Tuesday, November 20

Domesticity

Do you know why I don't oil my cabinets regularly?

I do. Now.

I spent a multitude of hours today, cleaning and oiling each and every cabinet door, drawer face, and all the frames. HOURS.

In the end, I do have clean, glowing cabinets. And they are completely overshadowed by the butt-print track on the floor around the perimeter of my kitchen.

That's NOT what I was shooting for with this whole thing.

Thankfully, Orange-Glo wood oil smells fairly nice, because I may never get this stuff out of my hair.

But you should see those cabinets!

I may not get much else done tomorrow, but I'm guessing if I do the floor, it'll be a drastic improvement.

God bless the children. They stayed outside most of the day, playing, reading, biking. They let me clean in peace. I appreciate that more than I can say, but it was nice to repay the effort with extra reading tonight at bedtime.

Yup, it's good to be a family.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Jenni said...

Ugh. I think I'm going to pay Jo to do that. The girl is 15, can't get a job, and has endless things to spend money on. I'm thinking cabinets would be a good way to make some of that cash that she seems to think is her lifeblood.

Did you get above the cabinets? You know where all the dust and grease settle and become one nasty, hairy mess? That's my favorite part.

Dy said...

Ahhh, no. Thankfully, we have no upper cabinets to collect gunk. The kitchen is very open, with only two actual walls. One is short and has a window in the middle of it, and the other, the only wall that could have held upper cabinets, will have a large bay window in it before '08 is out. So, really, the only reason it took me *whine, whine* HOURS is that the last time I did it was, uh, Christmas.

Mmmm, paid labor. Paid live-in labor! We do joke with the children that we had them to lighten the workload for us. I try not to make that joke while they're actually working, though, because somehow, they don't think it's funny, then. :-)

Dy

Ernest said...

The tops of the cabinets are a dark, scary place. I ignore them until the dust bunnies grow large enough to peer down at us over the edge, like some sinister creature waiting to pounce.

Keep them children working, Dy. I remind mine that "every mouth comes with a pair of hands". And since they are the ones that cause most of the mess around my villa, then it seems only fair that they do most of the cleaning.

Dy said...

Actually, they do pull their fair share around here. I have zero complaints on that end. Everything from helping with the laundry, to handling the unloading of the dishwasher, with scads in between. They also have outside detail they tend to. Truthfully, it's Zorak and I that made the bulk of the kitchen mess. *grin*

When EmBaby walks into the kitchen and sees one of us at the stove now, she shouts, "Hot grease! Hot grease!" and bolts down the hall, like a little chicken-fried Paul Revere.

dy