Tuesday, December 21

Howdy From New Mexico

Oh, guys, this trip has been so much fun! We're at Granny's now. The boys are off scouting for a Christmas tree with Zorak and Granny. The Smidge and I are hanging out, doing wash and, erm, well, checking email. OK, he's napping, I'm checking email! How fun to find comments- hi guys! Thanks for leaving notes- I don't feel like we're "gone" now. Thanks. :-)

Diane- I would love to meet up with y'all in Phoenix! That would be such fun. If my phone ever arrives, I'll email you the number (yeah, paid for two day shipping and as of Saturday it still hadn't arrived at home- grrrr) and we'll make plans.

Linda- Beef Jerky and peanut butter count for protein, right? ;-)

Stephanie- so, no chance you'll be going west, through New Mexico, first- then on to Arkansas???

Staci- I thought of you as we drove through MO! Well, we more just sort of clipped MO. It's so pretty down that way. I think we stopped at one of the bait, tackle 'n steak places. It's nice to be able to eat and buy ammo in one fell swoop, isn't it? We bought fireworks, too. (Somehow, men never outgrow their fondness for fireworks, do they? I think Zorak had more fun than the boys did!)

I don't know if it's hormones or if I'm just being all girly right now, but I nearly cried several times when we hit West Texas- all the familiarity, the things we know, things that make us smile seemed to bombard my senses. Ian Tyson's lilting voice over the radio, crazy in love, enamorado, alone out on The Llano Estacado; the Dairy Queen, as the place to be, in each small town; population signs with only three digits; valley sprinklers (which we first saw in Alabama, and I teared up then, too). It just felt very good not to feel quite so foreign for a bit, to know where we were by feel and smell, then to see it all laid out as we topped the Caprock.

Our foray up into Oklahoma put us into New Mexico late last night, but it was oh, so worth it! The children (all seven of them!) had a great time at Jess'. They took us out for Mexican food- real Mexican food. With green chile! WeeHa! That was heavenly. The expressions on the staff at the restaurant were priceless when we traipsed in and asked for seating for eleven. However, it's easy when you get the hang of it- four adults, so that's one at each corner; littlest ones by Moms; everyone else in the middle. Not bad. We got a great shot of everyone at the table- I'll post it when we get home. Charles wanted to tuck Belle into his coat pocket and bring her home. Alyssa said we couldn't take Belle, but she'd come with us. They have the sweetest children.

Then we headed on to Aunt Bonnie and Uncle John's. I was going to blog from there, but truthfully, I couldn't pull myself away from the kitchen table. The coffee was hot and plentiful, the company was wonderful, the conversation was enjoyable. No offense, but the computer just can't compete with that. I wish y'all could meet Aunt Bonnie- she is so very much like Mom in all the wonderful ways that make me smile. I felt like we were back in one of the houses I'd grown up in, and that was a very warm, fuzzy feeling. The boys fell in love with Holly, Aunt Bonnie and Uncle John's wee chihuahua. Once she realized they weren't going to squish her, I think she kinda warmed up to them, too. Now they want to move to Oklahoma and have horses and visit Holly! (That's all the important criteria for a move when you're four and six!)

We'll be busy the next few days with visiting cousins and aunts and uncles in the area, catching up with old friends of Zorak's, and preparing for Christmas. My mother-in-law said this morning, "We can just buy the pies and we'll make the candy!" Oh, JOY! (Picture me, doing the Snoopy Happy Dance.) This lady makes the most decadent candies! As a matter of fact, two years ago, we didn't realize I was pregnant with Jacob because I'd eaten so many of her pecan logs that I honestly thought I was just getting fat. *grin* I hope she'll make me a few for the trip back, too.

Anyway, that's all the news that's fit to print today. Will blog again soon.

Kiss those babies!
Dy

8 comments:

Linda said...

I'm picturing you doing the Snoopy Happy Dance! Thank you for sharing your trip with us. I am enjoying all your warm fuzzies!!!

Stephanie not in TX said...

Not a chance, though I've never been to New Mexico and always thought I'd like it.

We're heading to Arkansas right after Christmas, about halfway up the state, near the OK border, OUTSIDE a city of about 5,000 folks. My in-laws have their street named after them, that's how small the place is.

Email me, though, at mamalynx at gmail dot com if you will be anywhere in OK or AR next week ... when are you heading back home?

Anonymous said...

WHAT??? I go on a little vacation from blogs and this just happens to be the time you drop that bombshell?

Next time I have 50 piles of Christmas gifts to make and temporarily dump the computer you are soooo not allowed to make such an announcement.

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS! I think four is quite a good number myself. I suppose we'll both find out soon enough, huh?

Cheryl (a.k.a. Konk who STILL has not gotten around to getting a blogger account.)

Amy said...

Glad you guys are having a good trip. Be safe and have a wonderful time!

Kim said...

I completely understand the emotion you feel when you get "home." When we got home to Saskatchewan and Manitoba, I get very emotional when I see the big sky, and the last vestiges of remaining grain elevators. It's nice to get "home."

Blessings to you, Dy. Get lots of rest!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dy! Glad to hear you are well! If all you can do is pull off the road in Phoenix for a quick hello and hug, I'll be there. Are you getting email? I don't think I should post phone numbers :) Have fun Dy and family!!

Anonymous said...

Love Janet

Anonymous said...

Well, I tried to post under my name, but am having problems. I am both excited for you and, I must admit, a little JEALOUS that you have SNOW!!

I am glad you are having such a great time on your trip. You guys are troopers for traveling so far!

Throw a snowball for me!

Love,
Marita