Friday, September 7

Book Stuff

Some interesting things have crossed my desk this week.

The Myth of the Teen Brain -- on the heels of a recent article citing a belief that the human brain isn't capable of making consistently good choices until around age 25, this article seems timely, and offers some interesting mind-fodder for discussion.

Also, after Mere sent me some links on Permaculture and its founder, Bill Mollison (and then I stayed up WAY past my bedtime watching the entire series of videos), I spent some time poking around Alabama's agricultural/permacultural communities. Interesting stuff, there.

And enjoying the music at Pandora. (Gee, thanks, Steph...) That site was very aptly named. *grin*

Offline, the boys and I are enjoying some of the Arabian Nights tales, as well as Celtic Fairy Tales (Jacobs), and the Young Jack Sparrow books John received for his birthday.

Smidge has fallen in love with The Easter Pig, and EmBaby is completely entranced by a new Carl book. (We love Carl. We can make up beautiful stories for the littles, and when they get a bit older, and wise to our humor, we can cut loose and get a little wild with that ol' dog. Carl's good stuff.)

Have any of you ever read The Virginian, by Owen Wister? I just finished it. So well-written, but I've got to say, if Zorak were to come home from work Monday and say, "So what do you think of BFE, Wyoming?" I'd be packed and en route before he could bother applying for the job. *sigh* Beautifully written. A definite must-read for the boys' in a few years' time.

There was more, but I've been invited to go enjoy a crossword puzzle with my honey. We used to do crosswords together quite a bit, and tonight I wondered aloud why we don't. Then it hit us - we aren't getting the paper, scouring for jobs every week. Oh... yeah, that would do it. We read our news online, or from the radio. And by default, we stopped doing the crossword. But tonight, he found one. So we're off to play! Have a lovely Saturday!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

L said...

I was just reccommending Bill Mollison's books to another friend a few minutes ago. Great minds, and all that.

I bought the set on permaculture last year and they threw in the book on ferment/human nutrition and the duck/rice book. They're the most comprehensive and helpful farming/self-sufficiency books I own and definitely worth the price. If you can find a good deal on Mollison's Permaculture: A Designer's Manual, grab it.

Love the pictures of the kids! Especially the little dirt ball.

Cheers!

L said...

Here's Mollison's website if you're interested:

http://www.tagari.com/

Dy said...

Thanks. You know, watching him walk through the woods barefooted made me think of you and the girls! I had to smile.

I have seen the site. Haven't read the books, but would like to. He said/did a few things in the videos that set me on edge and really left me a bit frustrated. I'd love to find a place to get the information without the rhetoric, if that makes sense. But I have no plans to throw the baby out with the bathrwater, and would like to hear more about what he has to say. The proof is in the gardens he designed, and the forestry he's helped expand, and how beautifully they've taken root and thriven. (Thrived? Done well, anyway.) Have you been able to visit any of the areas there that he's worked on? If so, color me envious!

Dy

mere said...

Dy here is another link to David Holmgren's site...he's one of Mollison's co-founders.

http://www.holmgren.com.au/

He has a downloadable PDF book (Essence of Permaculture), where he discusses some of the philosophies of the movement. DH and I disagree with many of them, but like you said earlier the proof is in pudding so to speak...if a salty desert can be made into a productive green place using these methods then I think they are sound.

and another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFjFG24BeX8

Enjoy!, but don't stay up too late!

mere

Laura said...

I love crosswords, too! In fact, I skipped many, many classes in college in order to stay in the student lounge and work crossword puzzles with friends.

The B'ham News carries two crosswords each day!

Melora said...

I always loved Carl too. He gave me a soft spot for Rottweilers.

Bob and Claire said...

I love crosswords too! When I was pregnant with Luke, I used to do the one in the paper every afternoon with my feet up. Yeah, that was 4 pregnancies ago, LOL. My mother-in-law sends me this one section from her Sunday paper every week because it has 2 crosswords in it. We don't have an exceptionally close relationship, so this really means a lot to me that she does this, and I enjoy working them when I have time. Sometimes I think it would be fun if Bob did them too, but sometimes I'm glad I don't have to fight him for it! : )