Tuesday, July 5

Happy Independence Day

See, Thom? I'm late again! *grin* I sat down last night to blog a bit about all that's going on, but you see, you should Never Give a Writer a Topic...

If you give a writer a topic, she'll develop an idea...
and then she'll want references to fill out her idea...
and when she has references, she'll just want more background...
and once she has additional background, she'll look for related themes...
and as those themes come together,
she'll get an idea...

It's a vicious cycle. I gave up around three this morning. Still never found the one quote I was looking for (blast this limbo-life, so bereft of books, and that creepy, spider-infested garage that holds them!)

Mainly, in thinking about the role of our government, the role of us citizens, the line between the two, and the flow of power, I found myself thinking hard about what the people on Edisto Island wanted - and fought for - after the Civil War. These men and women are my heroes. They knew their rights, and they stood their ground. They did not ask the government to give them everything to get started, or to carry them on. They looked to the Constitution and to citizenship, what it meant and what it could mean. Those were their goals. What these people wanted, worked for, and demanded from our government shines in my heart and mind as the ultimate in Citizenship today. We hold these men up to the boys as examples of true Citizenry and integrity. I would butcher the quote I wanted to share if I tried to reproduce it from memory, and no Google search has turned it up. When I find it, though, it's going on my banner at the top so I never lose it again.

Private Ownership of Property: the delineation between feudal serf and freeman. The ability to own property is one of the cornerstones of a free society. Bit by bit, this right, protected by our Constitution, and the power of the government to infringe on that right, limited by the same Constitution, are being mutilated and manipulated in an insidious manner. I am as amazed at this eminent domain proclamation as most people seem to be, and on so little sleep and a rapidly depleting iron level, there's not much I can say on the matter that hasn't been said more eloquently by others at this point. I am glad to see fervor on both sides of the fence, though. That gives me hope. When an issue, such as this one, or the McCain/Feingold gag order on the first amendment, actually comes to pass, it ignites bonfires of indignation in those who truly love the Constitution and we tend to see some strange bedfellows, indeed. Personally, I love it. Not the acts that bring it on, but that it can still happen.

Decisions like this draw the line between those who ultimately believe in self-government and those who actually do think we're all too stoopid to tend our own gardens (or, in this case, own our own gardens). The results generally surprise the few morons who honestly didn't see that coming (the five people in the United States who actually thought this one was a good idea). This is where I get so riled up I start stuttering and wondering just how the next few decades are going to play out for America. More foaming at the mouth. Total loss of eloquence. I do hope to actually have something new or unique to add to the discussion once I calm down. Right now, though...

Well, did anyone see Team America? The theme song (rated R - don't let your children Google this song!) keeps running through my mind. It's very, very sad when I fantasize about puppets saving the United States.

On a more positive note, however, I've just finished re-reading God, Guns & Rock 'n Roll, by Ted Nugent. While Ted and I differ (wildly) on a few particulars, there were many things in his book that struck home for me. One, in particular, I'm sharing here tonight. I think it bears repeating.

I cannot believe that any American citizen does not have a face-to-face, hands-on relationship with law enforcement leaders in his or her community and home regions. I cannot believe that any American citizen could accept having zero input into policymaking by not having a consistent ongoing communication with his or her elected representatives. In the absence of such communication, you in fact have no representation.

-Ted Nugent
God, Guns & Rock 'n Roll


Sing it, Brothah! We liberty-minded individuals often spend our time and energy talking amongst ourselves. Preachin' to the choir. Or arguing online - with people we aren't paying to represent us - attempting to convince them of our perspective. But how often do we sit down over coffee with local candidates for office? How often are we there, in person, at city council meetings or state level hearings? How many letters do we compose in our heads, and does that number match the number of letters we write up and mail to our representatives, newspapers and law enforcement agencies? Sadly, the results of such a quick, impersonal poll are dim. I'm guessing the margin of error is relatively small, since nobody has to 'fess up, but just be honest with yourself. It's okay. I don't have the technology to see you (yet).

We can't change it with our anger. But we have the law of the land on our side. We do have a voice in our Constitution, and raised high, that voice can be heard over the cacophony of crap the media and other outlets have plugged into the amp. It is never a lost cause. Freedom, and this beautiful land of opportunity, where the outcome is based on individual input and motivation, but the true playing field - the opportunity to use your input and motivation - are still alive and well; they are still ours. We are still free, and we cannot let things like this slide. America has made some great strides, perhaps greater than anyone imagined, but sometimes a big leap backward happens, as well. We cannot allow this to continue.

So, in honor of Independence Day, I'd like to issue a challenge. I don't care who you are or what it says on your voter registration card (but you must have one, otherwise we need to talk about much larger issues!) In the next month, write one letter, meet with one representative (of any kind, I don't care, just go), write a LTTE for your local/state paper, and take your family out together, to do something. Do something that means Citizenship. Do something that means something. I'll just ask for a show of hands on August 5th. But if you'd like to share what you've done, come brag away. Share your ideas. Don't be snarky, and don't be a jackass about it, ok? Just come and say, "I did xyz this week!" and we'll go "YAY YOU, Fellow Citizen!" OK?

