Wednesday, September 12

It's COMING!

Fall. Is. Coming!

I'm so excited, I can hardly restrain myself. Or spell. I had to put on a *hoodie* this morning, people! Well, I suppose I could have just gotten dressed, instead, but where's the fun in that? It's so much better to sit on the porch and watch the oppossums destroy the garden when I'm in my comfy jammies. Come to think of it, where was the dog while that was going on? Hmpf. Probably inside, wallowing on the couch.

It was DARK when I got up this morning. At six. It was still dark at six! It was foggy, and chilly, and dark. Oh, the joy! The sun didn't actually come up. The air lightened, the fog glistened, the birds went absolutely nuts. The neighbors' rooster did his thing. Repeatedly. Ah, here comes the dog, once he heard the rooster. (The rooster likes to strut into our upper meadow. He's not horribly bright, that one.) All of it, except the potential for rooster mutilations, was absolutely beautiful.

We've been on a pile-claiming rampage this week. I think it's working. Zorak mentioned something last night about the progress of the "house reclamation project". Sounds like it ought to be subsidized, doesn't it? Heh. Better that it's not. At least this way, we know we're making headway and we can work when we need to. Yeah, we're getting there.

It's not all about the grand adventures. Sometimes it's the great adventures. The melons slowly swelling in the patch. The sound of the pickup heading down the drive in the morning. The things that become normal, commonplace -- birds at the feeder, little children draggin fleece blankets out from the closet and into the living room, getting up in the dark -- that really cement this life of ours and make it Real. So I watched the pickup head down the drive, gave thanks for yesterday's rain, and watched the little guy drag his blanket to the living room. And I smiled at all that's real. All that's mine. I feel so lucky!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Laura said...

Dy, you're so good at describing the joy of common things in life! Thanks for sharing your delight.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Gah. Why does everyone get melons except us?? :}

mere said...

I am wearing sleeves! And jeans! Actually it's in the mid seventies here now so I am a little warm but we have two more fronts coming this week...I cannot wait!

Poor little Sarah Jane has nothing to wear that has sleeves, so I really need to get on the ball with that. I'm jealous of your being able to wear a hoodie!

mere

Anonymous said...

It was beautifully cool here today as well! I really think Heaven is going to be about 72 degrees. I'm sure we have a few warm days left, but I really enjoyed having the a/c off, the windows open, and my 3/4 sleeves on!

Jules said...

Great post! I can totally relate to everything you say here - especially the House Reclamation Project. Ours is always a work-in-progress.

We're having awesome cooler weather here too and I am lovin' it. Fall is my favorite time of year.