Tuesday, November 27

Not the Crocs!

Noooooooooooooooo!

I have some ugly shoes. I love my ugly shoes. They're so ugly, they're cute. Sort of like E.T. But, well, uglier. Still, I wear them, and love them. With a few exceptions, where they'd have been wholly and inexcusably inappropriate, they're all I've worn since I bought them. And now, I think they're trying to kill me.

For the last week or so, it's become increasingly painful to walk. Move. Sit. Stand. Lean. Breathe. I'm average-for-gestation in size, but because of the pain in my hip and tailbone, I walk like I'm eleven months along. With triplets. Probably elephants.

Both of my arms have taken to going pins-and-needles numb at random times, from the shoulders to the finger tips. Five or six times a day, this happens. Once I realized I was most likely not suffering from roaming gangs of blood clots, I figured I just needed to find a chiropractor and have a little adjustment.

Not that I've done that, mind you. It's all about identifying the problem. Solving it goes onto another list, entirely.

The boys tried to help yesterday. Their efforts made me smile, but they just don't have the body mass to fight this kind of inertia. Smidge almost fixed it, inadvertently, when he pounced on my back. I thought I would die. If he'd been just two inches farther down, and a little to the right, I think he'd have done it. But I couldn't stay relaxed enough for it to work when he did it again (he caught me off guard the first time - let's face it, if you know you've got a 50# cannonball careening toward your back, you won't be relaxed, either). That hurt. I took a Motrin and called it good. I also begged one of the boys to become a chiropractor, even if just for a hobby. I'll pay for it, and you can pay me back with adjustments. How can you beat a student loan deal like that, eh?

So last night, unable to so much as sit without contorting in pain, I put on my sexiest voice ("sexy", being relative, in this situation. Obviously.) and asked Zorak if he wanted to play Gumby and Pokey.
I'll be Gumby. You just start pulling on things until something pops into place.
He wrestled me into all sorts of hideous positions. Lots of popping. Just a little screaming. It helped. And I'm 5'8", now.

This morning, I awoke almost pain-free. yay! Until I put on my Crocs to go make coffee. I only made it out of the bedroom before the grinding sounds and the clicking pain kicked in. Crap. It's these shoes! I'll bet it's these shoes!

Well, my only defense for wearing them was that they're comfortable, and I think it's safe to say they've betrayed me on that level. So, it's probably time to ship them off to Valhalla of the Shoes, buy me some good orthopedics with arch support, and maybe find a good chiropractor. Yep. But man, I'll miss those shoes!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

Laura said...

Birkenstocks. Not the knock-offs. The real thing. I started wearing them in the 8th month of pregnancy of my daughter (who will be 10 on Friday) and what an amazing difference!

And if you have pain in the hip and spine, I'm betting Baby is lying slighting transverse and is pressing on the sciatic nerve. My son David did that and so did a couple of my other babies, but he was the worst! I guess he found that position comfy. If you can get a midwife to palpate your little one, she can probably tell you how Baby is positioned. In the meantime, pray the little one moves his head to another spot!

Gem said...

Oh, these last two babies have been bouncing on the sciatic nerve kids and Whoa does nothing hurt like that!!! I am actually having trouble right now deciding what is early contractions and what is baby bouncing on nerves pain! I had to give up the Crocs this pg too, I just wear my tennis shoes with the orthodics, never made it to the chiro this time tho.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Um, you wear shoes? At home? ??

:)

Hope you find good shoes and quit hurting. Careful getting Birkenstocks though if you have a really skinny foot. Even their narrow width shoes won't fit my foot, and I normally don't have to wear narrow width shoes.

Jenni said...

Hmmm...that's not what Danny would think of if I asked him if he wanted to play Gumby and Pokey, LOL.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Dy said...

Oh, Laura - I didn't think about WeeOne being transverse! That means... there's hope! LOL! Thanks. I'll look into the Birks, too. I was always a Teva girl, myself, but this is a whole different season. *grin*

Gem, honey, i have GOT to email you and get all caught up. I miss ya, honey!

KathyJo, um, yeah. It's easier than mopping regularly. Plus, the floor is kind of cold and my socks aren't thick enough to do the trick on their own - even the high-end polypro hiking socks. I've got some pretty wide gunboats, so the Birks should work okay for me. Come to think of it, you'd think I'd have much better balance than I do... huh.

Jenni. *grin* That wasn't what Zorak thought, either. But I had to get his attention, somehow. I probably owe him, big time, for that, too.

Dy

mere said...

I'm voting for the Birks too. My Birky Mary Jane clogs took me all the way through my last pregnancy and they were worth every blessed penny (still are!)

mere

Claudia said...

I wondered how hard you would kick me next time I saw you if I suggested Birks. :-) They are worth every last penny.

Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon! Im so big already at 18weeks my husband thinks there is more than ne in there.lol Ive been in pain for 2 days I either have a toothinfection or a sinus infection. I have a few symptoms of each lol. YOu can take motrin while pg????? My doc said tylenol only whichisnt helping! Tell me its true dy I can have motrin!

angela ( from the old goal setting board:)

Dy said...

Hi angela! Unfortunately, it sounds like Motrin is a no-no. I got a call from Wonderful MD Neighbor not five minutes after this posted yesterday morning, saying, "You can TAKE that when you're pregnant!" I responded with, "Well, I'm out of naproxyn..." and I think I shaved a year off her life. *sigh* That's what I get for not paying attention. Have you tried GSE for your sinus area? That might do the trick, but please get in and get it taken care of. I had an impacted tooth once, and was convinced I had some kind of brain tumor. It hurt so bad. {{hugs}}
Dy

Melora said...

Sorry you are in pain! You saved me the cost of a pair of Crocs, though! I've been sort of wanting some (to add to my collection of ugly, comfortable shoes), but my back hurts enough already.
I wouldn't have said my Birks were any more comfortable than my Tevas (they are my two favorite pairs of shoes), but maybe there is a difference when it comes to balancing pregnant bodies.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Dy, get yourself to a chiropractor! Find one who is certified in the Webster technique and uses torque release instead of the more traditional manipulation. You won't believe how much better it will make you feel. I had the same problem (or at least really similar - those symptoms sound REALLY familiar!) when I was pregnant with Thomas, partly because of the way he was lying. Weekly-ish visits from my seventh month kept me almost pain free AND kept the baby from turning all the way posterior (and oh, did he want to turn posterior!)

I hope you can find a wonderful doctor and feel better soon! Sending hugs your way!