) "Why don't you try purple next time?" (There is something very wrong with the fact that I know he's trying to be helpful. I do get that.)

(I love you. And I'm going to go rearrange the food shelf in the basement, now. I'll be back when all of you are asleep.)

John? John may just have the mojo it takes to live with women. He never said a word. He smiled and acted like absolutely nothing was wrong. All. Evening. Good boy.

My hope lies with EmBaby, now. Will it come naturally, or is there some kind of indoctrination process I'll need to begin? And when should I start it?

I'll call the HairGuy today. He can fix the missing chunk, I'm sure, but the guys are simply going to have to adjust to the "tone" of my new hair for a while. (Which makes me laugh, because then I picture someone yelling at my hair, "You watch your tone, missy!" For the record, they don't get that, either. *snort*)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh come now! You cant post something like this without a photo! I bet your look fabulous!

Dy said...

LOL! Um, no. No, it really does look bad. HairGuy brought the color all the way to the front on the forehead and left a 3/4" gap at the roots. So it looks like I'm about due for a touch-up, instead of that I've just had one done. Plus, even though I TOLD him I wear my hair in a bun, braid, or pony tail 98% of the time, the way he did the color only encompasses the very top. When my hair is pulled back in a pony tail... I've a bright blonde mohawk of color atop two dark brown sides. Lovely, a polecat 'do. Just what I was shooting for, no? LOL.

That's why I had to give the guys credit for being honest. They just didn't need to be quite so brutal about it, kwim? LOL. Hopefully, I can get it fixed today or tomorrow. Then, *maybe*, pictures. ;-)

Anonymous said...

and that is why i color my hair at home. i have to do the whole thing! no stripping, no highlighting, just one color! Lol ( though the boxes are pretty darn good at giving multiple colors- and since White hair doesnt take color as well as *regular* hair- (well i have some natural highlighting that way ! Lol though soon the I'll have to call them low lights since i'll have more white hair than *regular* hair)

btw- i STILL cant get the dang box to go over all the way- so i miss about 7 characters on the right. sigh)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Sounds to me like you ought to go back and very sweetly request him to fix it - and not just the chunk in the front. Seriously, if you told him about the ponytails in advance, he shouldn't have done it like that.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I think you should go back to the HairGuy and oh-so-sweetly request that he fix it. And not just the chunk at the front, either. Seriously, if you told him in advance that you wear your hair up, he should not have done it that way.

mere said...

Tact is a hard thing to learn. Some people never learn it, poor things! I hate to disappoint, but I wouldn't expect Emily to be more tactful...unless you are able to cloister her with John who seems to get the idea of not saying anything if he can't say anything nice! At least there's the chance that someday she may be able to commiserate with you on the hair issues...unless it happens to be you that perpetrates the crime (I'm remembering the one and only perm I ever got, that my mother gave me. I was a lopsided cocker spaniel for six months!)
I think James was being very "NINE", kwim? I'm sure it didn't occur to him that he was being rude.
Can't wait to see the beautiful results...make sure that he knows that you are going to post pics publicly and that you will use his name, so he'd better make you GORGEOUS!

mere

Rebel said...

If we ask r-e-a-l-l-y nicely, will you post a before (with the missing chunk) and after pic?

Jennie C. said...

You'll have to train embaby, too, but she'll at least catch on. :-)

Bob and Claire said...

I am at my most vulnerable after I do anything with my hair, so I'm sure I would have been in tears (which frankly has happened I know, although I can't go back and put a finger on a specific time. I've blocked the complete memory obviously, LOL). At least Zorak didn't compare you to Weird Al Yankovitch, a la Bob over here, LOL. I'm still not over that one . . . You have a beautiful face, however, so I can't imagine anything with your hair that would mess that up! : )

Emily said...

Don't you just love brutally honest boys?? I am afraid I can relate. It is because of this almost exact scenario that I will go a good 6 months between hair appointments (and it shows). It is all just too, too painful.

The Dude has learned to only say positive things, but somehow it never seems sincere when he says them in such a way that it sounds like he is trying to convince himself that it looks good. "REALLY, it does look good! Really!"

Jenni said...

It *always* takes me three days to get used to a new haircut or style. I haven't had any highlights in a loooong time, but I'm pretty sure that took three days to get used to as well. I was going to say maybe it just takes the same three days for the guys, but from your comment here, it sounds like there's more going on. Poor guys. Someone should write a book on what to say to women and when. Feeble attempts of "Well, that's *different*" don't count.

melissa said...

O.K. FIRST of all.......I am HIGHLY dissapointed that you did not call me after this disasterous incident. I do consider this "my area", you know?(And for the record, I DO realize that I may be the only one who thinks that!) As for the guys?? Sheesh....bag a buck and suddenly you know all about the intricacies of ladies hair color.LOL!!! Well, definitely don't take it lying down, if you hate it. Have somebody fix it. Be bold. Be assertive. Take pictures in with you.There's just nothing worse than walking around with hair that you don't like. Poor thing. That is just such a sock in the gut.

Ernest said...

Shave da head!

(I know, I know ... I'm the last one to give hair advice.)