Sunday, November 11

Long Time, No Blog

Sometimes, it's just not funny. Sometimes I can't find the words to be encouraging.

I look at the beetles coming in under the door, again, and think, "That's it. I'm setting this place on fire and moving into the barn." Not that that would reduce the beetle intrusion, but at least one would expect beetles in the barn.

I listen to someone pass along to me that somebody hurt someone else's feelings -- a situation I wasn't involved in and had no knowledge of beforehand -- and am yet expected to make-it-all-better, and I think, "Come ON, people! I can't even keep my stove clean enough to meet Waffle House standards! What makes you think I'm capable of dealing delicately with other people?!?"

I look at the sad, sad situations of people around us, and want to scream, "Stay away from me, you freaks!" Yet I know, in my heart, that we're all freaks, and we're all deserving of leeway and grace. And I know, above all, that if we want to make things better at all, we have to roll up our sleeves and do something to make it better. (Screaming and running generally doesn't do much to further that goal.)

I see that the dog got out of his pen. Again. I see that he not only chewed apart the slat woven into the wire, but then actually *removed* the pieces, set them aside, bent the wires out of the way, and *then* worked his way out from under the fence. And I start to really fear that he's not just a dog, but perhaps a very angry, very intelligent, very devious being who is planning our destruction for trying to keep him in the pen.

But the thing is, even when it's hard to find the humor, and it's challenging to find the grace, it's worth doing. It just doesn't necessarily come tripping off the tongue in a way that I think anyone would connect with. So I sit, and stare at the blinking curser, and think, "I'm going to bed."

On the upside, I've gotten quite a bit of sleep the past few days. But, sadly, not much else accomplished.

So, today we'll be putting in thresholds and weatherproofing doors and windows. We'll be reminding others that people enjoy participating in wonderful activities with other wonderful people. We'll be making plans to reach out in our community. And we'll be keeping far, far away from that scary dog. Erm, we'll work on the fence a little more and see how he outsmarts us this time. But more than that, hopefully, we'll show the boys that sometimes it's not the length of the stride, but the fact that you keep putting one foot in front of the other, that matters. (Right? I mean, they *will* get that, won't they? I sure hope so!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Rebel said...

(((Dy)))

As my dad often says, "Sometimes you just have to keep on keepin' on."

Bob and Claire said...

(((Hugs))) Dy

Actually it IS encouraging to see that you are like the rest of us! : ) I'm so sorry you are having a bit of a rough time, and I'm praying for the grace to keep on for you. May the Lord bless you this week!

melissa said...

The HEROES in this world, the ones worth emulating are the ones who just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Buck up lil' trooper. Like it or not, you happen to be one of the heroes! This too shall pass. And for the record I have been known to actually speak the words.."get away from me, you freaks!" Sometimes...it's o.k....*I think*.

Meliss said...

I frequently find myself staring at the cursor, then giving up on writing anything positive. I am often impressed with the grace with which you handle the trials in your life with nary but an eye twitch. :) You are so right that it is a matter of perseverance! I'm sorry that those windows, among other things, are such a pain right now. (((Hugs))) to you!

Jenni said...

Of course they'll get that! You are such a wonderful example to your children and they are blessed to have you for a mom. Not to mention all these other bozos are blessed to have you in their lives as well, including me, the internet bozo.

Now, about those beetles. Our house is 2 years old. We have ladybugs and wasps crawling all over the inside of the windows this time of year and box elder bugs at other times. We can't figure out how they are getting in. Have I mentioned we have scorpions galore or that Caleb had to get a shot of antibiotics and an oral course for a spider bite? I think that's part of living in the country. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

The dog. Has he been fixed? They usually settle down quite a bit once they're fixed. Have you considered getting a pen mate to keep him company? He may stay put better if he has someone to keep him constant company--or they may get out together and have wild adventures:o)

I hope it gets better for you soon. Take care of yourself! I'm sure you already count your blessings every time you "kiss those babies". Isn't it amazing how much that helps?

Melora said...

Sorry things have been so awful! You are so right about just keeping on, however slowly. We have had a couple terribly unproductive weeks here, and when I woke T. up this morning and he told me that he didn't feel well, I told him that he Couldn't be sick anymore, and he Had to get up and do some school. I felt mean, but I Really don't want to do fourth grade with the kid a second time.

I was going to ask Jenni's question about devil dog's little operation. Sadly, even though our Bo is neutered, he will still scale the fence or did through wood and wire to escape when properly motivated. Only difference is that he is motivated by fear of thunder or gunshots, not desire for female dogs, and those scary noises aren't all that common (well, the gunshots are, but they mostly aren't close enough to terrify him). Anyway, I hope this is a great week for you guys and that Balto's girlfriend dumps him for a poodle.