Monday, November 5

A Day...

Today is Monday. This may not be the best day to do "A Day in the Life". It is, after all, a Monday. But that's okay. 1/7th of my life is Mondays. They happen to the best of us. Anyhow, here's now the morning goes...

The alarm goes off. Zorak gets up and ready for work. I notice a draft and look around, wondering where my warmth went. It is still dark. I try to get up. It is very cold. He mumbles something at me. I mumble something back, and try to get up again. He tucks the covers over my shoulders and reminds me that I'm pregnant and it's okay not to get up with him in the mornings.

Yes, awww, that sounds very sweet. And he is very sweet. He's also not a morning person, and I suspect he doesn't want me following him around the house, getting more verbal with every sip of coffee. I smile and pull the covers back over my neck. I can appreciate that desire for quiet and solitude. I'll be begging for it around nine tonight.

I lay in bed, drifting in and out of sleep, appreciating the blankets and the insulation in the walls, until the light begins to filter into the basement, which alerts Houdini, down there, that he ought to be outside, planning his next escape. His baying drags me from my bed. Not so much out of sympathy for him, but out of fear that he'll wake the kids.

Start the coffee. It's a BUNN. I'm spoiled. It'll be ready by the time I find my shoes and pee. I'm still irritated that it can't sense my presence and start on its own. Our next BUNN will, at the very least, have the pour-n-serve option. In the meantime, we've both nearly mastered the tilt-n-switch method of getting coffee from the still-brewing pot. That corner of the kitchen gets cleaned quite often. I notice it still looks like we have a blind kitchen servant. Huh. Weird.

I grab my morning studies: Latin (Henle); math (yep, pre-calc, still, just like college); Bible; whatever I'm reading at the time (right now, I'm on week eighty-thousand of trying to slog through Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness). Head to the porch. The cold wind hits my face and I spill hot coffee on my feet. (There are burn holes on the tops of my feet that match the circles in my crocs - you'd think I'd learn by now -- stay inside, or put on different shoes.) Nevermind, I'll go hide in the school room.

I get about half my studies done before I take my computer break. If I'd risen with Zorak, I could have done it all. As it stands, I'm not giving up my email and brain candy and Very Important Board Time, just because I stayed in bed. We all have ways of rejuvenating and filling our tanks. Some people take long weekends in Vegas, some people sell products so they can go to training seminars, some have "Moms night out". I read email, peruse the news, and check on my homies and their blogs. This may also be why I'm still in pre-calc after two years. I know.

The boys start getting up. John first, always. He comes out dressed, hungry, and unaccountably perky. Have an apple and a glass of milk while we wait for your brothers. He sits at the breakfast bar with his Latin, munching away, waiting for me to emerge for more coffee. We hang out in the kitchen, doing Latin and chit-chatting about the day. I like this time with him. It's good stuff. We have about half an hour together before Smidge gets up.

Smidge comes out acting like he's been kept from us for months. In a dark, slimy dungeon. He's quiet. Almost tearful. Snuggly. Downright clingy. Please let his be a personality quirk and not a wheat allergy, I pray. He perks right up at the offer to grab a banana, and he asks if I've printed up his math page yet. No. I forgot about that. I slip off to print one out. Smidge and John find some way, while I'm doing that, to irritate each other and wake EmBaby.

Thankfully, she likes to stay in bed and talk to herself for about twenty minutes when she wakes up. She turns on her music, wraps her bunny in blankets, throws things out of her crib. If you go in and try to remove her before she has summoned you, it will get ugly. Just enjoy it. Relax. She's not going to be in therapy in 20 years because you left her in her crib in the mornings.

I get Smidge's paper printed and hand it over to him. I get John redirected on his worksheet. I get more coffee. I wander down the hall and do something loud, hoping it'll stir James. He's good about getting up if I ask him to get up, but I don't mind letting him sleep if we don't have anywhere to be. It's a good give-and-take situation. He stays up late, reading, which I can appreciate. He also seems to need more sleep lately. Heaven help me, those pants we just bought him won't fit much longer. Make a mental note to set money aside for pants sometime before Christmas.

John and Smidge pop in a short video. They used to watch PBS, but we can't get it on our rabbit ears anymore. This buys me time to get dressed (obviously, I'm not a FLYlady graduate) and make my bed. By the time I'm dressed, EmBaby's ready to get up and start her day.

