Thursday, May 27

I like Latin!

This morning, over breakfast, James asked me if Prima Latina meant "First Latin". We launched into a great discussion of Latin words and derivatives. He mulled it over a bit and finally declared, "I like Latin. Latin makes sense."

Jumping Lessons! We like to put a little oomph into our lessons, so today we did Latin, Math and Grammar while jumping on the bed. We reviewed vocabulary: I called out the English word and if the boys knew the Latin word, they could yell it out as they bounced off the bed. We did grammar: they had to act out the parts of speech, verbs, prepositions, and adjectives (those were just for pure silliness, but tons of fun!) We did math: word problems for each boy, but I had to pretend to be "the mean lady who won't let anybody smile and doesn't like it when kids answer the questions correctly". It took us half an hour to do math review because the minute I frowned and said, in my gruffest voice, "Don't you smile! Ahhh- I saw that!" they'd erupt in laughter that could only be quelled by winding down on its own.

I love days like today.

We had ice cream for snack and read stories in the grass outside. They got to ride their bikes "all the way around the complex!" (Which, when you are three and five, is a most exciting adventure, indeed!) I adjusted the seat on James' bike (because he's grown since September and he was starting to look like one of those Shriner Clowns on a mini bike). He is convinced I made the bicycle unstable.

Jacob has broken out in a rash. I have attributed his recent fever and irritability to his teething, but now I'm a bit worried. I'm calling a doctor tomorrow. Please keep the little guy in your prayers. He did have a slice of orange today, compliments of his generous big brothers, so I am hoping and praying the rash is just an allergic reaction to the citrus.

Zorak is ready to do a little "emotional unpacking," which is very good news, indeed. It means that he's beginning to embrace the idea of actually "living" here while we're here. It's a place he has had to come to on his own, and while I haven't pushed, I am very excited that he's "there" now. It's been a different transition for me, as I felt that I had to "be there" out of necessity to make things "normal" for the boys, but now I'm excited that we're all on the same page.

Did I tell you we bought Zorak's birthday present? The boys are so excited, and have done a wonderful job of not letting the secret slip! They're so funny. They insist that we use hushed tones when discussing it, and James has all the paraphernalia stashed under his bed. They are too funny. I had hoped to do a big bbq for his birthday this weekend, but as of tonight he has given me neither a list of names to contact for invitations, nor a scheduled time of his choosing (and just let everyone else know about it). So it looks like we may just have a small gathering of whomever is home. I know, it's his birthday, but I love entertaining. I love having gatherings and feeding people (that's the Southern part of me there). We always did big bbq's and gatherings, and I can't help but feel that picking up that tradition would help make this place feel more like home. *sigh* It's ok. Like I said, it is, after all, his birthday, not mine. We'll still make it a happy one!

And, just because I don't think I've done a quiz since I've been here (and it's just not a useless blog w/o a quiz, doncha know!) Here is one where I actually don't feel gypped! (With thanks to... was it Rebel? Where did I get this??) Anyhow, here ya go:


You are a descriptive writer. An avid reader of
Robert Frost, perhaps, you LOVE to use flowery
words and use the paper and pen as your canvas
and paintbrush. You prefer to paint a mental
image rather than simply toy around with
people's minds. A very inspired person, you
love to be in nature and usually are a very
outdoorsy type of person. A writer with a
natural green thumb, perhaps?


What's YOUR Writing Style?
brought to you by Quizilla

No comments: