Thursday, February 16

Yet Another Thrilling Day

Zorak awoke, showered, and headed out before the sun even thought about making an appearance. I'm in awe of that man's ability to work so hard on the house each night and still go to work every morning. Thankfully he's not a workaholic, or I'd have to slip sedatives into his coffee to keep him from killing himself!

Me? Yeah, no threat of sedatives, here. I need real coffee each morning in order to get up and moving. Actually, I'd rather not get up and moving. Life would be perfect if I could mount feeders for the boys (think hamster feeders, those are handy!) along one wall by my bed and we could all just stay in bed reading most days. That would be pure bliss. But no. I got up with Zorak, changed Miss Em, made coffee, let Balto out before he vandalized the foyer, fed and again changed Miss Em (who is markedly improved, thanks to a little eucalyptus oil and nonstop nursing - I'm wiped out, but she's quite perky!) Let the dog in. Let him back out. Let him in. I'm getting daily walks via trips to the front door. When we finally put in a dog door, I suspect my weight will balloon significantly.

*poof* John's up. Holy cow, yes, it's seven thirty already! Two chapters in Dragonology, a few peanut butter cups (because I don't have to be the nutrition nazi when there's only one up, right?), and then it's time to get dressed. Clean clothes, please, as we're going to Costco today. "Muenster cheese?" Yes, sweetie, for muenster cheese. (Why don't our regular markets carry this? We have our pick of eight kinds of goat cheese, but can't get muenster! That's just weird.)

Today we get to finish the wash, oogle stackable sets, pay bills, hit Costco, go to the barber (I've been threatening this for, what, a month now? Yeah, well, our barber isn't open Sun-Wed. It's hard to catch him. Today we ARE going!). John wants spikes. James wants it long in front and short in back (in the Land of the Mullet, he marches to the beat of his own drummer - thank God!) Smidge is still blissfully clueless, and I've actually become one of those mothers - he has curls. They are darling. I hate to cut them off, but he's got such a large head that I'm thinking it's not going to go well for him once he loses the toddler fat. So he gets shorn, as well.

We're still making daily, inch-by-inch progress on the house. Laney asked for pictures the other day, and I'd love to have some to post. Sadly, we're not making progress that quickly just yet. However, let me take this moment to solemnly swear that this is not a hoax, nor an urban legend. The Forever House does exist and we are actually living here, fixing it up, and enjoying the reprieve from the Very Cold Weather! I'm still elated over having a washing machine and a clothes line. We're still very thankful for the wood burning stove. We think new insulation is one of the most beautiful things you can hang in your rooms, second only to the walls you hung, taped, textured and painted yourself. I still get schoolgirl-giddy when a room is far enough along that I can attach outlet covers. Yes, progress is being made. It's just not pretty. Not yet. But don't give up on us!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Thom said...

Nutrition nazi? Land of the Mullet? Bwahahaha!! You crack me up, girl!

Very pleased to hear that Miss Em is feeling better!

melissa said...

Hey! My boys are headed for cuts today too!! BTW, PLEASE let John get spikes, that would be SOOoo adorable on his cute little face! (Don't forget to pick up a bit o'gel or wax or something to keep it up!) Enjoy the day. It's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What a brave boy...a reverse mullet in the LotM...:)

Dad just took the clippers to my little John yesterday. Kids had a birthday party to go to and he looked like a neglected orphan. His hair is the texture of Brillo, and sticks out all over, so he doesn't even get that endearing shaggy little boy look. He goes straight from good haircut to BOING sticking out over ears and all over in nine different directions psycho crazy person. So, we keep it short.

Too much caffeine. I'll stop now.

Happy day!
Andie

Anonymous said...

My four year old has quite a large head, himself, and when his hair gets too puffy, it's not pretty. I had to take scissors to his head myself the other day, it was getting too bad!

Melora said...

So glad Emily is feeling better. As Katie (a big fan of extended nursing) used to say, "Boo Boos fix Anything." ("Boo Boos" was her term for the you-know-whats.)

Are you suggesting that peanut butter cups, with their nice balance of dairy and vegetable (cocoa beans and peanuts), are not a nutritious breakfast?

The planned haircuts sound adorable!
Cordially,
Melora

Stephanie not in TX said...

For some reason, only half my comments ever make it on to your site ...

Hey, please be very careful with the eucalyptus oil. It's good, useful stuff, but it and menthol can be harmful, even fatal, to babies. How are you using it? Go as light as possible.

Anonymous said...

And I always thought South Carolina was the land of the Mullet. I guess, unfortunately, there is enough mullet to go around. James wants the party up front and the business in the back rather than the other way around, huh.

When I took the tribe to Sam's for the first time after the twins were born I feed the girls Slimfast shakes for lunch. I called them "mommy's special milkshakes." We all have to hide from the Nutrition Nazis sometimes.

Wendy @ WMF

Amber said...

Oh, I'm jealous - I want 8 different kinds of goat cheese to choose from! *grin* That's all we can eat around here nowadays.

I'm glad to hear little Miss Em is feeling better!

Emily said...

It took me forever to get W's hair cut too! I loved his curls!! But he too, has a big head, so off they came.

So glad to hear the Lil' Em is much better. Hope you got my email and there were a few tips you could use.

~Em

Stephanie not in TX said...

Hey, I'm the idiot who didn't realize that you were moderating comments and mine were going up later. LOL