Tuesday, September 18

A Day in the Life???

You know, I do love a humorous, yet honest, Day in the Life piece. By the time my sense of humor kicks in, though, and it dawns on me to grab the camera, the day's half-gone. Ah, well.


On that note, I found this little do-dad in my inbox. IKEA is sponsoring a photojournalism essay on the whole Slice of Life theme: What Makes Your Home a Home. Something like that. For those of you who don't run three to four weeks behind the rest of the world, you might want to check it out. It started yesterday, with daily assignments, and (bless them) a two-day grace period. (OK, in the interest of proper marketing and all that good stuff, the official title is: America At Home, a close-up look at how we live. There. Now I feel I've performed due diligence and all that.)


Tomorrow is also Talk Like A Pirate Day. Again with the coffee kick-in lag time, all you're getting from me is a Pirate Name Generator. But hey, a little rum and a couple'a coconuts, and you won't need anything more from me!


We've excperienced some stunning time-warp issues at the house today. Two hours to count to five in Latin and then stare blankly at four *review* questions. That pesky review. Such challenging stuff. Oh, what was that? Zelda? What? Uh-huh... *sigh* OK, let's take it from the top. Zelda has nothing to do with Latin! No, nothing. Fine. If you can prove to me that Zelda has ANYTHING to do with Latin, we'll talk. In the meantime, I am going to force you to recall such painful information as vocabulary, and then I am going to torture you further by forcing you to look up that which you cannot recall. No, it's review. Re-view. Looking back over what you've already done. So, um, yeah, it's not gonna be on that half of the book. It'll be in the half that looks vaguely familiar. Yeah, the part you've already drawn in. Yup. There ya go.


And yet, set the timer, and they can perform amazing feats in very little time. (90 challenging math equations in ten minutes!) *shaking my head* I'm going to have to get timers. Perhaps I can get timers implanted in their foreheads for Christmas. Not much fun for them, but oh, what a gift for me!


EmBaby, aka The Pit Viper, is learning the nifty lesson that if you are going to do unpleasant things, then the fun things will not happen. I hate this part of parenting. This is where I want to be able to explain once, "IF you bite somebody, you will not be allowed within arm's reach of people" and have that be... well, enough. There. Now you know. "IF you throw things at people during storytime, storytime will be abominably short." And again, that should do the trick, right? No? No. You're right. I know you're right. It's worth the effort to be gentle, consistent, and to develop the fortitude of our ancestors in not just eradicating the herd and starting over. That's why those little ones have such big eyes and fuzzy heads: God's protection for them while they work through this phase. They're too cute to toss to the wolves or exile to the compost bin.


Plus, when they do catch on, you have the opportunity to enjoy such beautiful moments as this:


And look, they were even all there, working together!

Right now, it looks like the grass suffered a stampede of sorts. Well, it did. But there's hope it'll perk right up soon. We might post pictures, if the plants survive!

OK, break time is over! Back to work. Hyeah!

(Kiss those babies!)
~Dy

7 comments:

Spinneretta said...

I have had those days. A LOT. Yep. Timers often work here. Amazing things :D
LOVE the little gardeners in training!

mere said...

Our problem with school today was that Sarah Jane wanted to roll on us while we tried to read out loud...and when we wouldn't let her do this she scribbled in our bird book. Yes, it's a very good thing that the Good Lord gave her a sweet fuzzy head and big eyes!

I think twenty months is when they start practicing for being two. (Happy twenty months by the way!)

momanna98 said...

Man, am I glad to hear that! I had such an awful day today and the whole day I kept thinking, "How does Dy do it? Isn't she hormonal? How can she be pregnant AND sane?!?!" I wanted to run away from home today. I hate hormones. Oh, and I havn't been able to get to my blog, for some reason my house is blocking transmision to homeschoolblogger so I havn't made my anouncment yet, but, I'm pregnant!! And that's why I had such a bad day... did I say I hate hormones?!?! Anyway, I will be posting indefinitly to my blogspot blog. And even though I was glad to hear about your bad day, I'm sorry you had one. ;-)

Melora said...

They are just too adorable. And you are trying to tell us that that Precious little Angel baby would ever sink her little teeth into human flesh? Inconceiveable! (K. bit too. Maybe big brothers taste good?)

I laughed out loud at your description of Latin! Being that misery loves company, I feel So Much Better knowing that T. isn't the only one who does that stuff. I tell him that if I could do a little brain surgery and remove Link (who, along with some Japanese cartoon characters, takes up most of his thinking space), I'd do it in a heartbeat. What is really driving me batty lately is giving directions for the fourth time when I've made sure that he was looking right at me each of the previous three times I told him exactly what to do and how to do it. Aargh! But it is amazing how capable they can be when properly motivated.

Dy said...

Oh, man, y'all are making me laugh. And feel bad. Today was actually not a "bad day". It was a high intensity day, certainly. I'm exhausted, ohyeah. But really, it wasn't "too far" outside the normal parameters. Which is, now, beginning to be a little depressing.

The smallest of the bunch were both on High Need, High Activity mode, and the eldest two had short circuit, erm, "issues". Those two occurrences actually do happen fairly regularly, just not generally both on the same day. It's probably on a lunar cycle, or has some rhythm I haven't the fortitude or desire to track (b/c honestly, if I see it coming, I'll go hide! I'm a coward.)

Spinneretta, I thought of you and your little ones while we were out there working, and how our garden spots don't come out looking NEARLY as lovely as yours. :-)

Mere, Oh, Funny! All I can do is laugh, but it's a "with you" laugh, not an "at you" laugh. She is SO cute.

MOMANNA!!! Congratulations!!! OMGosh, what wonderful news! :-D YAY!!!!! FWIW, I'm so not sane. I'm sure you're doing a fantastic job, and remember, by the time you figure out what's "wrong" with you (the lethargy, the mental lapses, the hormones), you're halfway to the Happy Part of the whole thing. Congratulations, guys!!

Melora, oh, if only we could form a cottage school. Nothing much would get accomplished, but we'd have company! LOL! What IS it w/ Japanese animation? ??? I don't get it. But then, I loved the A-ha video in the 80's, so I guess I shouldn't talk much.

It is good to know I'm in good company, though, ladies. Thanks! :-)

dy

J-Lynn said...

Oh Dy they're all LOOKING and are happy in that last pic. Well, Em isn't exactly smiling but she's not pouting or crying which I'd take! lol You need to frame that picture! Does it make me weird that I'm going to save it and print it out for ME to have? ;-)

Meliss said...

Your children are beautiful. I love that last picture!