Thursday, December 2

Oh my.

We began reading Oliver Twist last night. I had hoped that the boys would enjoy following the adventures of a young lad (shooting for the whole identify with the main character thing). What I did not anticipate is that the story would touch the boys so deeply.

John was on the verge of tears at several points. He often interrupts stories or conversations with, "If I was there, I'd *insert noble dragon-slaying knight-errant thing here*." Usually he's all about decapitation. The more suffering on the villan's part, the better. Last night, however, his interruptions were of a different and quite touching kind. "If I was in this story, I would bring him a candle and an apple... If I was there, I would let him have my blanket and share my bananas with him." Young Oliver's dilemma has sparked a deeply humane and tender portion of John's Knightly tendencies.

James, as well, reacted quite forcefully, his wee voice taut and slow. "But if we met a child like him, you and Daddy would adopt him, wouldn't you? You wouldn't just leave him like that, would you?" He looked at me almost accusingly. James seems to be coming into a beautiful new awareness of his (our) ability to help others, to steer the ship for good or evil. He's losing a lot of the natural egocentricity so normal in little ones. I saw it full force last night.

Oh my.

How can we doubt (or forget) the influence exerted upon us, upon our thoughts and our vision, by that which we put into our minds? How can we think that the emotions and images evoked by words and pictures do not cause some reverberation in our hearts and minds? I have always known and believed that, but do believe I've become complacent in the worldly knowledge and the filters I've designed for my own use. What about the boys? Their realm is growing, and with it comes the occasional harsh existence, sad story, painful betrayal. In every moment we have as parents, we have opportunities to help our children develop their filters, shape their worldview, and define their vision. Do we remember that?

Oh my.

We will certainly finish the story. They need to see the goodness and fortitude come through in the story. The need to know Oliver is OK. We spent nearly two hours snuggled together before bed last night. Our reading time interspersed with many questions, discussions, examples, anecdotes, and assurrances. After all, that's part and parcel of reading aloud, of addressing bigger topics, and of being a parent. And yet another example of that which is so easy to take for granted - until you are face-to-face with the deeply touching benevolence in your children's beautiful eyes. Until you can run your fingers through the trust they have in you - to help them make sense of things, to guide and model how they are to respond to things in this world.

Oh my.

What a blessing they are.

I am feeling pretty humbled today.

Kiss those babies.
Dy

3 comments:

Kim said...

Dy, what a beautiful way to teach compassion to your boys. They are showing their compassion without even courting it, or hinting that they need to have it. That is a beautiful picture!

J-Lynn said...

They are too sweet Dy, and so are you. WHat great quality memories you are creating!

Julie D. said...

What a beautiful story Dy. Those boys are going to turn into wonderful young men thanks to all you are teaching them. The thing that I love about children (even the older ones like my teenagers) is that they help keep that filter stripped away. I suppose that is part of what is meant when people say they keep us young but also it is that they remind us of what matters.