Saturday, July 2

Extreme Sports: Househunting

We hiked 40 acres, straight up and down, today. It was lovely terrain. It was relatively dry (and I use that term excruciatingly loosely), but hot. There was no breath, no hint, no memory of a breeze today. It almost killed us.

John is, perhaps, the toughest child I've ever seen in my life. He was the only one of the five of us keeping up with the realtor. And that man was flying through the bushes and over ledges at a speed that made the Ewok chase scene look like a slow-motion play-by-play! Twice I saw John's little head dip into oblivion, only to pop back up again a split second later as he muttered, "I'm OOOkkkay!" Not a whine out of that kid, and when we hit the roadside again, he was bounding about, waving to tractors, happy as can be! Zorak says John reminds him a lot of his cousin, Todd - which is neat, because Todd is a neat guy. Todd used to ride his horse across the mountains to get to a rodeo, ride in the rodeo, and then ride home with his trophies. Come to think of it, Todd's horse was pretty tough, too. Anyway, he's an ag teacher in New Mexico now, and one heck of a neat guy. And John looks like he's shaping up much the same way.

Poor James - I felt like Capt. Aubrey, shouting, "Light along, there! There isn't a minute to lose!" While he played Maturin, stopping every three steps, sometimes two, regardless of whether we were all perched in line behind him, balanced precariously on a ledge. He was clueless about what was happening behind, or ahead of him; not oblivious out of indifference, but out of utter fascination and absorption in the phenomenal things you find under a canopy of trees. His one thought was to observe some kind of moss, or watch a spider, or identify some kind of creature. He was hooked. I thought, at first, that I might just leave him there if he didn't stopit, but when the parallel hit me, I just laughed to myself (between those sucking, rasping sounds I assume were breaths) and tried to be more patient.

By the time we returned to the Suburban, Zorak was 100% certain he wanted nothing to do with this property. At any point. Ever. Again. Meanwhile, I kept looking back wistfully, wondering just what size bulldozer we'd need to clear a pad and how difficult it would be to drop a well. Obviously, this wasn't "the" property. But it was good to see, and if nothing else it will bring us one step closer to finding the one.

The boys were exhausted when we got home. They had been so patient, and showed such fortitude on the whole excursion, that we just felt the occasion called for ice cream sundaes and milkshakes! Then we hosed them off and re-heated lunch leftovers, which they devoured while we watched a movie.

It was a great day. No ticks. (Still have the willies.) Met a really nice realtor, and one rather creepy one.

Oh, and I think I've found a place for the boys to take swim lessons. I will have to ring them on Tuesday and get the details, but it's at a Dive Shop, so I'm pretty enthusiastic about it. And if there is still room available, they'll both take a basic drawing session class at the Art Museum later in the month. Finally, it's starting to feel like summer, eh? *grin*

I'm off to de-crud from today's Extreme House Hunting (next week we're just going to parasail over the properties with the camera and make our own topo maps!) and visit with my Zorak.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Laney said...

Ugh! I remember all too well the house/property hunting experience. I affectionately refer to it as "hell". Your boys are troopers to say the least.

James sounds just like my Jeremy, poor kid, he gets distracted by air. I always say, C'mon, now, let's stay on task. He tries, LOL, but somehow...well you know. It is a lesson in patience for us, isn't it?

It is my earnest prayer that you all find yourself settled in the perfect place very soon!

Amy said...

I think James and MB would get along very well together, although we would never get them out of the woods.

I love hearing about your househunting/landhunting adventures. I am just surprised that you are keeping up so well. Congratulations by the way!!

I think I have fixed my html problem. I do not know why this template just doesn't want to play nicely with IE, and since I use Netscape most of the time, I am just not aware.

Amy

Kim said...

It sounds as if your house-hunting experience is far more arduous than ours. Oops; better not say that. It isn't really "over" yet.

J-Lynn said...

Love the description of the hike Dy! Ryan would be the one running along side John while Craig and James would drive us batty looking at everything. Then there's Alyssa who would be talking about her hair or church or something, oblivious to the world around her. ;-) Did you carry Jacob or use the sling? That is the part that would kill me! lol

I'm praying for you - I just *know* you'll find the homestead soon enough.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

John sounds like my middle boy, and James sounds like my oldest. :~)

We found a tick here today. It was on the back of my baby's neck. I'm glad that a) Roscoe was here, b) Roscoe's the one who found it, and c) Roscoe had it off my baby before I had time to start my hissy fit.