Monday, September 1

Our Long Weekend.

We were all looking forward to a long weekend, co-oping home repairs with Ben and Claudia, and rounding it up with a BBQ and ice cream. We sure needed all three days, but not for the reasons we planned -- we all got sick. Saturday, none of us could muster any getupngo at all. The whole day felt like we were running in place. Saturday night, Zorak announced, "I'm sick." He meant it! He went to bed and we didn't see him again until this morning.

By then, it had hit Jase and Em, and me, and although I'd missed Zorak, I just felt too miserable to really be expressive about his return from the cave. Em felt so bad that she crawled in our bed around ten this morning and didn't get out until time for supper, a little after six tonight. Hallelujah, she was still dry! I wanted to climb in with her and sleep, but truthfully, I was afraid of what I'd find, so I toughed it out.

In other news...


The guys got down to the garden today to pick. So far, the only things they've brought up from the garden are cucumbers, zucchini, and okra. (Yep, them're some big cukes and zucchini. We aren't just that good, we're just that slow. They should've been picked last week sometime.) I asked Zorak if the snow peas didn't make it. He said they did, but Smidge eats them all while they're working in the garden, so there aren't any to bring up. I guess that's a sign that we need to plant more of those next year.


We still can't figure out if the pears are ready to pick yet. We figure the apples won't be ready until... early October, perhaps? (Any north/central Alabama gardeners out there who would like to chime in on estimated harvest times?)


It's okay. The pies can wait. Right now, I'm off to enjoy some Advil Cold & Sinus and a eucalyptus steambath. Because no matter how bad you feel, those kids still need to eat sometime, right? I hope it works!


Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

mere said...

Oh, Poor things!

You all need some homemade broth and sauer kraut (not together) and lots of fresh squeezed orange juice.

I hope you are all feeling much, much better tomorrow.

mere

Jenni said...

Sorry you all have been sick. I was last week. Just me. And everyone was afraid to come anywhere within a two room radius of me. Oh well, at least I didn't have to take care of them while I was sick.

Melora said...

Awww! Sorry about your lost weekend. Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Feel better, Dy!

Amy@thefoilhat.com

melissa said...

oh man! I hope that you guys are feeling better soon! The produce looks awesome, BTW!