Monday, February 25

Random Baseball Post

We've heard from two out of three of the coaches. So far, I'm tickled with one, a little nervous (or "cautiously optimistic", if you will) about the other.

John's coach is fantastic. I'm so excited! He coached John's team in the Summer League last year, and he is all about the boys and helping the boys learn new skills, learn to work together, learn to really enjoy the game. His whole family is so sweet, and so into just enjoying the kids. I couldn't have dreamed up a better coach for John. Plus, since we do know his wife and son, for those times when we have three kids at three different fields at the same time, we'd feel comfortable asking them to keep an eye on him for us. And they'd be glad to do it.

James' coach sounds enthusiastic and nice. They have only 11 kids on the team, and he has three others helping him coach, so there is a lot of potential for this to be a fantastic learning experience. He's also one of the football coaches, and after our football experience, I'm really hoping he's not all about getting into the Majors and making this Your Entire Existence At The Cost Of All Else. Because if he is, well, it's going to be a rough season for all of us - including him. I'm not going to be as quiet about abuses of power or neglectful coaching in baseball as I was in football. This isn't foreign turf to me this year, and I've been fortunate to see how it can be run, and run well. We'll see. I'm not going to pigeon hole him right off the bat, and he does sound very encouraging. I also really like his philosophy about the boys' attitudes and respectfulness - it's always nice to have similar standards with outside groups that you have at home. I'm just not all gushy and tickled like I am with John's coach. But it could be good. It could be very good.

Smidge's coach, we haven't heard from yet. He has, however, the ultimate faith that his coach will call soon and that he ("OR she," as Smidge reminds us) will be absolutely wonderful. The only thing Smidge is concerned about is whether we're going to make it into town before practice starts, to pick up "all the things I need to have, Mom!" Evidently, he's got a list made up and ready to go. Been saving up for this ALL YEAR, don't ya know?

And me? I've got my list of "travel supplies" and my "meals in minutes" stash ready to go. Just need to get to work on that foyer... :-S

But for now, I've got to get some rest. I'll post pictures of the latest in the Forever Home work tomorrow. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Becca said...

I was wondering how the baseball thing turned out, so thanks for the update. Fabulous that the two olders get to play, and here's hoping Smidge's coach gets with it soon.

Isn't it funny how you can wonder about someone's life who you've technically never met?

Emily said...

I must, must, MUST see a pic pf Smidge in his baseball uniform!! That is just too cute!!

Good luck with another successful spring season :)

Jules said...

It's nice to be in a place where you have back-up parents you can trust! I went through that last spring with soccer - three kids on three different fields and a baby in tow. It sure helped to have other people looking out for my babies when I couldn't be in three places at once!

Here's to a terrific season - and hopefully Smidge's coach will call soon - the poor guy! ;)

andie said...

I'm so excited that Smidge gets to play this year! Leo can't; here you must be five by...I forget, but some date that he won't be five by. He's very sad, but lately he says he's going to practice boxing in the meantime. So, you know, he won't be bored or anything.(!?!?!!!)