Tuesday, September 4

A Birthday Brainstorming

Smidge's birthday is fast approaching, and we are nowhere near prepared. It dawned on us today that he's pretty much outgrown Thomas, and Bob, and... well, goodness, what comes next?

He's such a happy, contented little guy, and he seldom asks for much. When we're at the store, he doesn't oooohhh-and-ahhhh, doesn't beg for every dodad and shiny-packaged thing on the shelves. For that, we are very thankful. It's nice to have a contented child. But, well, sometimes that leaves us a little clueless as to what he might actually like to have as a special treat.

He is anxiously awaiting the start of T-ball season, which he'll be eligible to play come Spring. So, there's that. A little forethought on our part would have done wonders in procuring a Tee for him at this time of year. (Only eight or nine more children and we might get the hang of that.) I'll try Amazon tonight and see what we can rustle up, there.

We asked him this evening at supper what he might really like. He said a pinata would be nice. Oh, and "a pirate ship, with three pirates on it." (Hmmm, we have one exactly like that, but as he put it when we mentioned that point, "Oh, but that belongs to John, and it is his special ship." Ah. Ok, I get that. Didn't expect it from an almost-four-year-old, but I do get it.)

Whatever we do, he'll have a lovely day, and he'll know he's cherished, and he'll smile and laugh and be a joyful little boy. It would be so wonderful if we were all that contented with what we have in life (talking mostly to myself, here *sheepish grin*) -- but then, he's had that gift from the start, able to revel in Granny's caramel with his tush frozen to the patio, or wallow in snuggling with Dad on Saturday mornings while the bigger boys watch cartoons.

Sitting here thinking about it, I realize he's given us more gifts already than we could even bestow upon him. That's a tucker.

Ah, I'm off to browse for a bit, then.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

*A "tucker" is one of those things that makes you smile, so you tuck it away in your heart and pull it out when you need it later.

8 comments:

Needleroozer said...

When is his actual birthday so I can know when to call him?
Thanks for the call the other day- I just now listened to my messages!
Dude is out of town for a couple of days.
LB

Becca said...

He sounds like such a sweet and winsome little guy. I'd love to squeeze him!!

H said...

Here's what were hits with *my* four-year olds:

1. A *small* lego set, so he had something he could take apart and build all by himself.

2. "Knights" or "Police" playmobil.

3. His own "big-kid" backpack.

4. Water cannon squirt guns (1 for him and each brother)

5. A bike with training wheels.

Colson is the same way, in that he doesn't really *ask* for anything. But since all his toys are hand-me downs, we try to get him something special *we* would like him to have. In Colson's case, a small Playmobil or lego set (he loves to fiddle and build) and a backpack (he loves to carry things around).

Is there something you'd like to see Smidge head toward?

Dy said...

Hey LB, his actual birthday is Sunday. Hope you're having a peaceful week, my friend!

Oh, Becca, he IS so squeezable, and so snuggly. *happy sigh* I'm so glad we have him.

Hillary, gosh, Colson and Smidge would have such a blast together. He and EmBaby inherited the boys' old backpacks when we got the boys bigger ones, and he just loves his - it gets packed with all kinds of goodies when we go out.

And he does have plenty of hand-me-down toys, but yes, it's nice sometimes to have something that's yours, that's always been yours. We don't go nuts with that, but we do try to keep a few things special. Thanks for the ideas. I'll have to look into Playmobil -- one of those things I hear so much about, and just haven't seen, yet! :-S

Dy

Amy said...

Dy,

I saw some cool pirate stuff at Target - they have a ship you can build. It looks pretty advance, more like a Smidge *and* Zorak project, mostly Zorak, but it's very cool looking. There were some other pirate things along with it, but I didn't examine any of it too closely. It went along with a book on Pirates that looks similar to the Dragonology book.

I know what you mean, every soccer season we're digging among the mismatched shoes at Academy trying to find a reasonable solution for footwear for our two soccer players. Maybe next season we'll remember ahead of time!

Spinneretta said...

We have a wooden pirate ship from some English store and I know Target and Cracker Barrel have had similar items... perhaps he could have a pirate ship pinata... ;)
Legos are a hit here too :)

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

When I was a kid, Playmobile was a HUGE hit. We loved that stuff! So much room for creative play! I'm planning to get some for my kids when they're a few years older. Smidge might like them...also I'm pretty sure you can get pirate playmobile. Also knights and castles, if he likes that sort of thing.

Jules said...

Such a lovely tribute to your little guy! He sounds very sweet.

I have no suggestions for the birthday things. I can't remember what my boys enjoyed when they were four. Isn't that sad? I would have to go back and look at pictures to jog my memory a bit!

Good luck. It sounds as though whatever you decide on, he will be happy with it. That's a great quality to have! ;)