Tuesday, February 12

Piano Lessons!

It's going to happen! It's a reality!

James and John start piano lessons on March 6th!! (I start on the 7th *sheepish grin* - I don't remember enough to be of any use, otherwise.)

The teacher came highly recommended (which, really, is my only hope). She loves homeschoolers, worked us in back-to-back for the boys, and sounds like she has wonderful expectations that jive with the way we do things, here. She's big on consistent practice in shorter sessions vs. prolonged sessions less often. She said she provides fun projects and songs for the kids to work on, but it's contingent on the kids getting their theory work done... I think I'll like her. Plus, she doesn't have my gruff, scary R. Lee Ermey demeanor. Always a plus when working with children.

Now, I guess I'd better order that keyboard, eh?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Laney said...

I asked the John if he wanted to take piano and he looked at me like I asked if he wanted me to hang him up by his thumbs.

Hope that the lessons go well. :-)

Jules said...

You're going to love piano lessons! Samantha started this year and I love to hear her play. It's fun to see how they progress, too.

Enjoy listening to your little Liberace's!

Dy said...

Jules, ummmm.... Liberace isn't quite what we were shooting for!! ;-) LOL. But I am looking forward to it. I love listening to kids play music.

Laney, the boys are dying to play music. Most of their Christmas list was musical instruments. The agreement was "2 years piano, minimum, THEN you can pick up other instruments". So, they're psyched.

Becca said...

Hooray for piano lessons! We're doing violin with my oldest--watching her rapt concentration at lessons is one of the joys of my week.

Urban Mom said...

I hope they love it! My 4yo is taking piano now and seems to like it. And I love seeing her progress. Plus, it's fun to tag along vicariously and learn some things!

Jenni said...

Yeah for you! I do wish we had somehow worked in music lessons of some kind for our kids. Caleb took guitar lessons for a while, but I refused to continue paying when he wouldn't practice. I had enough battles on my hand with Caleb at that time and I didn't need to add practicing an instrument! None of the other kids have been remotely interested. Oh well.

Did you know one of my personalities is R. Lee Ermey's twin? Fortunately that one doesn't show itself too often, but look out when it does:o)

Anonymous said...

if you took piano as a kid you might be surprised just how much you can pick up if you sit in on their lessons! it comes back! like riding a bike!

Ben is on his 3rd year of piano and Scott is in his first. our teacher does theory too- and scales and something else with Ben.

The Queen said...

Before you go buying a keyboard, consider posting a Wanted: piano on freecycle. I see pianos change hands regularly on freecycle (and you can check Craig's List, too).

It's hard to find an inexpensive keyboard with the right "piano touch" feeling. By the time you buy a keyboard that plays like a piano, you could have bought--and tuned--a nice used piano.

Just something to think about.