Monday, November 19

We Made It, But It Hurt

Hey, that's a re-tread title! (And I can't remember what it was about the first time...) We made it to church. On time, even.

Why, though, WHY, does it take children an HOUR to eat a cup of oatmeal and a slice of peanut butter toast? Why? Without that, it would have been a lovely, relaxing morning. Well, that and the whole, "This is not what you laid out to wear last night. Where are your clothes? Why are you wearing that?" routine. *sigh*

We had to leave about 3/4 of the way through the sermon because EmBaby was *done*, but that's okay. Not bad, considering the early morning. We wanted to stop by Me-Wa and Me-Tae's, but Smidge and Em both fell asleep the minute we started the engine. So we came home and stared at the walls for a while.

John needs a new bike, and we're not sure if that's a good Christmas present. Right now, he's not quite Circus Clown status, but he's getting there. He does actually need a new bike. However, isn't it a bit cruel to give a child a Christmas present like that when January brings the cold-cold weather and ice storms? Seems a little mean, to me, to say, "Hey! Here's a present you won't be able to use until Spring!" I don't know.

On the holiday front, I'm starting to get excited about the food. It's all about the food. Zorak and I are looking forward to trying a few new things this year. We do love the food. And we love to feed people. For us, the holidays are just a win-win, all the way around.

Oh! And the Nutcracker is coming! I get to take the boys!! (Or, as Zorak would put it, I'm going to take the older ones and he gets to stay home with the two littles. Another win-win. Heh.) We're going to an evening performance, and then out for ice cream. I cannot tell you how very much I'm looking forward to this outing with the two eldest. Good stuff.

OK, and for some unexplicable reason, two of them are up right now. So I should get off the computer and go be productive. Hope you're having a lovely Monday!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

with all fall birthdays we gave up on the seasonally appropriate birthday/christmas gifts. we give pool toys, water guns and such at chirtsmas as well as the summer. so far the boys havent cared. in fact i love christmas as a great OUTDOOR SPORTS gift giving frenzy - and by the time the get to play with them they have gotten bored with the toher stuff so it's new and fun!

Shannon

Jennie C. said...

My kids seldom eat well if they've only just woken up. It takes them about an hour to work up a good appetite. We just don't worry about it on Sunday mornings. I feed them something pick-at-able, and they can pick at the leftovers when we get home later. :-) Congratulations on making it, though! I was wondering.

crystal said...

Our boys are so hard on bikes! A new bike is always the Easter gift around here. They are much too old for easter baskets anyway! (or they think they are anyway!)

Dy said...

Crystal, Ohh, bikes for Easter! That's a good idea. So far, we've been able to retread some bikes, but that probably won't last. And we figure it's always nice to get at least *one* that wasn't passed down. Thanks for the tip. :-)

Jennie, since it's a one-hour drive to church, I feel like they need *something* sustaining before we leave. Outside of begging for a stack of Lobster bibs from a restaurant, I need to come up with ideas of something they can eat on the drive. We leave at 8:30 and don't get home until 1:30 or 2:00, at the earliest, on Sundays. Even with the short fellowship break between SS and Service, that just seems like too long for littles to go w/o food. kwim?

Shannon, I love your idea of the great sports frenzy! :-D Man, I wish we lived closer.

Thanks, guys.

Unknown said...

LOL we're doing bikes at Christmas Dy, I thought it was weird until I realized my kids will ride in freezing weather happily - barefoot (if I'd let 'em). ;-)

I thikn I just commented on someone elses blog that I thought was yours. LOL oops