Monday, July 18

The Flight That Wouldn't Leave!

Wow, I should probably check the news to see if Zorak has arrived at his destination. At this point, however, I have no idea what airline he was on or which hubs he went through, let alone an actual flight number! Airline people despise callers like that, so until I know he has his luggage safely in hand, I'm not calling anyone!

It was a rough one for him, and that's bad, considering he hadn't yet been given his routine "random" search the last time we spoke (oh yes, every flight, every time, always). I don't imagine the trip got much better. On the painfully Pollyanna side, though, the repeated equipment malfunctions and stray terriors chewing on landing gear (or whatever the problems were) did allow us to go back to the airport a couple hours after we dropped him off and join him for lunch. That was a nice treat. Then it was back to the relative normalcy of our lives while he continued to try to get out of Huntsville.

Once we figured he was in the clear (or would call if things changed again), we drove around, enjoying the thrill of the open road. I gave the boys squishies and corn chips and they were happy little accomplices. Oh, sure, we did pay for swim lessons, explore the dive shop, pick up a new Bible for the boys, hit the market, check the mail, return some library books, and gas up the Suburban. But those were nothing compared to getting out 'n about! WEEEE!

Evenings without Daddy take on a whole different tone. They're more orderly, more efficient, and not nearly as much fun. My gypsy genes don't get me all the way through the day on "full performance mode". It didn't help that I cried and sniffled my way through tonight's Mowgli reading. I don't know if it's a good sign or not that the boys no longer get worried about me when I burst into tears during a story. *grin*

However, all is quiet, and I'm going to go curl up with Doctor Zhivago and a cup of coffee for a while. Just until Zorak touches base.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

With both our men flying today, I had this horrible thought that Zorak might have been the one Roscoe insulted today. :~) (I never know when he's flying direct and when he has to switch planes.) Then I realized that Roscoe flew this morning, and Zorak flew tonight, so it had to be some other hapless traveler that Roscoe offended. Whew!

Patty in WA or Rover said...

Does Zorak know about you and this Zhivago fellow?

Your post inspired my teeny blog post tonight.

Dy said...

Kathy, I laughed so hard when I read his traveling post. Nah, Zorak is difficult to offend, and he doesn't have a hard-sided travel bag. ;-) He just uses the suit bag and checks that.

Patty, I snorted bubbles in my coffee when I read this! Then I thought, "Well, that's okay, he's traveling with Ayn Rand. He probably thinks he got the better end of the deal!"

J-Lynn said...

Geo gets "randomly" searched every time as well. I always thought it was his Fidel Castro I-will-never-smile-or-shave look but what on Earth would they get Charles for? He's got more of the Elvis Costello thing going on than Fidel Castro - I guess they don't like that look either? LOL

Hugs, glad you had a great day!

The Crib Chick said...

Once again, proof that Dy and I share a brain...

"Evenings without Daddy take on a whole different tone. They're more orderly, more efficient, and not nearly as much fun."

Ex.actly. That's precisely how it goes here, too. The house can be kept neat as a pin...but so what? And watching PBS or British drama just isn't as much fun without my Mr. Crib Chick snickering at it in the background. (Sniff, sniff...)

Sheila said...

What a good wife! When ZooDad has a delayed flight, he goes into Ogre mode. I don't voluntarily travel to be with him when his annoyed with the Delta people.
I don't keep up with airlines or flight numbers either. I'm lucky to know his final destination.
One time MIL asked me where her son was and I answered, "I think he's somewhere in Texas."