Start by kissing those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Laney said...

Hey! Do you have my house bugged??? Kevin and I were just talking about almost the exact same thing. (BTW, I have the Nuge's book on hold, can't wait to read it)
We have a major problem with people speeding down our street, I'm talkin' get sucked into the draft fast! We have purposed in our hearts to go to the town meetings and let our voices be heard! We call the police and they do NOTHING! So instead of taking the law into my own hands and tossing balls into the street so they will have to slam on their brakes,(o.k. I never said we were mature!) I will let my voice be heard!

Laney
p.s. I was totally kidding about the ball thing!

Laney said...

Me again!

I am not sure if what I wrote is the kind of action you meant, but it is the issue that is closest to our hearts right now. It involves safety and the well-being of our children so I think it counts.

BTW, August 5 is our ten year wedding anniversary. Good choice!

Dy said...

Laney,
Do you watch Malcolm in the Middle? They had an episode with something exactly like that. The parents tried everything, down to building a speed bump (which the police, who did nothing up until then, made them dig back up). They ended up stealing the perpetrator's car and taking it for a joy ride. Then they fantasized about running away to Mexico to live as Raul and Consuela. Zorak and I laughed SO HARD.

But, um, *ahem*, yeah. I'm good with any active citizenship. Town meetings are good. :-)

I'm going to scout out for some stray grocery carts. Start planning your trip! I firmly believe that's why God gave our children two parents. You know, so while one is laid up... *grin*
Dy

Laney said...

ROFL!!! You never know what is going to happen when you tell a bunch of WTM-ers that you regularly watch Jackass! I was almost afraid to check back at the comment but when I saw your name, I knew I was safe from the flames!

I did not see that episode but Kevin has said, on more than one occasion, let's push the umbrella stroller out into the road and see what happens. He's sick, I tell ya, sick!!

I would love to come visit you! I bet our boys would get along famously!

Have a great day!

Amy said...

DY! I just got through telling Donna I'm in a summer-induced hypnotic state and have nothing to say. This is a huge assignment you are handing out girl! Could my deadline be in the fall? I should be out of my trance by then.

I was thinking these thoughts as I read the firework debate on the boards yesterday. Yeah, those guys shooting off illegal fireworks - civil disobedience my a**. When I see them working to change the law, then I'll give 'em a little more credit. But for now they're just lawbreakers to me.

Big talk of iminent domain around here with the Cowboys new stadium. Makes me sick. Sick. I'm going back into my trance now.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

*groan* Every single time someone mentions that movie, I get that song stuck. in. my. head. for. days.

As for the rest, I have nothing to say right now. I'll just sit quietly and foam at the mouth with you. Grrr.

Sheila said...

Hey, I'm ahead of the game. We've already done that this month. We did it on the 4th after I read ZooDad an article about "art" funded by the National Endowment of the Arts.
I even have the addresses bookmarted for future need.
When you email the president, you get a nice little auto-reply. However, our congressmen don't even send an auto-reply. Hmmmm......

The Crib Chick said...

Laney...*you're* the 'Elaine' that posted about watching 'Jackass'?!

Will you be my friend? :o)

Everytime I see someone reveal something like that (KathyJo will testify that we bonded after I let it slip that I've er, *glanced* at the Simpsons while flicking through channels, ahem.) I get encouraged; I'm not alone.

I've never watched 'Team America', but this is funny, because I was thinking about it just last night; I've been trying to get ahold of a copy of 'South Park Conservatives', written by one of the South Park guys (who I believe did 'Team America', right?)

Anyway...to the Netflix queue!!

And Laney, I've never actually watched 'Jackass', or 'Jackass: The Movie', but I've toyed with the idea of pitching a documentary series to the makers, 'Jackass: The Lifestyle'. (smirk, smirk)

Actually, I think I just like the word, 'Jackass'. Sorry.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Jill, you forgot our mutual appreciation for ratty t-shirts. ;~) Today I'm sporting a white Hanes Her Way with no less than 2 holes with the neck and sleeves all delightfully worn and frayed.

I don't think I've ever watched Jackass, but it is one of my favorite words. (My pastor said I could keep it when I talked to him about quitting cussing. :~D ) I will admit that I've watched The Man Show with Roscoe before, and even laughed at parts.

"America..." *sigh* Yes, Dy, it's still stuck in my head... :~)

Thom said...

Alright, I'm on the good citizen band wagon. It's been on my mind to get back involved in local politics since I moved, and your inspirational blog has prompted me to get off my fanny and do it. Deadline, August 5th. Okay.I can do this.I won't be late.
I won't, I won't! LOL!