Monday, September 10

And Then He Was Four

Saturday night, I kissed Smidge "three kisses" for the last time. Sunday morning, he came to get "four, now, Mom!" It's gone so quickly, and it's been such fun. What would we do without our Smidge?

So, Sunday, we headed into church with a pirate ship cake, a pirate ship pinata, and a Very Happy Boy. We had lunch with friends from church -- she's from Japan, and oh, dear me, I'm glad she didn't make more food than she did, because it was fantastic and we'd have kept eating until we embarrassed ourselves. The kids ran around and had a fantastic time. And then, we headed back to the church for cake and ice cream.
Me-Tae and Me-Wa came, and another family with littles. It was a good crowd, not too big, and everybody very laid back.

Me-Tae is so. much. fun. I swear, everybody should have a Me-Tae. Like I told her, we do these things because, well, we sort of have to. But she does fun things because they'll be fun for the kids. She brought an ice cream bar - ice cream, sherbet, strawberries, caramel, and several kinds of sprinkles. What a great idea is that! The kids loved it. The adults loved it. We're going to have to start paying her for this stuff. It'd be worth every penny.



My batteries were just about dead, and I didn't get all the pictures I'd wanted to get, but the day was nice. And now, he is four. Happy Birthday, Sweet Smidge!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

14 comments:

H said...

Happy Birthday, Smidge!

You will love being four! You get to do soooo many great things!

Here's a hug and a piratey "Arrrrrrrr" from Mrs. H.!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Happy Birthday, Smidge!

Joshua turns four in a couple of months. *sniff*sniff*

Bridget said...

Wow, Happy Birthday Smidge. It really goes fast Dy, I know you were reading my blog over the last couple months and listening to me whine about my 18 year old. Hold onto him tight and enjoy every "little" thing with him. Before you know it you will be the one whining.

Anonymous said...

Awww, Monkey Boy is right behind him, he'll be 4 in October. He's had his Spiderman party planned for about 6 months now, lol! I can't wait til 4, we've been having a bit of a difficult time with the threes. But everyday I see him get a little closer to 4, and a little more self-control. It's amazing how fast they grow up!!!

Emily said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SMIDGE!!

What a great party (and that CAKE!! Wow!). I wish you guys were still close so Smidge and Walk could play again.

Have fun being 4!

momanna98 said...

I cannot believe he is four!! I think kids end up having more than one birthday a year the way they grow so fast....

Jenni said...

Your pirate cake turned out great! How did you make the sails? Did you borrow any parts from the Fisher Price pirate ship? I think yours looks much better than the one I did for Caleb's 7th birthday.

Happy birthday Smidge! Seeing his real name on the cake looks so wrong. It does seem like more of a big boy name, though;o)

Melora said...

Awww! Sounds like a wonderful day! The pictures you got are darling -- what a happy little boy! Ice cream bars are just The Best fun for kids. Happy birthday, Smidge!

mere said...

Happy B-day Smidge! You and Benjamin would hit it off, I am sure!

Jules said...

Happy Birthday Smidge!

It looks like a great day. And what a neat cake!

Dy said...

Thanks, guys. I showed him the comments and he just beamed. He's very proud to be four. (Evidently, he's worked hard to get here. LOL.)

Jenni, we did hoark the sails from John's old pirate ship. They worked beautifully! By three AM, we didn't have the umpf left in us to fashion sails, MacGuyver-style, out of grocery bags, bamboo skewers and duct tape.

Em, it kills me that we didn't meet you guys earlier in our stay back east. We'd love to have had more time w/ you guys!

Mere, I think Benjamin and Smidge would have a blast together, too. :-)

Thanks, again, guys. It was a good day. A good year. Here's to another great year, for all our "little" ones (momanna, I think you may be on to something about more than one birthday per year, too!)

Dy

Barbara said...

Darling boy -- and great cake!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Happy Birthday, Smidge! I can't believe he's four already - I think he was only TWO when I started reading your blog, Dy!

Oh, and that cake is fabulous. Wow. :)

Amber said...

Wow, four already - how'd that happen?? He's such a big boy! I love the pictures, and I'm glad he had such a wonderful birthday. Happy birthday Smidge!