Tuesday, December 28

Sad News to Share Today

On Christmas Day, amidst the excitement that accompanies every Christmas when you are six and four (and even one), intertwined with the joy of seeing my brother-in-law engaged to his wonderful girlfriend, we received some most unwelcome news. This pregnancy has come to an end. I hope soon that the process will be finished and the healing may begin. We have not yet told the boys, but please say a prayer that we will have the words to tell them and then to be there for them.

I wrote this from Corona the other night, not sure what I had to say, only that I needed to write. I am sharing it here, unedited...

The thoughts are there, certainly, formed and powerful, undulating like waves in a swelling sea. Emotions, rising in temperature and intensity, come frothing at the break of the larger waves, where swells can no longer contain the power or urgency of the sea.

I am weak-kneed and awe-struck. Suddenly I am small, perhaps six, standing for the first time at the edge of a swaying pier, terrifyingly aware of how large, how unknown (unknowable?) the world is.

Yet I am old, and comforted by life; the same writhing, changing life that once haunted the child. In the rhythms of this sea there is a constancy, even among the changes.

While my mind gropes for control, for understanding, my heart knows that I cannot steer the passage. I have not seen the whole of the ocean, nor viewed the depths to which it opens. Like that small child, I see the beach or the cliffs and I want to go there, climb them. I see the squall approaching and I want to avoid that. The old woman dries the tears of the child and explains that there are things we may not know, cannot know. There are jagged reefs we do not see, dangerous currents we cannot maneuver ourselves.

"Sit quietly, child. This ship can weather the squall. It is strong and dry. It is captained by one far wiser than we, one who has plumbed the depths and has seen the whole of the sea.

I would not stop your grief, and I cannot stop you from seeking explanation. It is good to feel with your whole being and to seek understanding. But, my child, do not be angry if you cannot comprehend. We are very small, and for all the wonders we have seen and held, there are myriad others we will never touch."

My journey continues into farther waters, guided well, accompanied by the finest souls to set foot on this earth. Though I will, from time to time, glance longingly over my shoulder, please do not mistake my sadness for ingratitude toward the course set for me. For though I did not set foot upon that beach or climb those soaring cliffs, I saw them and dreamed them. And they were magnificent.

That experience is forever added to my chest, a bittersweet jewel among the most resplendent of treasures I already hold dear. It cannot dull the brilliant blues I have beheld, nor hollow the deep, rich browns in which I have wrapped myself.

No, I am most certainly not adrift and the journey is no less incredible, the experience no less humbling, for these rough and looming seas through which we must pass.

As always, kiss those babies.
~Dy

32 comments:

Julie D. said...

Dy, I am so very sorry for your loss. The poetic beauty of your writing is testimony to the strength of your character and of your faith. I will be praying for you in this time of mourning.

Anonymous said...

Patty in WA here--I am sorry It is sad to me, and incomprehsible. You and Zorak and your family are in my heart--and still, still, in the arms of God. I'm so sorry.

J-Lynn said...

WOW Dyan. Wow, wow, wow.

Your writing is nothing short of amazing. I am SO sorry for the reason for it but do you realize how amazing what you wrote is? You are amazing.

Remember, despite the fact that we may feel far away sometimes, I love you and so does God.

Many hugs and still my prayers,

Jess

Amy said...

Dy, I am so sorry. I've been where you are and I just wish I could reach out and hug you tight right now. What you have written is a blessing to me all these years later.

I'm praying for your beautiful family, and especially for you tonight.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to read your sad news. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Donna Boucher said...

Oh no. I'm so sorry.
May you find comfort.
Donna

Anonymous said...

Oh Dy. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

RyGirl

Anonymous said...

Im so sorry Dy. I will be sending healing prayers to you and Charles. - shannon

Anonymous said...

Oh, Dy, I'm so sorry. I remember all too well the emotions of losing a pg and having it happen during the christmas holidays. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I know you will find the right words to tell the boys. You are an awesome Mom, so you will say just the right thing.

