Friday, February 10

It Worked!

OK, back up a little bit. Miss Emily is not caffeine-tolerant. Figured that out the hard way today. And that was just throwing in a scoop of regular to round out a pot because we ran out of decaf. Egads. Never, never do that again!

On the upside, however, after the shower last night, one of the ladies at church disappeared into the nursery and emerged with a Homedics white noise machine. She handed it over with the suggestion that we give it a try and if it works, we can use it for as long as we need.

Very sweet. I accepted, but didn't really think it would work. I mean, come on, she has three older brothers and then there's the dog. It's not like we have a lack of background noise at our place.

But tonight. Oh, tonight... ugh. In desperation, I pulled out the machine and plugged it in.

The volume was up ALL. THE. WAY.

I turned it down.

And she stopped.

Instantly.

Jess was on the phone with me at the time - she can verify it. (She also immediately started turning the radio dial in her van, looking for static. It worked on Tristan, too. Screaming bloody murder to dead calm in 0.02 seconds!) We felt like we were getting away with something, what with having the rest of our conversation in silence.

Anyway, that was three hours ago. She hasn't let out a peep since then. (She's still breathing, yes, I checked.)

Of course, I have a passed-out thirty pound toddler on my lap... but at least it's quiet.

SWEET!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

pilgrimama said...

Very cool.Dy. Thanks for the tip by the way.Marcella PS. hope to never have to employ it,luckily our babies are usually colic-free but I have a memory of carrying a screaming Jess through the night.Not a heartwarming memory....Marcella

Delaina said...

Wow!

I never tried white noise. I'll have to keep that in mind if and when I have another little blessing. Let us know if this continues to work.

Anonymous said...

Just happened by your blog....I think you are still nursing right? If I am incorrect then disregard the remark. We had cholic problems with our babies till someone told me to take B complex vitamins...worked for us! glad the noise machine is helping...whatever it takes!
Blessings...Elizabeth

Melora said...

Wow. I never would have expected a white noise machine to work, either, but what a wonderful discovery! Maybe in a few weeks (months?), once she gets in the sleeping habit, you can start to work a little real coffee back in.

We finished up those math problems before bed last night. He wasn't complaining or upset, really, but he just couldn't seem to bring himself to do it without my coaching him through each problem.
I've certainly learned one approach that Doesn't work with him!
Cordially,
Melora

CarolynM said...

True story: Betty stops in at Glenda's house and hears the vacuum cleaner running upstairs. Betty asks Glenda if she's interrupted her cleaning. Glenda replies, No, the boys are napping. I run the vacuum outside their door to drown out the other noises so they can sleep.

So I tried it with my son, and it worked for him too! From screaming with veins popping out to humming along with the vac in 0.02 seconds -- just like yours!

Anonymous said...

This also worked with KJ. We ran the vacuum next to his bed until I thought the motor would burn up. I finally recorded the vacuum running and played that instead.

Rebel

Needleroozer said...

Another vaccuum user here. Was the only thing that worked with my son. I had never heard of a white noise machine!

Hope it just keeps getting better and better.

(And,no, I haven't heard anything yet. Will call asap)
LB

Anonymous said...

We love our noise machine. The twins still use their's--and they will be 3 next month.
Bill and I use one to drown out each others snoring.
We got my parents one for their anniversary last year, and they use it when they travel to drown out the Very Loud people in the next door hotel room.
I think hometics should give me a kick back!