Saturday, February 11

James - All-Around Great Kid

I've just got to brag on James a bit tonight. He's seven, and he is really neat. We went to WallyWorld last night to get paint and a few miscellaneous things. We had such a fun time. He's silly. He cuts up and makes me laugh. Sometimes because he's trying to, and sometimes just because he's a goofy kid.

He is polite and respectful. He stops the cart to let ladies go ahead of him, says hello to children, smiles at babies, and brags about his siblings, his Gram, his family. We seldom ever have to remind him to say "thank you", or "please". Last night the man at the paint center showed him how the dispenser works, explained the color codes and the formula charts, let him put the clips on the cans and gave him the mallet to smack them on snug. As James ran to the cart to put another quart in the basket, I thanked the man for being so patient and attentive to James. He smiled and said, "Well, he's polite and interested, and that means a lot."

James loves medicine and naturopathy. He's just about mastered reflexology, just from reading my books on it. Actually, he reads anything he can get his hands on that pertains to these topics. This week he's been busily trying to formulate a cure for the flu, and he thinks he's found one for cancer (although he wants it noted that, "It is still untested, but I'm pretty sure it will work"). OH! If ONLY he had a lab! *he he* However, even without a lab, he's determined to find a way to make it work.

He loves to make up riddles, most of which I can never solve.

How are snowflakes, grains of sand, and people alike?


-or-

What's the only type of light your skin can see?


Those were today's riddles. I got one. The other one stumped me. The hint for the first question was, "It's what makes them so interesting!" That statement says a lot about James. He sees the world like that, everyday.

Doing thoughtful things just comes naturally to him; helping Smidge get toothpaste on his toothbrush, or pausing a movie when John heads down the hall. If he sees one of his brothers' hats on the floor, he'll take it to the brother. He helps unload the dishwasher, set the table, and keep the wood box full without having to be told. He holds Emily, kisses her, sings to her, and lets me know regularly when it's time for her to eat (which is always - he must think she starved in there!) The other day I overheard him teaching Emily her ABC's. He cheered her on and encouraged her, showered her with kisses. He never quibbles about bringing me a diaper or wipes - no matter how many times I sit down to do a diaper change and forget to gather those items beforehand. If one of his brothers is getting frustrated with a game or a project, he'll offer to help find solutions. He's forever building things for Smidge or gathering things for John. Just to be helpful.

He cherishes time alone with either Mom or Dad. He gets that we're different and that he needs us both. That is very cool. He loads up the pup and heads out with Dad to cut wood, or waits patiently for Zorak to take him hunting (during the season, of course). He doesn't whine and pounce up and down about going with me to the store, but if I ask if he'd like to go, he disappears in under a minute. I'm just now figuring out that he's in the Suburban, reading a book and waiting for me.

When we peek in on him at Pioneer Club, he is attentive and helpful. He loves to read Scriptures and stories for the class. He loves to help with the projects. He stays and helps tidy the room after class is over.

He handles disappointment far, far better than most adults I know. And he experiences joy to the depths of his toes. He's vulnerable and open, and truly, truly wonderful.

Of course, he still does things that make me remind myself, "They're little. They do that." He's just a little guy in many ways, and that's okay. He's only seven. But he's growing into such a fine, fine young man. I'm pretty sure he won't still be doing weird things when he's an adult "because it made John laugh" (then again, he might, have ya seen Zorak and his brothers together???) And we are relatively certain he won't always feel the need to pick tortillas into three thousand pieces and nibble them to death. But even so, he's well, well on his way to being the kind of man we need more of. And that's not only humbling, but encouraging, as well.

Yep, we love that JamesBear. And we're more in love with him each day. He's just an all-around Great Kid!

Kiss those babies!
Dy

11 comments:

J-Lynn said...

What an awesome post about James Dy. He really is such a neat kid! He's always been so well mannered and intelligient - and creative!

Oh and about the tortilla thing. I hate to tell you but Ry's a year older and still does that. Only he eats it into a nose, mouth, and eyes and holds it over his face to make us all laugh...LOL

You're doing a great job raising all the boys (kids! ack) and that's a big part of it!

J-Lynn said...

PS. What is the answer to the second riddle? Is it "sunlight"?

CooksonMom said...

Beautiful...

CarolynM said...

What a joy of a boy! The only thing I can add is -- imagine what a magnificent husband and father he will be!

Melora said...

Wow! What a great kid!
Cordially,
Melora

PS -- I told Ed about your idea for advertising, and we may give it a try. Thanks!

Needleroozer said...

Wow.
Beautifully lived, James. What an amazing young man you are becoming.
Beautiful written, friend Dy. Just beautiful.
Is number one, that no two are alike?
Is the answer to number two rain?
hugs to both of you.
LB

melissa said...

Awwwww...what a nice post. I hope that you read it to him. He IS such a good kid. And you are a good mom for remembering to take the time to notice.

Emily said...

What a great kid you have there! He and Q are so similar in so many ways!! I love reading about James, so many times it gives me great insight about my own kiddo.

You know, Melissa (in VA) first turned me on to your blog for that reason! "You have to read this! It reminds me so much of Q!" I have been hooked ever since :)

Be proud! You guys are doing such a wonderful job with those children.

~Em

Dy said...

Thanks, everyone. We really do enjoy him so much. I let him read the post this morning before I published it - as parents we forget sometimes to really show our children that we see - and appreciate - the wonderful things they do, and are. He is so wonderful, so regularly, that we sometimes take him for granted, and I wanted to let him know we "see" him this way. I'll show him your sweet comments in the morning. He'll appreciate them, as do I. :-)

Dy

H said...

What a sweet post. James surely does sound like a special boy. I'll bet he was glowing all day after reading it!

Smother him with hugs. And please let him know I am *very* interested in this untested cancer treatment of his.....

Blessings,
Hillary :)

Spinneretta said...

What a wonderful blog... and a wonderful son... please share more riddles... :) And the answers this time *rflol*

And the only reason my two are quite now is that DD is down for a nap *lol*