Sunday, December 19

Hey, check that out-

I remembered my login information! WOOHOO!

Howdy from Arkansas! We've covered a little over 1100 miles so far, and the trip is going incredibly well. The boys are great little travellers. James has chain stitches about half the skein of yarn (it's now difficult to get him in and out of the Suburban and takes a while to divest him of all the random strings), John is enjoying the scenery and all the birds (birds! who'd a guessed that's what would catch his eye?), and Jacob seems to be quite tickled that we haven't turned him backwards again. It's as if he relishes each trip facing forward, just in case.

They're looking forward to the destination, but with no whining or fuss. I'm so proud of them.

We left Thursday night and drove straight through the night. Zorak drove until three, then I drove while he slept. We breakfasted in... in... hmm... I can't remember where we ate. It was, of course, a Waffle House, but in the south that doesn't exactly narrow it down to any one town, does it? Then we popped in to Huntsville and stayed Friday night there. Lovely little area! Wow, it's just gorgeous, and the folks are so friendly. And the mountains.... ahhhhhh.

We drove on yesterday, stopping only when we lost power steering and coolant. Yikes! Initial diagnosis: "Something seized up and threw the belt. Please, please don't let it be the water pump." Zorak set to work doing the things he does so well while I sat in the Suburban, knitting furitively, envisioning our weekend in the little hotel behind the "Grab 'em Grub Shack" (bait or steak? I have no idea!) while we had to order the imagined part that nobody in a 3000 mile radius keeps in stock. (Hey, it's happened before!) Turned out that, no, it's not a weird part, it was in stock and half an hour later we were back on the road with a nifty new idler wheel and serpentine belt. (Zorak wanted me to point out that he even asked for directions to the nearest auto parts place! hee hee He was feelin' mighty good.)

Today we get to spend the day with Jess in OK and her wonderful, wonderful family! I'm so excited!!! Then it's off to see Aunt Bonnie and Uncle John, two folks who are sort of like a gift from Mom. They are both so great, and were such good friends with Mom that it makes me smile. I'll tell you more all about them when I have more time to do them justice.

Anyhow, I haven't checked new email or done any blog running, but I'd better head out and get back on the road. (Wouldn't want to wait until Jess is dressed or anything! hee hee!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Violet N. said...

Dear Dy, have been furtively reading your blog for a while now. This takes me back to trips when my babies were little - a few years ago now. Just be thankful no one has taught them (or you) the song:

"Are we there yet?
No we're not.
When will we get there?
Not for a long time...."

Blessings on the road as you keep smiling - and knitting!

Kim said...

Glad to hear how you're doing Dy. I was thinking about you before I went to sleep last night. Keep on knitting!

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear from you! You are so brave and adventurous. Have fun! Love Janet.

Stephanie not in TX said...

You silly. We will probably be in Arkansas NEXT weekend. How long are you sticking around?

J-Lynn said...

It was SOOOOOO nice to see you and the family Dy! Praying for a safe trip for you all the rest of the way. Can't wait to see the pics!

Tenniel said...

Dy,

Congrats on your great news! I am excited for you. Your family will be in my prayers especially as you face this trip. Happy Holidays!

Peace,
Tenn

Linda said...

How fun to get a report from the road. Praying for traveling mercies for all of you! Don't forget to eat protein, Dy! ;-)

Staci Eastin said...

In MY town, the bait and tackle store doubles as a restaurant. Yuuummmy! We are, incidentally, not very far from the Arkansas border.