Saturday, May 15

Yeah, it's hard not to blog...

We had the sweetest day today!

I heard, through my groggy morning-brain haze, Zorak tell the boys, "Let's let Mommy get some rest, she's sleepy." Mmm, I spread out on the cool sheets (something that's nearly impossible to do with four high-metabolism bodies squished into bed w/ me), flipped my pillow over to the cool side, and dozed back off... heavenly.

When I came downstairs, the coffee was fresh, and the boys said cheerily, "We're cleaning the house for you!" My heart beamed at their joy. I could not see a single difference at all, except that the house glowed with love and appreciation now, even amidst the clutter and miscellaneous "stuff" piled here and there.

We enjoyed a nice morning playing, gathering, and planning our day. We went to Wal-Mart and bought the boys some summer clothes. James picked out his own shirts. *sniff* He's getting so big and independent. He picked a "cool" Bugle Boy t-shirt that I wouldn't have picked (it's not offensive, just looks "older" than I evidently am geared toward...) He is growing up in many wonderful ways, and I'm trying to let him. *cringe*

Lunch at the buffet! Oh yeah, all-you-can-eat. This is the way large families can afford to eat out! Good stuff.

We came home, and as we walked in, John let out a HUGE sigh, saying, "It's so nice to come home to a clean house." I could have died laughing! It was so heartfelt, and so genuine. What a neat kid.

It was too hot 'n sticky (read: generally, temps over 80'F and humidity over 15%, although today it was WAY over that) to do anything but read and watch a movie. Oh, and nap. We napped. I'm really quite serious about that whole "summer hibernation" theme!

We had our first hands-on experience with ticks in Maryland today. Oh... dear... God. Poor Jacob. At first, I thought it was a crumb, but it wouldn't wipe away (diaper change, no less). Then I thought, "A scab? How would he get a scab THERE?" I checked his nails. Nope, all short... ACK! OMG!!! THAT'S A TICK!!! We got it off, and as of bedtime there was no rash and no swelling. Lyme's is pretty big here, and I'm more than a little freaked out over this whole thing.

Tonight I noticed James' light was still on, so peeked in to see what was going on. He was sitting in bed, drawing. My first instinct was to reprimand him for being up... I'm glad I curbed that reaction. We had the neatest visit. He was drawing music notes, rests, staffs, cleffs. He was drawing them freehand and they are absolutely beautiful! He shared with me all his drawings and what he was going to do next. I kissed him and told him how amazed I am with his interest and talent. He kissed me back and said "Thanks, Mom. I love this." I slipped back downstairs with my head shaking: who would have guessed one of my children would have artistic abilities like that? So I told Zorak, "His light's on. You have GOT to go see what he's drawing. It's amazing!" I want to scan them in- they're just beautiful drawings.

Sometimes, among the guiding and teaching, cleaning and feeding and sorting, running about and praying for sleep, we have the opportunity to be the mothers we want to be remembered as, and we must make use of those moments. Parenting is a moment-by-moment thing, and eventually all those moments come together to create the picture that will be your life. Your final masterpiece. It's in those moments that you get to decide whether you'll pay attention to details, like a twinkle in the eye or a mysterious smile. It's in those moments that you will figure prominently in the composition of your picture, or you will be absent from it. Will your picture be rich in literature and history and emotion, or will it be barren and bereft of connection? Will it be fraught with fear, or will it dance with delight and fortitude?

Choose well.

Dy

No comments: