Friday, December 3

Helicopters and Seafood!

Zorak brought back a little plastic helicopter for each of the boys. He had them out last night, showing them to me, and we forgot to stow them upon retiring. This morning the neighbors probably thought we were celebrating Christmas early. The boys came bounding into our room, shouting, "There are HELICOPTER TOYS downstairs by the television! There's even something for JACOB!"

The next seven hours are a blur of plastic things whizzing past my head, over the fence, and into the kitchen. Inside. Outside. From outside, in. Upside down. It was helicopter heaven. Boys laughing. Giggling. Gleeful and excited. Zorak upped the ante by crafting more flying things for the boys to launch from their 'Copter Launchers. He made UFO's from just about anything he could get his hands on: popsicle sticks, coffee can lids, Enchurrito containers from Taco Bell, cardboard. We have flying mechanisms all over this living room.

We went for supper at Captain Pat's Seafood on Route 235. I have now thoroughly embarrassed myself in public and proven that I am not what you'd call "A Seafood Person". Evidently I am the only person in the history of the world who has been on the verge of throwing up when presented with a hot, steaming pile of food bathed - nay, infused with and buried in - Old Bay Seasoning. I asked if, since the menu didn't say the meal would be covered in this stuff, it was possible to get some that was clean, er, plain. She looked at me like I was an alien, "You mean you want it WITHOUT the Old Bay?" Please. *wavering smile*

She did. We ate. The food is really quite good. Their whiting is tasty. The crab was delicious. Their hushpuppies have a good flavor. The shrimp were yummy. Of course, it took me ages to eat mine because I simply must "clean" them (de-vein them... you know what I'm talking about...) and these were doozies! Wow. I'm not knocking it, and once I got them all clean, I enjoyed them tremendously. I'm just sayin' I didn't know a person could have the willies for two hours straight. That's all. Like I said, evidently I'm not A Seafood Person.

However, if you're in St. Mary's Co. and want a decent, casual evening out with good food (and all the Old Bay you can stand), at a leisurely pace, this is the 100% spot-on place to go! We've found our local spot to take company. We will feed them Old Bay before we go so if they don't like it, they can say something while ordering. If they like it, they're set!

Tomorrow we begin a Project (cue heroic music!). -You have to use your big Voice Over Announcer Guy voice for anything in italics in this part- This one will be The Toy Rack. For those who've been with us through The Awning and then through The Coffee Table, you know what you're in for. For those who are just joining us, you're in for a good laugh.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Kim said...

My hubby and dd don't like seafood much, either, but the boys and I do. We went to a restuarant called Red Lobster, and my dd was stunned. "You mean, they just sell seafood?" Well, the name of the place was a good hint. Fortunately, they did have chicken on the menu. I love seafood, but don't like the sound of sauce on it. Like mine au naturel.

J-Lynn said...

Kim, I eat the chicken on the Red Lobster menu too, DH eats the steak. We just go for the nice atmosphere, garlic biscuits, and caesar salad...LOL And to provide a chance for the kids to have seafood if they want ti, DH and I both hate it (cept for baked clams).

Dy, can't wai tto hear the stories about the toy rack...LOL

Jess

Linda said...

I love the picture you painted of the whizzing helicopters. How fun! Our boys would fit right in with yours. We've got aircraft nuts under our roof as well. :-)

Dy said...

Oh, now I like Red Lobster! But Red Lobster doesn't have that "fresh fish" smell. It's sanitized and removed from the actual process. It's like a real restaurant. (which is strange, coming from me- I usually don't like things sanitized). I don't know what the commercial seafood industry does to fish-related foods to take that stench out of them before they get to the grocery and the stores, but I LIKE IT! LOL.