Saturday, September 1

Piling Up

Things are piling up right now, and they're doing it right on top of me. I'm pretty sure the boys and Zorak are under here with me, and it sounds like EmBaby is busy scaling the pile so she can check out the view from up there. No fear, that one. Tomorrow is Sunday, a day of rest, a day of family, and a day of worship. I've got everything done that I can get done tonight to help bring about at least a semblance of the "rest" bit.

It's promotion Sunday for the children's Sunday School program, but only Smidge moves up to a new class. The other boys will now be the older ones in their classes (the classes are grouped two grades to a class), and will assume more responsibility, but they get to keep their teachers and their rooms. Not much will change for them, in that regard. But Smidge moves from the 2's and 3's room to the "Pre-K" room. Pre-K? Smidge? Ack. He's plenty excited, but I'm not ready for it. When we first started attending this church, he was nursery aged and he stayed with us all the time. How did he suddenly get old enough to be in a class with a designation to it?

Zorak glazed the bottom windows on the guest room today. They look lovely. Too bad the glazing takes "7-14 days to cure, depending on temperature and humidity" (this translates to: "if you live in the South, it's gonna be a few weeks, folks"). So much of this is on him, now, and he's got a lot on his plate, but one step at a time, and we'll get there. (He bought the heat gun for me, but that was the same week I bought the hpt, and come to find out using the heat gun to remove glazing is a no-no for expectant mamas. It's important enough that that's the one and only decipherable warning in the heat gun manual. I swear I don't get pregnant just to get out of doing work. Honest!)

The compost is composting nicely (this rain has helped with that quite a bit). The watermelons are coming in beautifully. Our pickling cucumbers (which will not be pickled, but it was a nice thought) are still producing regularly. Our regular cucumbers seem to have hybridized, but they're finally producing some interesting fruit. The pumpkins are still sportin' flowers, flowers, flowers, but no pumpkins, pumpkins, pumpkins. They've had flowers for a very long time, now. I've never seen a plant do that before, but they all are. *shrug* Obviously, we're not "farmers", in even the loosest sense of the word, or we'd have some idea why this is. Still, it's fun, and the children have learned so much this summer. So, while we won't be stocking our larder with canned goods from our garden's bounty, it's been rewarding in many other ways that count, and I can't say the adventure wasn't worth it. We all look forward to doing a much more proficient job next year!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

H said...

Colson starts his new "pre-K" class tomorrow too. How did that happen?

How goes the water situation? How is football coming along? And, hey, are you back at the big, wonderful church an hour away?

Becca said...

I have pumpkins and watermelons vining EVERYWHERE in the yard, but not a fruit to be seen, also. Dang bees! I just don't understand why one plant gets pollinated and the next-door neighbor doesn't. Odd.

Oh, and isn't it funny just how much preparation goes into making Sunday a day of rest?

Jennie C. said...

We had tomatoes, but they all died. Wilted away, one by one, right down the row. I never figured out why, but we only got a few small tomatoes.

Emily said...

Sorry for being such a spotty reader! Congrats on #5!!

We have cucumbers, watermelons and cantaloupes coming out of our ears here!! So, if I send you some of those will you send me 3 pumpkins, to save me from another trek to the pumpkin patch this fall?? :)

Walker's first day of preschool is Friday. He is excited. I am a wee bit nervous for him as this will be his first taste of actual "structure".

J-Lynn said...

Hey you've got flowers, that's something! I've got dirt. ;-)

They're growing up, awwwwww Smidge!

momanna98 said...

We have tons of watermelon flowers, two rotted watermelon, and one sitting on my counter that I'm afraid to cut into because I don't want to be disapointed.... Last year our cucumbers did awful, this year we have a million. Go figure. I tell ya, a garden has a mind of it's own....