Thursday, December 30

A Balm for the Heart

My goodness, what a wonderful world! Not only did we spend this week completely captivated by the majestic cliffs of the Northern New Mexico Pueblos, by wide rainbows braced above roaring arroyos, and by the from-the-toes laughter of the boys, but then we came to my "Happy Spot" (here with Aunt Pat and Uncle Ed) to spend the night and most of this morning. Ah, what a salve.

I am thankful we've been in the Southwest this week- the sweet smells of mesquite and cedar, the deep and honest laughter of folks who've known me for most of my life and still love me unconditionally, along with so many other things that act as touchstones, reminders of who I am and what makes us who we are, combine to create a soothing balm for the heart, for the soul. (Remind me to blog about that when we get home- they deserve more time than I can give them this morning.) There is no substitute for seeing your children loved simply because they are children. There is no greater strength than that which is shared by those who understand the importance of unconditional love. Phenomenal. Simply phenomenal.

Then I checked my email and just about fell out of my chair to see so many kindhearted and warm comments regarding the loss of our Wee One. If anyone ever doubts the power of one kind word, they have never been on the receiving end of several. Thank you.

We are heading to Prescott today. Aunt Bette has been caring for Uncle Stan as his health has steadily deteriorated. He hasn't eaten in several days now, and to be honest, I don't know what we will find when we arrive. She sounds so afraid and lost when we talk with her over the phone. She is sometimes angry, which is a normal reaction to being afraid and not knowing what to do, or what will come next. She needs us there, to listen, to hold hands, to help if we can. So, thankful for our time of rejuvanation here with Aunt Pat and Uncle Ed, it is now our turn to offer rejuvenation and unconditional love to others.

That's how life works. It's not always joyous and uplifting at first glance, but it is always good. Sometimes the richness is found in the darkest corners, when someone else brings a torch to warm you and light the walls. I'm thankful for those who have brought them to us, and for the opportunity to take them to others.

We're off to brave the flooding Arizona highways!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Claudia said...

Dy, how I wish we were still in Prescott and able to see you guys. I am glad you are having a good time and a safe travel. Hugs and kisses to all of you.

Karin said...

I just found your site on the WTM board and am looking forward to reading more of your posts. You have been blogging for so long that I will simply start from this point forward. We homeschool using WTM as a source, but are more eclectic homechoolers than strictly classical (but are studying Latin and some of the other things associated with classical education.)

Sharon T said...

I think you might enjoy Troy'S Amazing Universe. Itis filled with action and adventure, but the point of veiw is quite unique, it is told through the eyes of a of a special boy, who has difficulty speaking clearly and is much smaller than most children his age... and has difficulty fitting in regular school.

Anonymous said...

My dearest friend.

I don't know why I have been thinking of you and your crew for the past several days, since Christmas to be exact, wondering about what you are doing and hoping you reached each destination safely. Call me a worry-wart or whatever you will, but I get such anxiety when people I know and love decide to drive across counrty, espically during the holiday season (and in a surburban from the age of the Carter administration). Throw in the weather and I start pulling out what is left of the rest of my hair (eyebrows and moustaches no more). Guess it just proves I'm the glass is half empty kind of guy.

After a week of wondering I remembered your blogsite and dropped by to check in on you (I suspected you'd find a way to post). I was really jealous and homesick reading about your journey to the land of enchantment and made me long for a quality journey home. But as I read on I was terrified to learn of the end of ... well ... you know and I was forced to remember when Tess and I had a similar experience. I was an emotional wreck for quite a while after that and I find it amazing how you were able to write about it with such elegant understanding. Having no children of my own (and no prospects currently) I don't like to think about what could of been, but believe Mother Nature knows best and something was tragically wrong and forced our hand knowing we never could have made the decision.

As always, all my best to you, my name sake, the hubby with the funny name, headed to the frat house John, and the ankle biter.

James

J-Lynn said...

Hope you guys are safe and having a good time. Love you!
Jess

BGK said...

Thank you for sharing your story. This is totally inspiring. I'm enjoying your blog.