Wednesday, January 5

2300 miles in two and a half days!

WOW, that's a lotta driving! However, we are home, and boy does it feel good!

The return trip started around four o'clock Sunday afternoon. We left from Las Cruces and drove straight through to Nashville, where we slept hard for 10 hours Monday night, then hit the road again Tuesday. We pulled into town early this morning.

The transmission started giving us trouble just outside Knoxville, so that last leg of the journey took a while as we nursed the little thing home with a cranky 2nd to 3rd transition and no passing gear. (This week's science lesson, boys and girls, How Chevy Should Never Have Made Their Electronic Transmission. Thankfully, we bought the extended warranty nine months ago when we had this transmission put in. And just so you don't believe everything you read, this Suburban isn't from the Carter administration. Our last Suburban was from the early, early Reagan era, but that one died a relatively peaceful death a couple years ago. This one is just a wee pup, a three-legged pup, evidently, but still not even ten yet. It does have heat, though, oh yes, it has wonderful, working heat!

Let's see, only two boys threw up on the return trip, so that's not a bad average.

The amount of laundry waiting for me is beyond intimidating, particularly since we didn't have the energy to take it farther than the foyer when we unloaded last night. The dining room looks like a convention for chronic runaways, with all the plastic bags filled with mismatched clothing and dirty socks.

It's now eleven thirty, Jacob and John are painfully perky and awake up in our room, James may be forced out of bed by hunger at some point, but that's not likely to be this morning. I'm going to feed the Wee Ones and get some wash going. Will be back later today to play around and bore you with our lesson ideas for the Spring '05 school term. Then off to read blog buddies and check the overflowing email. (I had no idea how frustrating it would be to be without internet access for days on end! Hah! Who needs cable when you have an ISP? Hee hee!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! You've been on my mind. I'm glad to see you made it home safely. Get in touch when life settles down (well, I guess that never really happens, but you know what I mean!)

Anonymous said...

::blush:: That first comment would be by me....Laura aka Linkobutfrus aka Obviously a Little Ditzy.

Heather said...

Welcome home! Not sure if you saw that Shannon had her baby. Go look for an email from Mike (baby is John Edward) Mom and baby are doing great. I missed you sweetie. I'll send you an email tomorrow when you have had a chance to dig out from under the piles. Heather

J-Lynn said...

I'm SOOOO glad you're home!!!

My mid-day break has expired so I kind of sped read through that but I'll come back later tonight when the kids are in bed and read it better.

The important thing you are home and back in blogland - YAY!!!

Love and missed you!
Jess

Kim said...

Welcome home, Dy! I've been praying for your safety as you travel!

I'm glad you're back. I missed your blog.

Linda said...

Welcome home, Dy! It's so good to know you're safely back home. You've been missed.