I spend way too much time picking out something for her to wear before I remember I've got to find some kind of angle for her to want to wear it. It can be anything -- flowers, hearts, red piping -- but I've got to point it out before she can say "no" or it's all over and she'll end up in sweats and a tie-dyed t-shirt for the rest of the day. Fortunately, she has several tie-dyed t-shirts. One of the perks of being #4. Today I'm quick on the draw, and she's wearing the sweater with the "bearses" on it. We head into the kitchen and start breakfast.

John follows me back into the kitchen and finishes his Latin. Heh. I knew he wasn't done yet. (But I did need to get dressed.) Whoever is up gets to help with breakfast. This morning it's yogurt, toast with peanut butter and honey (pb&j for Em), fresh fruit, and milk. Most mornings it's eggs and sausage, toast with Granny jelly (cactus apple jelly the boys' Granny makes and stocks us up with every year), fruit, and milk. Or oats. Oats are always good if I get on it before they get up.

By the time breakfast is ready, John's done with his Latin and is working on his reading. Smidge has done his math and a few maze pages. He's running laps through the kitchen. James is up and making hot tea to go with his breakfast. We all eat, I read their Bible study, we do a little for-fun reading, and go over the day's plans. This part strikes me as funny, because I feel like Pinky and the Brain, "it's the same thing we do every night, Pinky..." The older boys get it when I laugh to myself over that. The younger children think I'm just happy. That works.

After breakfast, things break down a bit into a semi-controlled chaos. James starts with his reading, then on to math, and finally Latin. He and John are in two different books, so that works out easier than trying to do blocks-by-subject. As long as they get those three subjects done before mid-morning, we're good. John finishes his reading and starts his math. Smidge forgets he already did math, and does another math project. Then he puts on James' Superman costume and makes laps through the kitchen again. This time, pushing a pirate ship. He and EmBaby race ships around the house. Some days, I think we should have stuck with a dead-end galley layout. Most days, though, I don't mind. I like the noise and the chaos. I don't know when I began to like it, but I do. The older boys don't seem to mind much, either. If the noise gets to them, they'll pick up their books and disperse to the bedrooms for a little quiet study time. Mostly, though, this is just "how it is", and they're good about ignoring it.

Lessons do take longer this year than they did last year. Not because I've increased the boys' workload significantly, but because the boys have discovered they're funny. Really funny. Honestly-able-to-crack-Mom-up, funny. And they make use of that. I don't do such a good job of keeping them from making jokes, but it is challenging to be the straight man to these guys.

Of course, it's not all high-quality Night At The Improv. John offers to gargle his math answers for me today. When I decline, he has a stream of other options: snort, belch, say them with a full mouth. Ah, yes. Yes, this is why Other Mothers keep it in check. Much to his disappointment, I decline even the gas-based answer method, and suggest, instead, that perhaps he could write his answers instead of giving them orally. He decides plain old English is just fine, thanks, and we finish in record time.

Smidge slams into the hall door frame. EmBaby, coming in a close second in the Brigand Regatta, ploughs right over the wreckage. While I disentangle small, angry survivors from the disaster, the older boys decide it's time for a break. They head outside to burn leaves, train lizards, and feed the dog. I get the littles sorted and send them back to the docks with their ships for refitting, then sit down for a bit of a coffee break and another chapter in my reading.

I'll post the second half of the day later.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

*Edited to add a link to Part 2.*

13 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

*Happy sigh* What a great day.

Anonymous said...

its the little things that happen daily that makes us proud to be our children's parent....

Enjoy time with them while you can...before they grow up...too soon...too fast and they are out with their friends... *sigh*

andie said...

I could just cry. Leo hasn't been up any later than 5something since the time change (okay, a whole three days) and it's killing me.

Alright, alright. So my unwillingness to get up at 4something is killing me. I *need* quiet time to myself before he hits..I mean, wakes up. And when I wake up to Him, Loud Version, it's just ugly.

But it's so cold and it's so early and I donwanna. Whine, whine, whine.

In other news, I'm so glad I'm not the only one with coffee-through-the-Crocs! I also have the Croc flip flops, and a lovely almost gone spot where I drained the pasta water onto my foot this summer.

