Tuesday, September 25

School Days

I love this time of year as a homeschooler. Our friends are all on different schedules, drifting in and out of routine. Some have been at it hot 'n heavy since August, some are starting up this week or next. Some haven't taken a "summer break" at all, but simply kept moving along, doing their thing, and are now ready to take a week or two off and relax beneath the last of the summer leaves.

To the uninitiated, I'm sure it's a terrifying scene. To the homeschooling eye, however, this schism of uniformity is simply a snapshot of the essence of the homeschooling lifestyle: individual adaptation to the child's needs and environment. It wouldn't work in an institutionalized setting (could you imagine kids straggling in mid-way through a pop quiz, two weeks into the term?) It's uniquely homeschooled. And, I will venture to say, it is part of the health and vigor of homeschooling.

Recently, a question has come up that generally makes the rounds in September, again late November, February, and again in late April: what do you do when you feel the need to do something "different"? I love reading the responses, and they are as varied as the community from which they come:

We hit the museums.

We take our books to the woods.

We sit at the fountain in the park.

We jump on the bed while we shout out our grammar lessons.

We read something new.

We eat decadent foods and wallow in a really great play or musical performance.

We go hiking.

We take on a volunteer project.

We start a new curriculum.

Do you see it? Every answer says the exact same thing: we do what we need to do to keep moving forward and keep enjoying this adventure we're in.

It's easy to take for granted the incredible opportunities we have as homeschoolers. It's easy to get bogged down in retrieving yet another unit block from the baby's nose; in reminding the children that they are not to suggest to anyone in uniform that the Hagia Sophia should, in fact, be decorated with opium *ahem*; in thinking about the tasks to be done that aren't getting done while we're knee-deep in grammar forms.

But don't let it get you down. You're the only one who is capable of looking at those eyes and seeing if they're shining. You're the one who can change the course of a conversation from "ho-hum" to "let's find out more". If you feel ho-hum, well, that'll rub off. If you want to find out more, and do find out more, well, that, too, will become "the norm".

Our "normal" will not look like your "normal". Yet, the beauty of the homeschooling lifestyle is that if you see another "normal" out there, you have every opportunity and advantage of making it yours. Want to read more? See more? Explore more? Do more? Why not? Many of the delightful aspects of our Adventure aren't things dredged from the recesses of my own creativity. They are ideas, books, philosophies I've seen from a distance and thought, "We need to aspire to that." Aspiration. Goals. Do it. It's your school. It's your adventure. Go for it. Make it uniquely yours.

I do love this time of year.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

This is a timely post for me, as I've been thinking to myself that I feel sort of in a rut. But I'm almost afraid to do things differently and . . . I don't know . . . have any sort of a routine come crashing down and the whole homeschool thing run to chaos or something, LOL. But I think we need to, if only for my sake. I'm pondering what to try . . .

Jenni said...

Good advice!

Melora said...

I really needed to adjust my attitude this morning, and your post set me in the right direction. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I know this is going to sound strange, but yesterday after I read your post, we were having some issues with schoolwork. Justin was feeling all this pent up energy, and somewhere down deep, it was making him angry. I thought that we need to do something, or he's going to blow (and all I could picture in my mind was Mt. St Helen's blowing her top). So immediately we went outside, and the kids and I did relay races around the block. Yes, even I ran too. Woo-ey am I regretting that today, my leg muscles hurt so bad! But it helped. A lot! He was more able to concentrate, and had a better attitude. What a difference just changing up the pace did for him. So I jsut want to say thanks. For sort of giving me permission (in some wierd way) to do "something different". Sometimes I get so wrapped up in getting all the work done, that I forget that they are just little people, that have lots of energy, and need to get up and move once in awhile.
So, thanks Dy. You helped this mama deal with a crisis in the making yesterday.
-dawn

Regi said...

Thank you ... this is just what I needed to "hear".

~Regi

Meliss said...

We did the hiking thing yesterday! :) However, my nephew was heard to say several times that he was bored. I wished that I had some math worksheets in the backpack to give to him to do instead. :} With some kids, you just can't win! (Not that I'm really trying to win...)