Saturday, February 11

Oh, joy, a morning blog!

I know, it's a "blog entry", not a blog. I've been up since two, cut me some slack.

The Great Paint Dilemma has been resolved! We'll paint the walls neutral (I'm making Zorak break the news to James - he'll be heartbroken) and will either sponge or stencil shapes/characters/religious icons of the boys' choosing along the top and bottom border, around the windows and the door frames. In the three aforementioned hideous color. There. That's settled. I don't know about you, but I feel much better.

The boys have power and lights in their room. Yay!

The carpet quote came back a bit higher than we'd anticipated, and putting it in ourselves would only save us about $200. Hmpf. So we're going to look at alternative plans. I have a sinking feeling that we'll be putting it in ourselves, regardless. I was warming up to the idea, but then, as Zorak was explaining it to me, he happened to use the least appealing example possible: "It's just like putting fitted sheets on a bed..." Um, honey, I've seen you make the bed. This isn't going to end well for us, you know that, don't you? Oh well, it's the experience. The journey. Whatever. He's excited (not as excited as he was over the hallway lights or the door in the bedroom, but still excited), and that's worth whatever we need to do.

James has enjoyed being back to doing lessons-lite this week. So have I. The Third Eclectic Reader has some wonderfully fanciful poems in it, and we've enjoyed those tremendously. Math has been all oral review - and will continue to be so until all possible escape routes for the math blocks have been sealed. Writing, reading, history and literature. Plenty of time to snuggle and play. More patience, more smiles, more of the life we like living. More intentional. It's good. He deserves that. They all do.

And why have I been up since two? But the white noise machine worked... what happened? Ah, Miss Emily has the snuffles. And it seems that even if you are calm and collected, lulled peacefully by the sound of ocean waves, it matters not if you can't breathe! Poor thing. The snot sucker has been employed, and I've got to say she's a lot more forgiving about that thing than the boys were. As soon as you stop assaulting her with it, she will stop yelling at you for it. Wow. We even tested that theory by doing snipe runs at her with it - snuggle, snuggle, *SCHLURRPPPP*, snuggle. Yep, no prolonged agonizing screams. How. Weird. (Nice, but still... weird.) Anyhow, she's resting semi-peacefully in her carseat at the moment, and since it's nearly six-thirty, I'm kinda UP.

I guess I'll go make coffee and get caught up on my favorite reading materials. :-) Have a lovely, wonderful Saturday!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

My children hated the snot sucker. So much so, that I was able to write an entire devotional for our MOPS Newsletter about it: how our kids fight us when we're just trying to help, and how we fight God's plan when He's just trying to help. Only a bunch of mothers of young children could tolera...uh, understand my application.

Dy said...

Ahh, but see, then I can use the yolks to make a key lime pie - and there's no guilt over wasting a dozen eggs! (Um, okay, maybe several pies...)

Thanks for posting the recipe! :-)

Dy

Melora said...

I like your solution to the paint dilemma, and will be interested to hear what combination of story book/bible characters they settle on!
We used the snot sucker a lot on Katie, and she loathed it. She has allergies, and, even given her meds, she is always stuffy. Also, we Can Not teach her to blow her nose. (But we finally got her potty trained, so I'm not complaining.)
Cordially,
Melora

Stephanie Ozenne said...

Have you considered laminate flooring? I've seen it at Costco for around $1.50 / sq foot, and it's very easy to install. (do you have Costco?) Not as comfy as carpet to be sure, but easier to clean. And installation is nothing like putting a fitted sheet on a bed.

Dy said...

Steph, yeah, I'd much rather have the wood floor (either hardwood or laminate) than the carpet. I really wanted to do that throughout (in May), but carpet in the bedrooms was the one thing Zorak really, really wanted. It's about the only thing that we haven't either agreed upon from the start, or where he let me have it my way *grin*. I even pulled the "did ya see the stuff we pulled up" card, but to no avail, so carpet in the bedrooms it is!

Dy

melissa said...

So great to talk to you.....and James today! ;0) Hope that Miss Em is feeling better tomorrow!

Needleroozer said...

What a nice morning start you are off to!
Snot suckers are just another reason I am glad to be in the tween stage,lol.
I have an idea for the boy's room. Could you let each child paint a picture (canvases really are cheap), using the fave colors, and others if desired, and let them hang these in their special spots? Just another idea I had when I was supposed to be sleeping.
Talk to you soon,
LB

Emily said...

AWWW!! I hope Little Em is feeling better soon! We hate the snot sucker here too. I never could master the thing, so the torture was just prolonged for the boys.
Give her some snuggles from us :)

~Em