I'm sending you all lots of hugs. Have a safe trip, and I'll look forward to hearing from you when you return.

{{{HUGS}}}

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Dee here. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Your writing is absolutely amazing to me as well. My eyes swelled with tears while reading as I also felt your depth of understanding and knowledge. You are such a beautiful person and I will be praying for you and your family, as well as praying for healing and a safe return home.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, not being the exquisite writer that you are (that piece above was breathtaking), I don't have the words to express how sorry I am that you are going through this. May God be with you and your family, recognize your pain, and give you comfort. A salve on the open wound of your heart. I'm sure that when you're ready to talk with the boys, you'll find the right words. You're an amazing mom.

{{{hugs}}}

Shawnda

Anonymous said...

Dy honey,

You and Charles are in my thoughts. You know that I have so recently been amidst similar grief and reading your blog entry bought tears to my eyes. I am sending all the hugs and love I can muster over that big old ocean. I am here if you need me.

Jessi xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear darling Dy, I'm so sorry.

Thank you for sharing what you wrote. It chokes me up. You know ... the big lump in the throat.

be

Kim said...

{{{{{Dy}}}}} I cannot say I know how you feel, because I don't. All I can offer to you is that you and Zorak and the boys will be in my prayers.

God be with you.

Claudia said...

Dy, I am so sorry. I love you!

Crissy said...

I am so sorry, Dy and family, for your loss. May He comfort you and give you peace.
I pray that you will find the words for your sons.
Crissy

Anonymous said...

Dear Dy and family, I am so sorry for your loss. I am praying. Love Janet

Heather said...

Oh sweetie I am so sorry. I wish I was there to give you a huge hug and let you cry on my shoulder. Please let Charles know I'm thinking about you guys. I know those sweet little boys will try to understand and in the long run they will help you get thru this. Call me if you need to talk.

All my love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Oh dear Dy,
How sad this news is, but how eloquently you wrote about it. It takes me back so many years ago to when I was going through it, and you said it all so beautifully. You and your family are in my thoughts.
LB

Anonymous said...

Hugs Dy! This is Tracey. I will keep you, Charles, and your boys in my thoughts and prayers. Please let me know if there is anything you need.

Staci Eastin said...

Dy,

I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and your family.

J-Lynn said...

Oh Dy... I just came back to let you know I was still thinking about you guys and praying for you all. Look how loved you are!!! I'm so grateful, you deserve all of these readers love and much more. May their words be a salve to your wound.

Love you,

Jess

Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry to hear this. You and the family will be in my prayers as you begin a journey of healing.

Your post was beautiful.

Cheryl (konk)

Bec said...

I am so sorry. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I have no doubt that the Lord will give you the right words of comfort for your sons. Your writing is beautiful.

Michele

Linda said...

Oh, Dy! Words cannot express my sadness at your loss. May the the Lord surround you with His perfect peace and comfort at this time. I believe, from reading your poignant post, that He has already given you these precious gifts. Thank you for sharing them with us in the midst of your pain.

You are loved with an everlasting love, and underneath are His everlasting arms.

Anonymous said...

((((((((((Dy)))))))))) Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Such a beautiful post. Praying for peace and comfort for you and your family. Be safe.

Laura aka Linkobutfrus

Di said...

Dy,

Wow. As a new viewer of your blog, this is an amazing introduction to the person you are. Boy, am I glad I stopped by. You have my prayers, and my deep appreciation.

Diane in No. Cal.

Treasured Grace said...

So so sorry about your loss. Prayers and hugs for you and Zorak. SA Canada(treasuredgrace)

L said...

Oh, Dy, so sorry to hear of your sad news. Wishing you and the boys peace.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry! I hope you will find the peace and comfort you need.

Korrie in UT

Stephanie not in TX said...

Oh, Dy. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your strong, eloquent self with us, and take care of yourself.