Thursday, February 9

Progress, I think...

With kids, you never know if you're making headway or not. You can hope, you can pray, and you can even squint really hard to see if it looks any better, but the truth of the matter is that you just. never. know.

And on to other fronts...

The boys are making genuine friends at church. For this, we're glad. We hope to start getting out more and making friends who live a bit less than an hour away. That'd be nice, but it's just going to have to wait until the weather clears a bit. I'd like to think of myself as a dedicated mother who would do anything for her children's well being and happiness, but in reality, I'm a wimp, and it's simply too cold and soggy to be out trolling for children.

The carpet people came yesterday and measured. They're going to work up quotes with and without installation. (That would be Zorak's Grand Idea! My arms and wrists still haven't recovered from yanking two gazillion square feet of subfloor, so I'm going on record now as saying that if we install this carpet ourselves, it's his knees doing the work! I'm gimpy enough as it is - I can't afford to be partially paralyzed from head to toe!)

We're still struggling with *how* to paint the boys' room. Their only request is that we use their favorite colors: the shade of purple on the Aussie hair products (the dark purple), "daffodil yellow", and some random shade of blue they haven't quite been able to explain yet. Zorak is a "white is good" paint person. He's trying to convince them that the walls should be a neutral color and they can paint the trim with wild and wonderful color! Wee! (Knowing that, for James, the words "neutral color" are synonymous with visual death, you can imagine how well that was received.) I'm the kind that would rather pluck out my own eyelashes than have to do something crafty and creative. So now I look like E.T. and the boys' room isn't any closer to being painted. Eventually, though, I will run out of hair and will be forced to face the room and paint. I'll let ya know how that turns out.

Miss Emily slept from ten last night until five this morning. As I changed the largest newborn diaper I have ever seen in my life this morning, I showered her with the kind of praise generally reserved for the dog when he pees outside! Bless that child and whatever it was that knocked her out. (I tremble to think it was the lack of caffeine... short-term, it's not so bad, but two years of drinking this stuff may turn me into a raving lunatic!)

We had our baby shower last night. It was very sweet, and truly wonderful. I was humbled to the point of tears on several occasions. They began by reading Psalm 139, and that pretty much started the tears flowing for me. Among the Very Darling Outfits, and Wonderfully Practical Items we received, the cutest was a little handmade bunny. I thought it was just a cute way to give someone a washrag, but three ladies burst out, "OH! A 'boo-boo bunny'!" Um, okay, what in the world is a "boo-boo bunny"??? (Yeah, for having four children, I'm horribly out of the loop on cute kid stuff, okay? Admitting there's a problem is the first step...) Turns out, it's got a spot to stick an ice cube in it's butt and you can use that for, you guessed it, boo-boos. Oh. Cool. Glad someone said something before I got it home and undid it. I'd have felt rather foolish to have a washrag with a bunny face embroidered on it, anyway. So, now that I know what it is, that is probably my favorite thing from last night. Very cute and creative. (There goes another hair... I hope nobody expects me to make one of these things!)

And that's pretty much it. Today is a day to rejuvenate and spend on the boys. They're so neat, and I miss so much among the paint cans and extension cords. Balance is important, too.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Sheila said...

On the painting idea, we are about to repaint the older boys' room. It is currently a very dark blue (space room) and I am painting back to a netral khaki color with a band of dark blue and olive green at the top. Each foot will be about 12 inches wide.
Then if they have a color change of heart, I only have to tape off and repaint the stripes.

You could do a Purple and Yellow stripe (Lakers?) and then add the as yet undetermined blue color as squares or spirals on one of the stripes.

Just a thought.

Kim said...

Oh, I do like the purple and yellow idea. Do take pics when you're all done.

Congrats to Emily for being such a great little sleeper!!

CarolynM said...

My hubby's office recently built a new conference room. Wanting to keep it neutral, yet liven it up with color to keep people awake during meetings was a challenge. The walls & floor are neutral, but they installed huge bulletin boards covered in colored fabric. Just an idea for boys who will want to pin up drawings, posters, pennants, etc. (My mom once painted an old bulletin board for a new life -- worked great.)