Jenni said...

I loved hearing about your day! It's so funny when people ask how a "typical" homeschool day goes because I'm not sure there is one. Everyone does it differently, but I enjoy hearing about it.

You're studying Latin and Pre-calculus for *you*? *Pre-calculus*?!? Is there any special reason or is it just because you want to?

Your morning study plan sounds similar to mine. I am supposed to get up at 4:30 read my Bible (3 chapters a day working my way through the whole thing), read a chapter from the Bible study book I'm working on, do a Greek lesson, read a chapter from one of my stock market books, and maybe write a blog post if there is time left before 6:30 when I have to make sure everyone else is awake and the house gets noisy. So far it's mostly a plan and not reality. I've got to get on it. Actually getting out of bed when the alarm goes off would be a good start.

Dy said...

Jenni, I love hearing about other hs'ers days, too. There isn't a "typical" one, and that's one of the things I love. Of course, when we were trying to figure out this whole homeschooling thing, I so desperately wanted someone to say, "Come watch how we do it. This is the right way." Now, of course, I'm so thankful nobody did. It would be awful not to feel comfortable finding our own stride.

How cool that you're studying Greek. I want to add that... later... I keep pushing it back a bit. I'm doing the pre-calc b/c if I don't, I'm going to end up being the only one in the house who doesn't have a good math foundation. I've learned so much through MUS (as far as actually *understanding* math - how it is, and why it's wonderful) that it inspired me to get on it. Zorak will take over with the boys somewhere around Trig, just b/c he loves it and he's been waiting for that oh, so patiently. :-) But I'd like to be able to answer at least the basic questions, no matter how high up they go in math. In another ten years, I should be the Pre-Calc Master! LOL!

Yeah, getting up helps. Zorak told me just last night that he left the house at 4:30 -- no wonder it was so hard to get up! Ugh.

Oh, Andie, I could cry for you. I *need* that time, too. It makes a complete difference in how the day goes if I can get steady on my feet before they're running about beneath them.

angeline, yes, thank you so much for that reminder. *wistful sigh* It'll come so quickly.

Staci, :-) I wrote this for you, ya know.

Dy

Anonymous said...

"Fortunately, she has several tie-dyed t-shirts. One of the perks of being #4"

Oh how this resembles my John's dresser drawer ( and his attitude!)

SHannon

Anonymous said...

All right. I feel like such a slacker. I keep telling myself that if I would get up earlier the day would go better, but it is just to hard when it's cold and the baby (ok, so he's a big 18 month old baby and he does need to wean but it's so easy not to) is snuggled up nursing. Then I look around and somehow it's 10:30 and we haven't done anything yet. Being lazy and a procrastinator just isn't working well today!

Spinneretta said...

If your husband is a night owl, early mornings do not work :( Anyhow, I loved looking at your day... and it is great to know that the kids can start to work THROUGH the noise at some point ;)
3 yo have an amazing capicity for noise...

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Gah. I can barely speak English first thing in the morning, much less Latin. :} When I'm studying something, I usually wait until the boys are in bed at night, THEN get out my books. Eli has been uncooperative in my efforts lately, though.

Nikki is always our first to get up, followed by Joshua. And they have thankfully learned to go play (somewhat) quietly in the playroom until the rest of us get up. Even better, if Eli wakes up, they take him in there with them. :D

Laura said...

I love reading the description of your morning! And the ref to Pinky and The Brain cracked me up!

Looking forward to the next installment... .

mere said...

S.J. is into shoes. She usually picks out something pink, but has to have shoes with it. Even if it's pajamas, she is not dressed without shoes. Hilarious!

We have a tie dye t-shirt that she loves, but it is actually Benjamin's. If she sees him wearing it she actually pouts, and then tries to tear it off of him.

I think it will be her shirt soon.

mere

momanna98 said...

I enjoyed that! You guys must get up at 4 AM. Or you all move at superman speeds. I can't wait to here the rest of your day. Do your kids have chores?

Gem said...

OK, what kind of math is Smidge doing? Your kids seem to be math geniuses -- mine are just the same age and never seem to be quite up to the same level as yours. Not jealous (no, not me!), just curious.