Thursday, November 1

What Characters

The kids had such a nice time last night. Claudia and her herd came with us. The kids haven't seen each other most of the summer, between her travel schedule and ours, and you'd have thought they'd found long-lost relatives. It was very sweet.


We started out at the library, which was... weird. Just. Weird. I'll fill y'all in on that, later, because I don't want to sully the cute kid pictures with the weirdness. Thankfully, we were able to get out unscathed, and head to the sweet neighborhood over by the ball park.

I had one panic attack when, in the dark, I could only find seven children. Then everyone panicked over the missing child. Eventually, well, we remembered Claudia's a slacker and only has three. So there were only supposed to be seven children. We stopped trying to find someone else's child and continued on.

Zorak brought the wagon for the small ones, EmBaby and Luci (the "baby grill", as her brothers call her). That worked out beautifully. The babies only hit one side of the street, too, while the boys all zig-zagged back and forth. Worked like a charm: Smidge was out cold before we got home, and the older two happily ate, brushed, jammied, and climbed into bed to read Treasure Island with me. Unfortunately, as I had zig-zag duty with the boys, I didn't make it through the chapter, and John had to do the reading for us. (That was kind of nice, though, having someone read to me before bed.) And he was glad to be reading it. James said he was "too tired even to listen" and passed out two sentences into it.



Posted by Picasa
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

15 comments:

Melora said...

They look so adorable! James makes a dashing Superman, John looks So Harry-like, I Love Smidge's dreadlocks (I've Never seen a cuter pirate!), and Em is just precious. The zig-zagging idea is great.

Dy said...

:-) Thanks. James really loves that costume. :-S I don't know if you can see it, but he tried to "bulk up" with sweaters - they kept slipping down to his beltline - we got quite a few giggles out of that. And he was such a good-natured sport about it.
Dy

Claudia said...

That is just how I described the library to my friend last night, "it was a little...weird." But it was fun. Our broods were the only ones sitting down and visiting and catching up instead of vandalizing the library. Sam and Dave want to know if we can do that again next year. And if she were speaking more, I am sure Luci would be all for it as well. :-)

Jenni said...

Too, too cute, Dy! The dreadlocks are a great touch to that pirate costume. Gosh, who needs candy? I just want to gobble them up:o)

I found some more Halloween pics of my kids when they were little. I think I'll spend some of my day off scanning them into the computer.

Becca said...

They look so adorably precious!! The Em Baby tiger--hold me back from squeezing her!

You had me laughing out loud at the idea of you searching frantically for the 'missing' child. Love it!!

Needleroozer said...

They look so sweet and happy! That's a great photo. John looks so like Charles, and Smidge looks so grownup! Love James' lumpy muscles, and the sweet wiskers on the little tiger. The boys look so tall!
LB

mere said...

So cute!

I can't wait to hear about the library. Sounds interesting...

mere

Spinneretta said...

How cute. OK handsome ;) You have a cute tiger, a dashing pirate, a convincing Harry and a very grown up and nice-natured looking Superman :)
You should take a look at my spies LOL ;)

Anonymous said...

Had to chuckle at the missing child (although I know how scary it would have felt!) Last year my friend and I took our children together; her 3, my 5. We counted heads and had extras!! Some of the kids friends who were out on their own had joined us! By the time we finished the night we had 6 extra to return to missing parents!!

The kids look adorable in their costumes!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I've never seen a cuter bunch of trick-or-treaters. Love their adorable costumes.
I have to tell you, I've been so enjoying your posts everyday. I do apologize for not commenting very often though.
Your family is just so entirely wonderful - sometimes I want to move in right next door. Except... I'm not sure I could get past that pesky humidity thing. :-)
I know-I'm such a wimpy California girl, huh? Ack! Did I just say that? Me-a California girl? Where did that come from? Lord help me! How am I ever gonna make it in Oregon when we move there.
...sorry, rambling on your blog comments now...
...so sorry... Dawn needs another cup of coffee...

love and hugs
dawn

andie said...

What great pictures! My camera is dying (waaah!) so I was lucky to get one, late into the night, at Grandma's house. I LOOOVE the costumes!

Staci Eastin said...

Love the costumes. LOL about the missing children. My best friend has four, and I joke that I had to stop at three because I couldn't count any higher.

Anonymous said...

oh my....I love the tiger....so cuutee..

over here in singapore, we hardly celebrate halloween...sigh...so boring...

even the costumes available at the stores are too 'conservative', like fairies...skeleton...ghost...ahhhhh

The Crib Chick said...

LOL about looking for a non-existent missing child...I have this one friend that always freaks me out because she'll count up my kids and say, "Is someone missing?"

I panic until she remembers that I 'only' have five. For some reason, she always wants to believe I have six.

And we've only known each other, oh, fourteen years or so.

Sigh.

(And I do get a little panicky feeling when she says it. "Don't DO that to me!")

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Oh, they look so cute. :) Are you tired of reading the word "adorable?" Because I can't help it, it's the first word that popped into my head when I saw that first pic.