Dy said...

Sheila - spirals?!? squares?!? That smacks of creativity! Hey, you live realtively close by, huh? :-) Wanna come slap some paint on a bedroom for me?

Gretchen - yep, that's what the boys get, too. They're masters of the frozen foods, too - "mom, what about the corn on the cob? It doesn't have pokey parts like the carrots do!" They're thrilled about the boo-boo bunny! lol.

Carolyn - I love the bulletin board idea! Thank you! I don't know if it'll get me out of painting much, but it's an awesome idea just for the boys to have "their space"! BTW, you haven't blogged in a while... *tapping foot*

Kim - pictures! I know. I really need to actually complete a room so I can post pictures! I shared the "before" shots w/ a friend and she said (after a long and awkward pause), "Hmmm. I don't think I'd have been able to look past that and see any potential at all..." That's why pictures haven't been forthcoming yet! :-D

Keep the great ideas coming, guys! You ROCK!!

Dy

Unknown said...

Hey Dy,

I am thinking camouflage paints would be cool!

BTW, I have posted a few times on the blog, just thought that I would let you know!

Unknown said...

Hey Dy,

I am thinking camouflage paints would be great for your boys! You could either do the olive thing or you could do the blue gray thing.

BTW, I have done a few posts to my blog, just thought that I would give you a head's up!

Kiss that little Em for me!

Delaina said...

Hey, Dy,

I'm sorry about not blogging today. I will try to post something tonight. No promises but I will make an effort.

I would gladly come and paint for you! :-) I think it may be a good idea to just get a base coat on your walls of off-white or beige until you figure out exactly what you want to do.

Davey's room is a space themed room. The space bed is finished, the walls have been painted, there is even a big Saturn on one wall but we have a good bit more to do. So, having said that, I don't blame you for not wanting to get too creative. It has been a long process and we are not quite there yet.

Lauren wanted a pink and purple room with bugs. It took me a while to figure that one out but I ended up pulling it together cheaply and quite easily. I measured off 7 feet on her walls and marked that with blue tape all the way around the room. I then painted the bottom part pink, peeled off the tape, retaped and painted the top portion purple. We broke up the paint colors with a border (in her case it was a cute bug pattern). That could be an easy way to incorporate the colors and paint. And, I mean EASY!

I hope you get plenty of rest tonight.

Blessings!

Delaina

Patty in WA or Rover said...

If you can get hold of Devine Colors, please do so. They are *wonderful*. I did an entire remodel project *over the phone*--choosing colors, sinks, fixtures, carpet, tiles, granite and all--using the Devine color scheme (because I can't spell pallette or whatever it is right now, I say scheme. I love the English language...) Anyway, I swear you will never hate this advice. It has a wide range of colors but not 4000 of them, or 40,000, which is more to the point with most of the color companies. And they don't have "chips"--they have $4.00 pouches of paint that you can use to test the colors. And like I said, everyone I had to work with had to coordinate with the Devine sample--and they all knew what to do--and my remodel turned out *fabulous*--all over the phone line.

Do some color. In Alabama (not AB because I can't remember the postal code either but I love the English language because you can just spell things out...) you have enough sun and light that there are some beautiful colors (white not among them to work with).

And yes, I am a jerk and I have been trying to find a time to call but the times have been *trying* enough lately that I can't find a time. I'm sorry. I would like to talk with you. I am also off of email, so this is my point of conversation at this moment. We are at the cabin.

Hidey ho and all that.

Melora said...

You've completely rebuilt this house, and now you are having room color anxiety? Actually, I guess getting a consensus on color among three children would be a bit of a challenge. Have you seen the wallnutz.com site? They have big stencils for bedroom walls that work very nicely.
The boo boo bunny is a marvelous item. Ours lives in the freezer.
Cordially,
Melora