Friday, November 30

Slackers

Well, not slackers. I prefer the term, "Creatures of Inertia".

It may not be a Physics problem, at all, actually. The best way to explain it is that when a day develops the equivalent of that "funky meat smell" (you know the one, where you think the meat is good, but you aren't sure, and you don't trust your nose, so you do what any rational human being would do -- you shove the potential biohazzard under the noses of everyone you care most about in this world and ask them to smell it), it's best to make a quick decision: turn up the heat and cook the snot out of it, or scrap it. Don't leave it on the counter and try again in a couple of hours.

Inertia determined I'd leave it on the counter. Yes, I know, probably not the best call.

However, we got our lessons done. We made it to a Cub Scouts pack meeting to check it out. And... well, that was about all we accomplished. The rest of the day just pretty much sat on the counter.

I realized yesterday that I need to make some changes to what we're doing in school. James needs more one-on-one, *gentle* guidance with his problem solving skills, and with learning to step back from an issue to take in the overall picture. A little work on retention wouldn't hurt, either, but right now shock therapy is the only thing that comes to mind, so I'm shelving that particular point until I have a better view of the big picture, myself. Someday, he will appreciate that. For now, though, it's my job to make sure he doesn't hear that inner dialogue.

John needs to get back to a more Spalding-based structure on his spelling and writing. (I know. I know. I love it. I just haven't been using it as I should.) He's also got to learn that when your brother is making Mommy pull her hair out, your sitting there actively trying to emit, Look at me! I'm being soooo good. I'm your favorite son! vibes... Well, that's probably not going to have a positive impact on the general dynamic of the day. If he was eight years older, I'd have likely thumped him on the back of the head and told him to quit being a suck-up. As it was, though, I just filed this away as a note to self to pull my hair out after they're in bed, thus avoiding the whole issue.

I've got to find Smidge's secret caffeine stash. He's got to have one. Nobody can be that squirrelly unless he's... ohhhh, yeah, four. Well, okay, so he probably just needs more outside time.

So, this weekend's planning will be all about integrating a new structure that will meet all our needs. Or attempt to. Or perhaps, even if I miss the mark, I can muddy the waters enough that they'll be forced into finding a new direction out of sheer self-preservation. (I jest. You know this. Or at least I hope you do. You should, anyway.)

This life, it's an exercise in attention to detail, stamina, and fortitude, isn't it? Oddly enough, I wouldn't have actually applied for a job that required any of these traits, and yet, here I am, absolutely convinced that I wouldn't want to be doing anything else, anywhere else, for any amount of money. I guess that's a good thing, and so, even if the meat is bad, eh, it's just a day here or there. The big picture truly is absolutely beautiful. And so, to kill off the rest of the mixed and mangled metaphors for the day, it's lovely to be able to change the composition of the frame when we find it's simply not working so well. A little higher. Focus a little deeper. Improve the lighting. Ah, yes, that will work for now. Beautiful.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh, I love when you've got one kid playing against the other like that. I think I did thump mine on the back of their heads, though. I'm not as patient. It didn't do any good, so I'd stick with the approach you've already chosen.

As far as bad days go, if you can still say at the end of the day that you are absolutely certain you wouldn't rather be doing anything else, well, that's not such a bad day after all:o)

Anonymous said...

So, just to double check...when Maddy say's "Mom, I really don't think shocking Emmy like that is going to make her remember the number 12." I really should put away my pilfered elctro-shock equipment.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I told the boys today that I'm on vacation. When they come to me with problems, I've been asking them, "Can't the caretaker at the resort child care center take care of this?" Unfortunately, it's not working. Jared actually rolls his eyes at me, and Nikki and Joshua just look confused.

L said...

Never thought I'd opt for the unpaid challenging career track either. What a happy surprise that was.

Love the bad meat analogy. One reason we home educate is to avoid the labeling that goes on in a school environment. "Best Used By" is just another one.

And yesterday, back in the emergency room for a bandaging tune-up on Elle's latest wound, I realized with horror that she is a mangled mess of scabs, bruises, and mashed digits. For a while I was afraid they might bring someone in to have a little chat with me about that...

Kate said...

So, are you going to join Cub Scouts? :+) My son *loves* it. He and Daddy are going to spend the night in a WWII submarine in San Francisco this weekend - they even get to "keep watch" through the night. :+)

I love my little man.

I hope you are feeling well?

Warmly,
Kate