Tuesday, February 19

In for a quiet few days.

The children spent the morning down at the dirt pile. Or, what's left of it. They've amassed quite a pile of dirt clods atop it. "Dirt Bombs," they call them. They claim it's a defensive measure to help protect "the pile". Looks more like a cairn for lost giants, to be honest, but I didn't tell them that. We got back this afternoon and they all headed down there, lined up like little ducks. I love that Em can go down and wallow and climb and play with the big kids, everybody can have a wonderful time, and her brothers don't give her a hard time. They don't give me a hard time about having her around, either. I don't think it would dawn on them to exclude Smidge (who is convinced he IS Big now) or Em. Another thing to be thankful for!

When it's time to go into town, I just brush them all off with a whisk broom and send them in to wash their hands and faces. They're still slightly rust-colored, but I figure we live in the country and when we go into town, a little country dust isn't such a bad thing. Not that I'd wear it like the badge of honor the kids do, but that's okay. I'm glad they're happy with where we are and what we do.

We ate in town with Zorak and then he headed off for a few days' travel for work. Yuck. He doesn't have to go often, and we appreciate that. Still, he's so nice to have around, and he's missed when he's gone, so we all feel just a wee bit whiny when he does have to go. He hates it, too, and I have to admit that that makes me smile. Not that I'm a sadist. I'm just glad he's not clamoring to get out of Dodge whenever he has the opportunity.

Zorak didn't leave me with any specific tasks to finish while he's gone (other than the obligatory, "try not to lose one of them, and don't forget to feed the dog"), so I'm going to try to get some crochet work done after the evening head count. That'll fill my evenings quite nicely (and probably sharpen my tongue a bit, too). I have a hat nearly finished, and hope to move on to John's scarf. Poor kid has been waiting for *three years* for this yellow scarf. I can't knit to save my soul, so I figured perhaps I can get the thing done if I crochet it. He's feeling optimistic. If I can get those two projects done in a reasonable time, I'm going to take the plunge and try to make a hooded pullover! I found a really cute one in a book this weekend, and am dying to try it. I just feel that I ought to complete a few UFOs before I can justify starting yet another Big Project. (But truly, you just cannot have too many hooded sweatshirts, jackets, and pullovers. You just can't.)

It's getting dark. I'd best go turn on the porch light so the dirty children loitering in the meadow can find their way to shelter and food here in a bit.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Laura said...

Hey, Crochet is good! (And it's something I wish I knew how to do - someday I'll find someone to teach me, or try to figure it out with the aid of some of the crochet books I have.)

Would you like some more library discard books? I have some books of poetry for children and at least one of children's stories I could box up and ship to you... .

Jenni said...

I hope you're remembering to take pictures of those kids getting dirty! I have a few pictures of my kids making a mud slide in the backyard when they were little and some of them decorating themselves with mud from the pond when they weren't so little. (Last year!) I really treasure those photos even if I didn't treasure the pile of laundry quite so much.

I do not even know the difference between knitting and crocheting! So, good for you on that!

About the armadillos jumping--yes, I forgot to mention that in my post! The one I got the best shots of jumped several times. It startled us and made us laugh at the same time. God must have a sense of humor:o)

Bob and Claire said...

Oh, I know what you mean about the trips! I feel the same way, and so does Bob. He was supposed to be gone next week, but he just found out he doesn't have to go. Yay! now he won't miss Luke's birthday!

I hope you do end up accomplishing something in your evenings--whenever Bob is TDY, I am usually too tired to start anything after the kids go down, so I just piddle around on the computer! : )

Melora said...

Nothing like a good pile of dirt, eh? Especially when you have your trusty shop vac for all the stuff that comes inside with the kids!

Jules said...

I just found out tonight that Derick will be doing some traveling to train for his new job. Not much, but the thought of it made my stomach hurt. I am not going to like it, that's for sure! I even asked him if we could come along but he said the company would probably frown on five stowaways hitching a ride. Bummer! ;)

I got a good chuckle at the "try not to lose one of them" line. That's perfect!

Unknown said...

Dy, you crack me up! ROFLOL. I love the quote: "...and probably sharpen my tongue a bit too!" Hee hee