Wednesday, May 12

Wednesday Already?

Wow, the mind is still going, albeit slowly, downhill. Could've sworn it was only Tuesday.

Ah, well, we had a good day schooling: Bible, Math, Reading, Grammar, Phonics, Latin, Music (had to throw music in when I realized I'd planned to do it M,W,F.. and with today being W and all...) The boys are wonderful. I, however, am horribly behind-the-curve. Thank heaven for resiliency!

You know, we just don't "do" formal science yet. Some days I feel somewhat neglectful about that, and come next year, when we have to register with the gestapo, I'm going to have to pull something out of the hat. I am, however, fairly convinced that the Robinson way is a good idea. Besides, we watch enough bugs, discuss digestion ad nauseum (*grin*), and touch on myriad other topics regularly. They are not suffering from a lack of "formal" science. Maybe I will talk them into creating sketch journals of things that fascinate them. I did pick up a "How to Draw Insects" book last month that touches on the anatomical details in a very neat way... hmmm. Well, we have enough on our plates right now. Talk to me in August. ;-)

We hit Target today. I had to buy a few tops. Found a cute one: flourescent yellow tank with powder blue swirls all over it. The boys said it's not a top for a grownup. They laughed hysterically when I put it in the basket. They don't believe me when I tell them it's for me. When did I become too- whatever- to wear bright yellow shirts with geometric designs?

Our little frog was back tonight. John has claimed it as "the family frog". He sits at the back screen door for long stretches of time, watching it hop about, eat ants, and croak. He thoroughly loves that frog. I need to touch base with our neighbor about the tadpoles. We spent some time tonight on the internet looking up the care and feeding of tadpoles. I think we can do that. We may even have better luck than we did with the fish!

Oh, and I've got to share a recipe! Normally, I DETEST, loathe, and in general DO NOT LIKE cole slaw. (Well, except for the stuff from KFC, which is actually ambrosia, and not like cole slaw at all.) However, we had half a head of cabbage languishing in the fridge. I hate to waste food. I had nothing to prepare it with (according to the umpteen some-odd cookbooks that inhabit my kitchen.) Then I found this recipe: fresh apple-slaw.

I read the ingredients.

I cringed. "Ewwww," I thought.

I looked for other options.

Nothing.

So.

I made it.

With a great deal of trepidation. (I even prefaced supper with a disclaimer: "The cabbage salad has not been tested on the open market, nor have its claims been verified by the FDA. You are required to taste it and report your findings back to me, and only me. Should you choose to accept this mission, nothing further will be asked of you. Should you complete this mission, you will be given fresh berries and cream for dessert, no questions asked. Thank you.")

IT WAS GOOD!! So, here it is, in case you, too, have some random cabbage languishing in your ice box.

Fresh Apple Slaw
thinly sliced, cored, unpared red apples
finely shredded green cabbage
dairy sour cream (I substituted plain yogurt)
lemon juice (just to keep the apples from turning brown)
sugar
salt/pepper to taste
poppy seed (I didn't use this- who keeps this on hand???)

In large bowl, lightly toss all ingredients until well combined.
Refrigerate at least 1 hr. before serving.

Ta-da! How easy can it get on a hot summer night? The recipe has amounts, but to be honest, I think the actual recipe would feed a large Mormon gathering- far too much food for a small Protestant family. Just wing it. Have some fun with it. Put in enough to feed your family and add enough to make it "look right". That's the stuff true Granny-Style cooks are made of!

G'nite!
Dy

No comments: