Saturday, February 18

Darn Morning Blogging

The quality of my blogging is bound to take a serious dive pretty soon. First my caffeine has to go. THEN my night blogging gets yanked out from under me. What's next? Health food?

So, since Emily is now healthy and has the cry of a clear-lunged hyena, I thought I'd take the boys to see The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe yesterday. (Just LWW for the rest of this post - I'm conserving my typing energies.) But at two in the morning, a Very Stuffy Smidge crawled into bed to cuddle and shower me with snot. I realized two things: we'd spend Friday on the couch, and our bed is shrinking.

Really. It is. We used to be able to fit two adults and two wee children in the bed with only minor placement problems. But Smidge. Oy. The kid has the volume of an NFL rookie and he's as active as a tap dancer. Add to it Zorak's Elbow of Death, and Miss Emily's desire to suckle any body part she can find in the dark and... well, that's why I'm up! It was simply too dangerous to stay in there.

Today, Zorak will stay with Smidge (who has once again commandeered my pillow) while I take the boys to see the movie. They're so excited. We've finished The Magician's Nephew and LWW and are just a few chapters into The Horse and His Boy. James *clicked* near the end of LWW - Aslan, Edmund, salvation, the whole sh'bang! I don't know if I mentioned it here, but it was k-i-l-l-i-n-g me not to point it out to him as we read. I could see bits niggling at his brain, hints in his eyes that "there's something more going on here..." and then suddenly, KAPOW, it hit him. Now he wants to go back and re-read The Magician's Nephew with his newfound knowledge. He he. Yep, this is good stuff!

But it's also really great to see it through John's eyes. For John, this is the Ultimate Adventure Tale Ever. It's not any less thrilling to see the stories that way. Not at all. As a matter of fact, I'd read all seven books as a child, loved them passionately, cried when I finished, and never clued in. Not even a hint. (Yes, I actually read The Last Battle and STILL didn't suspect anything.) But I enjoyed it then just as much as John is now, and revisiting Narnia once in a while always reveals something new and exciting. So, in all, we're having a great deal of fun with this.

Zorak shared with me His Plan for this weekend. It sounds a bit ambitious for one who doesn't get started until after ten on the weekends, but who am I to put the kabosh on Grand Schemes and Things of That Sort? (Can you tell I'm abusing capital letters today? Certain things seem to take on a different feel when they're capitalized, and it cuts down on my abuse of italics.)

OK, well, the sun is now up and the day must begin!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Melora said...

Sorry about your early morning! We bought a king sized bed as soon as we could afford it after Katie was born, and I Still sleep on the edge, so I can only imagine how it is with 4 littles (even if one is very little). One of my favorite things about having Finally weaned Katie is that I can sleep curled up on my side without having an angry little person pulling and mauling me to put me into the proper position for her to nurse. I love my sleep!

I hope you enjoy the movie (we did), and that Smidge's nose clears up!
Cordially,
Melora

J-Lynn said...

Yes, our California King magically turned into a cot once Craig was born. Then add Belle and now Tristan and I will be paying the local naturapathic Chiropactors salary for years I'm sure.

I'm sorry you had to wake so early, did you get to bed at a reasonable time? Sorry you may have to miss the movie as well. Maybe you can take the other boys and Em while Smidge is napping with Charles in the house?

Hugs,
Jess

Amber said...

I hear you about the bed! We had all four of us in there this morning and it worked pretty well... but there is no way one more is going to fit! We're rather stuck with the size we have too, as we bought a really nice oak bed thingy with drawers underneath, matching nightstands and such shortly after we got married. Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it! *grin*

That is really neat about James figuring out the whole other story in the Narnia series! I am really looking forward to reading them again to Emma when she's older to see at what point she gets it as well. I never read them as a child (well, only LWW and I didn't get it at all) And I'm reading them now to Emma and I'm really struck by all that's going on "behind the scenes" so to speak.

Matt and I found it interesting that you're reading the books in the new order. We're reading them in the old order due to Matt's insistence. :-)

Laney said...

LOL! ELbow of Death. I have one of those, along with "The foot that gets put where it should not!!"

The nursing thing is funny. I was nursing Joe once and he let go, I thought he was done. Na-uh, he latched on to the side of my breast and YEOW! That hurt!

Laney, aka, Flavor Flav! (I read your little comment, you better run!) :-)