Thursday, May 20

A Potpourri of Blog...

A little of this and a pinch of that today. Actually, that's sort of how I make soup, come to think of it.

9:45pm-blogging solo tonight- the baby is asleep!

Well, first off, this was linked on TWTM forums today, and I got a big kick out of it. Dick and Jane, if written by Poe... too funny! Actually, I read the whole blog of Bob the Ape, and he's a great new blogger!

10:10pm- now up w/ baby-

Motherhood teaches us a lot, the strangest of which hit me today- only a mother with a diapered child would understand that you can pretty well sum up a situation by sniffing someone's rear end. Dogs aren't so stupid, after all! *Note: this is NOT recommended for anyone outside the parent/diapered child relationship! Failure to follow this guideline may result in very awkward, embarrassing events.*

10:40pm-this isn't going well- he should be out by now!

Melissa sent me this link, about why we should never post a photo on the internet, which has me in stitches at eleven thirty at night!

11:50pm- ARGH! I'm walking with this child and I think we're halfway to Rivendell by now! HELP!

OK, so Jacob is helping me blog tonight. Or rather, he's irritated and grouchy that he is still up. He can't help it, though, as a quick peek in his wee mouth revealed not one or two, but FOUR teeth trying to push their way through. He's gassy, sleepy, in pain (I think he may have fluid building up in his ears- he started grabbing at his ear over supper)... He is, in short, miserable. He has also become a relentlessly gnawing toothless gopher and I am pretty much desperate at this point. I just put him in the neglect-o-matic (swing) to see if the motion will help soothe him.

While I'm up at midnight w/ a teething child and coming up on a Friday I'm just not looking forward to one bit, I'd like to say that Joyce is one of the neatest people. She is just selfless in her patience and humor, and she makes me feel so much better after a chat. :-)

Let's see, what else?

The boys are going to a play tomorrow night! The neighbor's daughter is having her end-of-year school play tomorrow night and the neighbors asked if they could take the boys for supper, to see the play, then perhaps to the park. I always panic at the thought of the boys being without my supervision, but we trust these neighbors, the kids do all get on quite well... I'm still anxious as heck, though.

(The swing didn't help, trying to brainstorm, but am only getting a mild breeze and some slight humidity.)

Ragin Dave left a cute note about submission... "If I want a part of my family to be submissive, I'll get a dog". I can appreciate that. Those who have known me for years usually get that cock-eared, RCA puppy expression when they hear me use the word "submission" in a context other than "to put in for; apply". I guess it's pretty well-established that the term, submission, evokes images of one (usually assumed to be a woman) who has no thought of her own, no desires of her own, and certainly no opinion of her own. I loved Samantha's recent musings on how submission is tailored to each marriage just as each person is tailored to his or her marriage. What constitutes me being "submissive" to my husband probably wouldn't even count for some ladies I know. Conversely, if I tried to be like they are, my wonderful Zorak would most likely take me in for some kind of shock therapy to rid me of it. At the very least, he'd walk quickly ahead of me in public, moving in a zig-zag motion and glancing over his shoulder occasionally to see if I'm still stalking him. It would be horribly uncomfortable for all involved, indeed.

It just struck me as funny to think what image pops into visitor's heads when they come here and read about "submission" from me, the One Most Far Removed From Position of Uber-Wife. (I'm pretty sure that's an actual Viking title from the early 1300's.) I dunno, but I can tell you Jess is laughing at me right now.

12:49AM! OK, I'm back. Warm bath with lavendar oils, massage, dim lights... that did the trick. Unfortunately, it also sucked all will to stay awake from my frail bones, too. He's not asleep, but he is significantly calmed and much happier now. I feel better having been able to help alleviate some of his pain and misery.

It's funny the things that make me feel "successful" now, vs. the things that would have made that same top five list ten years ago. The things that mean the most are the things that make me feel like a good Mom, a good wife. What are your top five?

I look forward to hearing them!

1:04am- Houston, the Eagle has LANDED!!! (He's sound asleep!) I'm off to follow suit!

G'night,
Dy

No comments: