Tuesday, November 20

Houston, We Have Contact

Almost 22 weeks along, now, and tons of movement. Nobody's been able to catch it other than me, but I have connections. Smidge got to both see and feel the baby move yesterday. He was thrilled. He also wore this accomplishment as a badge of brother-irritating honor for the rest of the day. Heh. Sometimes it's nice to do something "first". I get that.

Wonderful Neighbor from MD called me yesterday (I think it was yesterday...) to say she's having "a baby with two arms, two legs, and one head"! I'm glad she knew I'd get how exciting that is. Sometimes people mistake my lack of organization, or, um, the fact that I forget I'm pregnant until I drag my belly through the bread batter, for a lack of enthusiasm. It's not. It's still very exciting. And it would be fun to be pregnant in a vacuum, where the only thing to focus on is the baby growing inside. The closest you will ever come to that, however, is your first child. After that, life is a whirlwind of activity, needs, love, perpetual motion, and stolen moments of peace and quiet. It's good stuff, but certainly not a baby-centric environment. Hopefully, we'll be able to schedule an ultrasound soon. And if we can find out what we're having, that would be nice, too. I hate referring to the baby as "it". As if we'll be having a non Homo sapien offspring this time? Bah.

We'll finish up school for the week today. I figure I haven't had an Inservice Day in a while, and there's no sense in asking the boys to pay attention to that when there's so much else going on. Actually, we may even cut it short today, since the weather's supposed to be beautiful today and tomorrow, and then cold and wet on Thanksgiving. If I let them out for the next two days, I can get the house set up for playing indoors and then Thanksgiving Day will be a lot more fun for everybody -- big and little, alike.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

mere said...

OOOOoooohh...I can't wait for you to find out, but of course the health is way more important than the gender. How fun for Smidge to get to be first for once!

Just in case you didn't catch it last week the Charle Brown Thanksgiving special is on tonight on ABC at 7:oo CST. Our boys are very jazzed about it.

Have a great day!

mere

Dy said...

Oh, THANK YOU! The boys have been asking if we can rent it on Thursday. This is even better. Yay!!

I'm excited, too. :-)
Dy

Anonymous said...

wow! baby baby baby, a new member, how nice, ooops, yah, I know, which may also mean, new worries, new mood-swings and whatever that comes with pregnancy....

what are you hoping for? a boy or girl?...or whatever will be, will be kind of attitude?

Ernest said...

Drag your belly through the bread batter? Heh. You're not yet there, lady. :)

You have achieved the pregnant glow though, so that's something. I envy the both of you this time. A lot of days I think that one or two more would fill up my house nicely. Of course that's a hard sell when someone is up half the night throwing up. It's an easier sell when you hear the giggling and little feet running down the hall.

Jennie C. said...

No! Don't find out! It's so much more fun to guess, and wonder. And then there's that moment you first meet this little baby that you've known all along... Savor the mystery and the excitement of it all, even if there's only a little bit of time for such things. It's one of those ordinary miracles, and you only get so many chances to participate.

momanna98 said...

awwwww.... hurray for Smidge. It's so nice for the middle ones to get to "one up" the olders for a change. Ya know?

Unknown said...

Wondering and guessing is not fun for me, I'm too OCD I guess. LOL To each his own...

Is your friend in Maryland having a girl then or do I just have a really warped mind?

Dy said...

angeline, I'm good with healthy, honestly - boy or girl is fine, but at this age, I'm really pulling for "healthy". It'll be logistically easier to have another girl, as a boy would put four and a half years between this one and our next eldest boy, and that'd make the bedroom arrangement a challenge. (Yes, I know. I'm pulling for a gender based on floorplans. We'll just say it's proof that I'm good with either one, if I can actually think about the sleeping arrangements, right?) And honestly, either one would be great. Three boys, love 'em all. EmBaby introduced me to the Joy Of A Girl, and that'd be great, too. (Either/Or, though - I would NOT be thrilled with twins at this point. There'd be a lot of crying and whining on my part, I think.)

Ernie, you're a gem. Thanks. I've felt much more "haggard sea witch" than "glowing mother" this time around. Does this mean I can start telling people, "I'm glowing, dammit! Can't you SEE that?" And yeah, heh, it is easier to pitch the idea with the laughter and running amok in the background than it is with the wretching and praying for death. Definitely with ya, there.

Though I still plan to refer to KathyJo as "the slacker" of our little crew, since Jess, Andie, and I will all have five now. :-) You guys need at least one more.

Jennie, you are so gentle and sweet and wonderful, you know that? I'm so... not. I don't like surprises. I read the last chapter of a book first, every time. Tell me what you're getting me for Christmas. Tell me how the book ends. Tell me who did it. And tell me what I'm having. I just don't do surprises well, at all. You make it sound so delightful, but if I tried it, I'd be an unbearable pain.

momanna, yep, that's what we thought, too. And he was SO proud.

Jess, Erin's doc and u/s tech both said it's still a little too soon to tell for sure, but that if they had to say, they both would guess it's a boy. She's got two girls (they are so wonderful!) and one boy (I haven't met him yet, *sniff* *pout*).

Dy